Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Stolen xB

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member

Give it up for gap insurance!

Sorry, man. I got the chills just seeing this thread. The other day we went to the carports and someone had come by and looked in all the cars because we all had hand and face prints on our windows. This is my first new car (I drove the same one for 10 years - since I was 16) so my parents insisted on getting me an alarm. Well, my stepdad wanted me to get The Club too, but I heard those don't any good. I would hate for anyone to touch my baby, much less steal it. Especially since I was literally BEGGING for ten years for someone to steal my Honda and there were no takers.

We are all learning a very valuable lesson. It's such a shame it had to happen this way. I hope they find it and the people who stole it and pull out all their toenaiils with pliers. Thievery is not cool.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That really sucks man. It's better if you don't get it back. Who knows what the hell they did to it. The insurance (if you have full coverage) will pay for everything but your deducable. That's the best way out.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

I'm really sorry about what happened to your xB. Let's just hope that what goes around comes back in spades to the theives.

I've been doing some research on anti-theft devices and this one claims to have a 100% success rate, that is, "Not one vehicle has ever been reported stolen using the RAVELCO since its debut in 1976."

http://ravelco.com/ravelco2.htm

Has anyone else heard of this device? I called a local dealer and it costs about $299 installed.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dylan
I'm really sorry about what happened to your xB. Let's just hope that what goes around comes back in spades to the theives.

I've been doing some research on anti-theft devices and this one claims to have a 100% success rate, that is, "Not one vehicle has ever been reported stolen using the RAVELCO since its debut in 1976."

Has anyone else heard of this device? I called a local dealer and it costs about $299 installed.
I have something similar to that on my xB but it's called something else. It is shaped like a flat electronic key with trcers on it. The car will not start without it plugged in. If it is removed while the car is running it will shut off. I have that as well as the LoJack system with the early warning LoJack alarm system. I don't worry about my car too much. My motto is " If they want it bad enough , They will get it"

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-07-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just found the book. It's called the Theft Avert SAFELOK Key. This thing kicks a$$.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey munch, how much was your security system?
Old 02-17-2004, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All it is is a multi-pin plug that connects up several different circuits needed to run your car. Yes, there are a bunch of combinations.

However, it won't stop a pro thief with a tow truck. I can't believe the claim that no vehicles with this system have been stolen. Well, they kind of weasle that a bit with the word "reported", don't they.

I saw an interview with a pro thief, and he said that the systems the bothered him most were those that were obviously home-made. Thieves are very familiar with all the system sold, and they probably worked in the alarm business for a while before switching to a life of crime. The thief interviewed said "With a homebrew system you never know what some idiot has done. You might set off a flamethrower or something!"

George
Old 02-17-2004, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by danman2_2999
hey munch, how much was your security system?
I got the Lo-Jack and Lo- Jack alarm installed at the dealer. It cost me a cool $800. The SafeLok I had a friend that has a shop install that one for me. He only charged me for the dealer cost of the unit.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Did you ever get or find you xB?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

!congrats!
Old 02-25-2004, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by abbfanuc
Did you ever get or find you xB?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member

What about those alarms that beep you when it's set off, anyone got one of those?

If you're bored you and your boys can park it right outside of some slum and hide in the bushes with baseball bats. Wait for the alarm to go off and come out swinging!

I call it ghetto fishing.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hear that...the morning of The Scion Exposed Show, my car was broken into...i have pics here..read all about what they did to my xB and what they stole.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...584&highlight=

I feel ya man...I am still ____ed about it..

Makes me wonder.....when i was installing my "new" alarm :?
I noticed it would be difficult to get to the steering column wires to hotwire it.
If you notice, the sterring column cover is difficult to remove. There is one screw on the bottom side, and when u turn your wheel to one side, you can see 2 more screws that are really difficult to get to without removing the steering wheel. Same goes with the lower dash. The steering wheel must come off to remove the lower dash since it is one piece..
So my theory is must of been towed or someone has a copy of your key.

A few years back my dad left his car he used for work at a tire place a few doors down from his office (with the keys). Now keep in mind this car was a 280ZX he only bought to commute to work. He had trouble starting it in the morning. One day he comes out and it was gone...He assumed the guys at the shop looked at his address on the registration and made a copy of the key while my dad was not there..
He couldnt prove it..
Old 02-28-2004, 07:29 PM

Not only that this is terrible, but that thief was pathetic! Hey, now you know there's one person in this world lower than you xB drivers, an xB thief.

sorry about you loss. this should not happen to any car at all.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-07-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Old 02-28-2004, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you have an alarm?
Old 02-28-2004, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UrbanDrum
Did you have an alarm?
No I didn't. But I do now with a 2 way communication pager. If my alarm goes off at night, the theif will have a big surprise coming to him and he wont live another day.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by deleted01
Not only that this is terrible, but that thief was pathetic! Hey, now you know there's one person in this world lower than you xB drivers, an xB thief.
:?: :?: :?:

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-07-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thrillagorilla just ignore him/her. that persons mad cause they couldnt get an xB so he/she hates the people that do have one some people need to get a life
Old 03-01-2004, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Originally Posted by George

All it is is a multi-pin plug that connects up several different circuits needed to run your car. Yes, there are a bunch of combinations.

However, it won't stop a pro thief with a tow truck. I can't believe the claim that no vehicles with this system have been stolen. Well, they kind of weasle that a bit with the word "reported", don't they.

I saw an interview with a pro thief, and he said that the systems the bothered him most were those that were obviously home-made. Thieves are very familiar with all the system sold, and they probably worked in the alarm business for a while before switching to a life of crime. The thief interviewed said "With a homebrew system you never know what some idiot has done. You might set off a flamethrower or something!"

George
I guess then not much would stop a professiona thief with a tow truck so why bother? The thing is, out of all the car thieves out there, how many are professional? 10%? I'd rather do something that will deter the majority of car thieves so what would you recommend? A car alarm? Something like Lo-Jack that only works when your car is ALREADY gone? A Ravelco-like device? All of the above?

I guess it depends on what will give you peace of mind, but would you tell us what you recommend for those who are willing/able to spend $400 or less?
Old 03-01-2004, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Originally Posted by Munch
I just found the book. It's called the Theft Avert SAFELOK Key. This thing kicks a$$.
I did a web search (smile rbloedow) but couldn't find this device. Can you give us more information about it? Who manufactures it? A web link?

Thanks,
Dylan (sorry about the double post above... damn browser hangup)

Quick Reply: Stolen xB