Stolen xB

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dylan
Originally Posted by Munch
I just found the book. It's called the Theft Avert SAFELOK Key. This thing kicks a$$.
I did a web search (smile rbloedow) but couldn't find this device. Can you give us more information about it? Who manufactures it? A web link?

Thanks,
Dylan (sorry about the double post above... damn browser hangup)
I don't think they have a website. I got my first one from AutoLand in NJ. I got lucky on the second one that I put on my xB. My friend had one sitting in his shop and put it in for me. Now he can't get his hands on anymore. I tried to get one for CBSIMONSEZ and it's almost impossible
Old 03-03-2004, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

I'm really sorry about what happened to your xB. Let's just hope that what goes around comes back in spades to the theives.

I've been doing some research on anti-theft devices and this one claims to have a 100% success rate, that is, "Not one vehicle has ever been reported stolen using the RAVELCO since its debut in 1976."

http://ravelco.com/ravelco2.htm

Has anyone else heard of this device? I called a local dealer and it costs about $299 installed.
I have something similar to that on my xB but it's called something else. It is shaped like a flat electronic key with trcers on it. The car will not start without it plugged in. If it is removed while the car is running it will shut off. I have that as well as the lo-jack system with the early warning lo-jack alarm system. I don't worry about my car too much. My motto is " If they want it bad enough , They will get it"
Munch, what is your device called? Any links to the manufacturer's website?

I agree with your motto. My main fear is the joy-rider though, not the professional thief. Afterall, it's a $14K car, not a Range-Rover or BMW. I don't know whether there's a big market for Scion xB parts yet--are there even any other cars besides Echo's that might use Scion parts?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default start over

well hope you get a new one quickly, hope you put a zillion miles on your stolen one, so at least you'll get a new one with no miles...
Old 03-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Banned
SL Member

I just found the book. It's called the Theft Avert SAFELOK Key. This thing kicks a$$.
I did a web search (smile rbloedow) but couldn't find this device. Can you give us more information about it? Who manufactures it? A web link?

Thanks,
Dylan (sorry about the double post above... damn browser hangup)
Im seriously looking into getting the RAVELCO device. Yeah it says that there hasnt been one REPORTED theft with the device installed, but think about it, if you purchase the RAVELCO, and your car was stolen, wouldnt you place a call to RAVELCO and tell them that their product is a P.O.S. ? Thought so. Some people here are so smart, their stupid, and will find any excuse to not do something, or find fault with something.

Some things to consider with the RAVELCO ..... it is wired outside the cabin .... the wiring harness from the switch to the firewall is flexible contuit ( flexable metal hose, used in wiring houses, very hard to cut through, unless you have a hack saw, and then, who is going to lie upside down, and hack on a metal housing for 5 - 10 minutes to get your xB?) ..... apparently there are several different ways to wire it, via starter kill, fuel delviery, ECU, and others. Using all or several makes tracing the HOT wires almost impossible .... i recieved a quote this morning, $299 plus $5 for materials ( apparently they sodder everything, no wire taps ) and get this, they will come to my house and install it for another $25.

i went to a local alarm intaller, and for a typical Python alarm i was quoted $299. Im waiting to hear back from the local RAVELCO dealer about some minor issues, but i think im sold on this unit.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member

Default POST THE VIN

It may be helpful to post your VIN, that way dealers and board members can keep an eye out for it.

my 2 cents anyway
Old 03-03-2004, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member

Default POST THE VIN

It may be helpful to post your VIN, that way dealers and board members can keep an eye out for it.

my 2 cents anyway
Old 03-03-2004, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

CB, did the price they quoted you include wiring the device in just one way or all of the ways you want them to do it (i.e., the electronic fuel pump, the ignition circuit, the starter circuit, the computer, etc.)? If just one way, which way would you have them do it? Or, are you going to have them wire it in more than one way?

Also, I just emailed the guy I've been corresponding with at Northeast Ravelco with a list of questions about what exactly their "Lifetime guarantee for original owners" covers, how securely the removable plug fits into the device (i.e., whether the removable plug will fall off easily if you accidently hit it with your knee while driving), and what they recommed you do when you have to valet park your car somewhere. I'll let you know what their answers are.

By the way, are the minor issues you're asking about anything that might be good to know for others?

And finally, are you going to also purchase an alarm or either the Ravelco OR the alarm? Where I live, I'm more concerned about joyriders taking my car for a spin rather than it being stolen entirely or parts taken from it, so anything device that will deter the amateur is what I need (I'm sure there are more of them out there than the professional car thieves...at least those looking at Scions).

Thanks,
Dylan
Old 03-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Banned
SL Member

Dylan ... heres my take on the system. I wasnt really thinking of what I wanted them to wire, i was just going to leave that up to them. With so many things to choose for them to wire into, i really dont think it matters. As far as the $5, that is for sodder and other materials they may need. IMO, that isnt bad, esp. if they are going to drive from north Jersey to here and install it in my driveway. I would spend the $25 easy for time wasted, tolls, and fuel to get there and have them do the install.

I asked the rep how they "program" the units differently. They advertise "over 10,000 combonations" i just wanted to know how. I wanted to make sure that if some one else had the pass-key, that they wouldnt be able to just plug theirs in and drive off with it. Not that they would have one anyway, i havent seen nor heard of them anywhere around here before.

I think im only going to go with just the RAVELCO system. I dont carry alot of stuff in my cars, im a neat freak, and everything needs to be in its place or out of sight. I learned my lesson, i had a carrying case full of tapes ( this was b4 CDs ) stolen out of my old Nova, right in front of work! Im more concerned with some one taking off in my ride and beating it near death, and then the insurance company not totalling it out. That and if they did total it, i wouldnt be able to get another RS1.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

CB, I'm like you in that I don't keep anything of value in open view in my car. By the way, what did they say about how they "program" the different units?

Here's some more information that I got from someone at Ravelco:

About the lifetime guarantee:
The lifetime guarantee with the Ravelco is that if you ever have any problems with the device, we will repair or replace it free of charge, but it's not a guarantee to pay a certain sum of money if someone's car is stolen. We stand behind our product 100%, but we believe offering $ if a customer's car is stolen is just a gimmick, usually employed by companies whose products have a poor track record but need an angle to still make a sale.
About the installation:
In some sense, there is no standard installation because every vehicle is different, and therefore what we do is different for every vehicle. What you should know is that no matter how the Ravelco is installed or how many circuits we use, your car can't be hotwired. All the connections are made under the hood, and the thief cannot bypass it by hotwiring. $299.95 is the cost for the Ravelco installation, regardless of what specifically that installation entails. There are no hidden charges - the only extra cost is the sales tax. I can tell you that we typically disable 2 circuits, but the number one thing we won't compromise is the need to make connections under the hood - not under the dash (like so many alarm companies) where it's very easy to bypass! The way we always do our installations is to spend at least the first 10 or 15 minutes just devising our plan of attack. We figure out exactly how we're going install the Ravelco before we begin to work. Part of that process includes giving you as much choice as possible in where the Ravelco will be mounted inside the car. To date, I have never had an improper Ravelco installation.
About the Ravelco plug:
The Ravelco plug fits very securely when it's plugged in. It definitely will not fall off if it's bumped. The Ravelco comes with 2 unique plugs, and you can order as many spares as you like. If you ever happen to lose one, just order another one to keep as a spare.
About valet parking with this device:
As for the valet parking issue, one option is to just leave the plug in place in
the car - the driver never has to worry about it. Alternatively, just ask the driver to remove the plug after parking the car, and keep it with your keys. There's no way to override the Ravelco though, i.e., the plug must be in the car for the car to start - which is exactly the reason the Ravelco is so difficult to bypass for a thief!
Hope this helps people who are interested in this device. I think I'm sold on it. :D

Dylan
Old 03-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Banned
SL Member

I havent heard back from them as of yet. Ill give it a couple of days and see what happens. I do like the information you have recieved thus far, something to definately keep in mind. I still like it alot, and the more i think about it, the more i like it.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
I havent heard back from them as of yet. Ill give it a couple of days and see what happens. I do like the information you have recieved thus far, something to definately keep in mind. I still like it alot, and the more i think about it, the more i like it.
Hey CBSIMONSEZ, did you ever think about the multi-lok?? You're getting a auto correct? It locks the car in park and there is no way to move that thing without the key to unlock it. I had one on my 300zx back in 97.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Banned
SL Member

never heard of it. Is it a clamp or something? I do know they used to make a steering wheel cover that locked the shifter into place, but they make one for the floor now too?

And yes, i need the auto tranny so the wife can drive while i sleep in between jobs. She is the boss, make her ___ work for the money
Old 03-05-2004, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

never heard of it. Is it a clamp or something? I do know they used to make a steering wheel cover that locked the shifter into place, but they make one for the floor now too?

And yes, i need the auto tranny so the wife can drive while i sleep in between jobs. She is the boss, make her ___ work for the money
Here it is:
Old 03-05-2004, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I forgot to say that it comes with a steel bracket that mounts to the floor of the car. It is impossible to get this thing off without cutting it off.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:47 AM
Banned
SL Member

Yikes! Good looking out though Mr. Munch. That thing is hudge, and its uggggleee. I think im going with the REVALCO thingy.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yikes! Good looking out though Mr. Munch. That thing is hudge, and its uggggleee. I think im going with the REVALCO thingy.
It's not that big and it dosen't come with that yellow thing on it either.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member

Well, my stepdad wanted me to get The Club too, but I heard those don't any good.

Bull____, you put everything and anything on your wheels to make it tough on them bastards. Take it from me, in Brooklyn (where the strong eat the weak), you use what ever you can. I'll be taking my xb to Shea Stadium this year (I work there) and you can bet your ___ I'm parking in the lot and going for the 5 bucks and still armoring my wheels. An easy target is always nailed, gotta make it tough for them.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Thanks from the future

Where do you get one of those Munch ? I can't find them online... and do you know how much they run ???