Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Stupid autozone

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

napa has crappy parts from what i have noticed. when i was working for an independent shop a few years ago we dealt with and independent parts place and they had really good parts. cant remember half the names but we never had any problems with the stuff we got.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Autozone has some good stuff but also a bunch of crap parts. The good parts are the ones with the lifetime warranty.
Napa is usually too expensive plus I always have to special order stuff. I'm buying more stuff on line now so AZ is mostly for my shop supplies (detail stuff, carb cleaner, oil/ filters ect...)
Old 06-20-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've just about completely lost any faith in most of the guys working at part stores, now I just go in with the part number of what I need. I get some pretty confused looks but I always get exactly what I came in for. I went to Autozone once to get a rear differential cover gasket for my '00 Camaro SS, they told me no such thing exists since it's not in their computer! I ended up going on Fel-Pro's website and just getting the part number for them..either the guy was inept or their computer system is just wrong.

I worked at a parts store for about two years while I was in high school many many years ago, part of my interview for that job was a written test and a small oral board to see the level of my automotive repair knowledge. From what I have gathered most stores don't do that anymore, I guess most parts stores these days don't care whether or not you know what your selling.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Autozone type workers are just as bad as most fast food workers now. They can only function as well as their computers allow. Seems like it all started when they no longer had to look the parts up in the book. I still get a kick out of confusing them when paying for something with cash and you give them exact change. It really messes with their heads. The computers have removed the need for actual thought.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VIP_CAMO
lol look for custom cars what a joke thats what i avoid when my buddies shop at those places..___ cheap mods with crappy muffler cans on civics and mustangs act like they know something about cars let alone the honda civic they drive ..go to the dealer....
Apparently you don't know the difference between "custom" and "rice." The original poster listed a mustang, a z21, and a BMW. I don't recall him saying anything about Civics with glued-on fake side exhaust ports and little glowing windshield-sprayers. I think the part about "if they're CRAPPY custom cars, keep looking!" was implied.

Duh.

I would give the same advice...my local AutoZone helped me out a ton when I fried all the fuses on my roommate's Lancer, and the only reason I went in is because I spotted two very clean, very classy modded cars in the corner of the parking lot: an Acura and a very solid Z.

But if you want to keep getting ripped at the dealer that's fine.

Also, I'm obligated by the internet to notify you that the word "___" as lame is really only used by 14-year-olds and stupid people.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

umm maybe its the worker's fault not the company?im pretty sure they have the part you looking for just went to a wrong or should i say dumb person........
Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its mostly cause they start at minimum wage.. anyone that knows anything about cars wont settle with that.. they will most likely go to a REAL aftermarket parts store (like i did).. or get a job doing the labor rather then parts altogether..
Old 06-21-2008, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZOMGXB
Originally Posted by VIP_CAMO
lol look for custom cars what a joke thats what i avoid when my buddies shop at those places..___ cheap mods with crappy muffler cans on civics and mustangs act like they know something about cars let alone the honda civic they drive ..go to the dealer....
Apparently you don't know the difference between "custom" and "rice." The original poster listed a mustang, a z21, and a BMW. I don't recall him saying anything about Civics with glued-on fake side exhaust ports and little glowing windshield-sprayers. I think the part about "if they're CRAPPY custom cars, keep looking!" was implied.

Duh.

I would give the same advice...my local AutoZone helped me out a ton when I fried all the fuses on my roommate's Lancer, and the only reason I went in is because I spotted two very clean, very classy modded cars in the corner of the parking lot: an Acura and a very solid Z.

But if you want to keep getting ripped at the dealer that's fine.

Also, I'm obligated by the internet to notify you that the word "___" as lame is really only used by 14-year-olds and stupid people.
Hey thanks man. But yea the cars at my AZ a real clean.. I'll try to post a pic of the stangs...Which I tried to race, LOL.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by th3rd01
umm maybe its the worker's fault not the company?im pretty sure they have the part you looking for just went to a wrong or should i say dumb person........
It's corporate autozone that's the problem. Online doesn't list a power steering belt for my xB at all either. And when corporate sucks so does the training.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Truth is they dont train you AT ALL!!!!!! Ive worked there about a month and have been learning evrything on my own. If I dont know about a part, I'll just ask one of my more knowlegable co-workers...

Slowly one learns
Old 06-21-2008, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Metro273
I'm glad I work for a dealership cause I can get a discount on parts at Toyota...
I can't stand dealing with aftermarket parts stores!
can u hook me up with TRD struts?