First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

SVT Focus vs Scion xB

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SVT Focus vs Scion xB

Yeah just feel like braggin a lil here but....

Well my friend and I were leaving from dinner with some friends, me in my box and him in his SVT Foucs... Well were racing down the back roads and he hits his flashers (sign of about to go for it) so i just take it down to 2nd and let her rip.... We raced full on down this windy back road, and i'm talking challenging road... were you go from 20 to 85-90 back down to 20 again, and take turns at 70, man it was awsome... Granted he had upgraded everything ($21k off the lot) and i'm in fully stock xB, so there was no way of beating him.... but i would have to say i kept right on his @$$ enough for him to keep an eye on me... I say were both very good drivers and know the limits of each of our cars... granted I can "heal/toe" and he cant, but that only shaves off milliseconds. But i just feel good for keeping up w/ a SVT Focus in my ecno box.

P.S. Oh and we both were pulling away from another racer in a new altima.

I dunno, just thought i'd share. (and yes i know, the xB is not a spart car)
Old 05-27-2004, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Doesn't surprise me. I bet if you throw a set of springs on your box, you'll really give him a run thru the turns.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Doesn't surprise me. I bet if you throw a set of springs on your box, you'll really give him a run thru the turns.
surprises me... svt focus has 170hp and a 2.0l engine... you're down by about 50-60hp judging by the 15% loss of the wheel, and he has .4 bigger engine, he must've been taking those turns slow as hell.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member

I dunno, I kinda have to raise the flag here. It just seems unlikely to me that the "race" was as close as you make it out to be. 105HP stock xB against a modified SVT Focus. Granted the Focus has a really good suspension setup.

And I highly doubt you guys were pulling away from an Altima, unless the Altima was driving at a normal speed and you "thought" he was racing. The base Altima is a 2.5L 175HP.

Not trying to doubt your story or pull out the BS card, it just seems unlikely to me.

But it might be, because it's real hard to pull far ahead when your doing a course similar to an auto x. There's not enough straightway to gain speed.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:09 AM
MJ
5 Year Member

Default Re: SVT Focus vs Scion xB

Here are my thoughts.........

Regardless if his ride is faster, you are a winner for the following reasons:

1) Ford Focus is UGLY (IMO)
2) Ford Focus is UGLY (IMO)
3) Ford Focus is UGLY (IMO)

Yes, the Xb will never be a racer, although you can get the race look with some cash and some engine mods but all in all it's a Toyota, its reliable and it looks a hell of a lot cooler then any Ford Focus. Not knocking your friends ride (well not trying to make it look that way, it's aimed at anyone who owns a Focus), as it was his choice but IMO you are the winner because you ride looks so much cooler. Just think about it, you ride in style, he drives fast looking silly so people won't laugh at the looks of his car. Hope this doesn't offend anyone, if it does......thicken your skin, this is my opinion, not the gospel.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I disagree....
He must not have been racing.
My last car was a ZX3.Granted not an SVT.
But it had many mods as well as Nitrous.
The SVT is slow off the line.But it handles really well.
There is no way that a box could keep up with me in the twisties.The Focus has outstanding handleing for what it is.
Keep in mind I have had both.The Focus will outhandle a box anyday,with a good driver.Not that Im a good driver or anything...........
Old 05-27-2004, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Well, he said he kept up with the guy, but couldn't beat him. Thats sounds plausible to me. But I've raced a few cars with my xB and usually come out on the losing end. The most notable victory for me was beating a hot shot in a PT Cruiser and some jerky old guy who wanted to race me in his Infinity SUV. Otherwise, I get toasted, AND OFTEN. Still love the box. :twisted:
Old 05-27-2004, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your friend must suck at driving if he can't easily outrun the box. I'm calling BS on the altima story too, it's not a kill if you're the only one trying to race.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

focii are ___ and slow svt or not...___

Jeff
Old 05-27-2004, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xboxPS2
focii are ___ AND slow SVT or not i ran right next to an SVT focus in my old saturn and they believe it or not are not the best handling cars on the road...IMO they have too much body roll....the box is kinda bottom heavy and i've taken tight tight curves at 75-80 mph....where a lot of people go the suggested "25" idk maybe i'm just stupid...a tech at my local toyota dealer sed "y did u get one of those BOXES i have a focus and it's waaay cool than that thing" i shook my head and had a nice chuckle. and altimas no i totally believe that even if the alti was tryin to keep, it couldn't....they may have horsies but they are not fast by any means. they are more luxury than sport their suspension is horrible for winding roads, and the tires they come with don't stick....

just me $.02

Jeff
You have no idea what you're talking about, please STFU. The SVT has GREAT handling for it's class, drive one and find out. Also, the Altima is a great performer for it's class. It's a family car with an emphasis on it's great engine and handling. The Nissan VQ series engine is butter, with a class leading amount of power - even the 4cly outperforms the competition with good HP and great torque. You can easily pull high 14's in the quarter mile with the 250hp and the 5-speed, not bad for a stock family car.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Banned
SL Member
Scion Evolution

That's a very believable story, and as long as I'm believing stories, I think I'll believe this one too:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12799

Maybe you guys can hang out and race sometime. And BTW, the Altima would have taken you both if it was racing. Hell a stock Sentra(not SE-R or SPEC-V) would have been able to at least take the box.

-Z
Old 05-27-2004, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by k4kas
There is no way that a box could keep up with me in the twisties.The Focus has outstanding handleing for what it is.
Keep in mind I have had both.The Focus will outhandle a box anyday,with a good driver.Not that Im a good driver or anything...........
I have to agree...my bf has a ZX3...and my xA cannot keep up in the twisties. We tested it out after i got mine lowered and a tower strut bat...and i was REALLY dissappointed. We even switched cars back and forth...so it wasn't a matter of driving skill.

So an xB w/ a higher center of gravity...less aerodynamic...i have hard time believing you could keep up...unless your friend was letting you keep up.....
Old 05-28-2004, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ough: bull____ ough: ;)

No way in hell is the toaster going to out perform an SVT Focus. Like some of these guys have already posted, I too was a former ZX3 owner. Even with stock suspension on the ZX3, it would eat the xB alive. Even if you put coilovers on the xB, it still has the ____ rear suspension setup.

Sounds like your buddy in the SVT doesn't know how to drive. 170hp and fully independent suspension outshines the xB in every aspect. Not ragging on the xB, just the way it is....the xB isn't a race car, nor is it a "sport compact" in my opinion.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wel to continue and clear up a few things, the Altima, was driven by some kid that was friends w/ my friend, i dont know him and from what i hear, he's no F1 driver, so it could have been very well that the kid didnt know how to use the car. But as for the race btw the SVT and xB, yes there were some times where he pulled away, but in the long run, i was expecting him to just flat out walk away from me. But if he got a little lead on me, in a few turns i was able to make it up. And no he wasnt letting off, i asked him when we got to his place and it was a full on race. So yes the SVT was fast, but not by much, or as much as i was expecting.... in flat and curves. And after driving the SVT myself, that thing has no low end, so i can almost see why.

So NO i didnt beat him, but YES i kept up. And thats what i'm proud of.... Of having a car that is almost $7k less keep up with the SVT.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member

so you're a heel/toe'er in FWD? hmmmm..... your name isn't takumi, is it? i'll take some fried tofu from the fujiwara tofu shop, thanks... and your panda xB is hot.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so you're a heel/toe'er in FWD? hmmmm..... your name isn't takumi, is it? i'll take some fried tofu from the fujiwara tofu shop, thanks... and your panda xB is hot.
huh?

you can heal/toe any car. All heal/toeing does is makes sure you in the right gear after a hard decel. So you dont have to brake - let off the brake - push in the clutch to shift gears - then get back on the gas again.... you can as your slowing down, pushing the the clutch and shift to a lower gear all while still under braking. Saves those few tenths of a second. While he was already at the right speed for the corner, he had to then let off the gas to find the right gear, while i'm already back on the gas. So while he's coasting, i have it floored :D

ask any good racer, heal/toe saves time
Old 05-28-2004, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member

then i'm sure you are aware that heel/toe technique is used for rev matching... so, what revs did you match for what gears? i'm sure all the xB'ers would love to be able to learn something here. also, your definition of heel/toe is a bit skewed. so is your clutch in or out while cornering? are you heeling the accelerator the entire time you are in the turn?
Old 05-28-2004, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MotoMan_YZ400
huh?

you can heal/toe any car. All heal/toeing does is makes sure you in the right gear after a hard decel. So you dont have to brake - let off the brake - push in the clutch to shift gears - then get back on the gas again.... you can as your slowing down, pushing the the clutch and shift to a lower gear all while still under braking. Saves those few tenths of a second. While he was already at the right speed for the corner, he had to then let off the gas to find the right gear, while i'm already back on the gas. So while he's coasting, i have it floored :D

ask any good racer, heal/toe saves time
Actually, any 'good' racer would ask why the hell you were shifting in the middle of a turn.

Heel-toe is to keep too much weight from transfering to the front wheels when you're entering a turn. It keeps you from sliding to the outside of a turn ___-first.

You are endangering the other drivers on public roadways.

-Justin
Old 05-28-2004, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i think the people who say Heal/toe is useless, i dont believe, it.... i've seen VERY good racers, Auto X'ers, and even pros (FWD, RWD, AWD) do it to better thier times.

But as for teaching people... I can tell you how, but dont try it. I learned by watching one of the top BMW club Auto X'er in action. And through many mistakes got it down.

Here is what "Heal/Toeing" is..... we'll make a senario. Entering a turn at about 65-70mph in 3rd gear.....

What i do is as i apply the brakes (foot cocked alittle to the left, so i brake with the top left part of my shoe) as i slow down i know that at around 55mph is redline in 2nd.... so around 60mph i push in the clutch with the left foot (while still slowing down) then i roll my mid right part of my right foot onto the gas while still braking with the top left part of my right foot. The RPMs will then jump up to redline then as i let off the gas and release the clutch (much like a normal downshift). b/c i was still braking, i should be around 50-55mph as i let out the clutch. so now i havent let off the brake, but i'm now in 2nd gear. i'll continue to slow to around 30mph for the corner, and as i exit the apex, i can then just slid my foot from the brake to the gas and get a jump out of the corner. Otherwise after the apex i would have to coast as i push in the clutch and put it into second then get back on the gas again.

Just a racing trick to save a little time, not something to do for every driving, and not something to do if you dont know the limits of your car.

WARNING!!:
If done wrong, you may end up not matching the RPMs just right and almost boosting yourself as you let go of the clutch. Maybe into traffic or people, etc.

DONT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO REALLY DRIVE A CAR TO IT'S LIMITS.... YOU CAN SCREW UP AND HURT PEOPLE, YOURSELF OR MOST IMPORTANTLY YOUR CAR.

Plus i'm not the best teacher, what i said could be completely the wrong tequnik, but thats how i do it. it works for me, and i have an edge over my friend when we race.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pay closer attention to the BMW guy.

Going into the turn you should be in the gear you want to be at the exit of the turn. You should not still be on the brakes at the apex of the turn. Of course, I suppose you're about to tell us you're an expert on trail braking too.

You don;t know what you're doing. Save your Andretti dreams for Gran Turismo and leave driving to those who know how.

-Justin

Quick Reply: SVT Focus vs Scion xB