Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

SWITCHING Mx-5 to xB

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member

Default SWITCHING Mx-5 to xB

Im thinking of getting an XB.

I currently have a mazda miata mx-5 I love it so much. But only being able to have 1 passenger sucks so bad sometimes. The dealer offered me

4.9% @ 60 months with 0 down. i just turned 20 yesterday. Im totally sold on the Utility part of the XB, and the make outage factor! There's like no room for that in a miata. I test drove one for about an hour by myself on the freeway and stuff and i liked it. However I was unable to really take it on any twisty roads and see how it performs.

I love Del Puerto Canyon @ highway 49 (going for spirited runs) in Nor Cal. My miata running a short ram, high flow cat and stock header with 16inch rims was a blast up there. No brake fade what so ever. I used to have a del sol and i took it up there and i had tons of brake fad and it was just a horrible car when compared to the mx-5.

I dont expect the XB to compare to the mx-5 which is RWD at all in terms of cornering power (wont be able to drift it ), braking power and acceleration (it might take it on top speed) read somewhere that someone had their's up to 122 cant get the mx-5s much passed 115 with the top down. Well my questoin to you guys is how does the XB do when driven like a sports car. How do the brakes hold up, do they get mushy hows it corner does the ___ wanna come around if for some reason u need to brake hard while cornering at the same time. Also does it plow badly? I had an acura legend and that thing plowed so bad. Im probably going to get one this week a Black XB 5spd with just floor mats (you think i shd get those from the dealer or ebay?) and get the rest of my stuff off of ebay. So yea that's basically what i want to know

When driven in a spirited manner how does the XB perform?

I want to thank you guys in advance, i would love going to the beach every weekend with my friends in this thing during the summer but being able to cut through Del puerto canyon to Mount Hamilton instead of taking the freeway, not to save time but for the fun factor.

Some pictures of del puerto canyon and mount hamilton.

Oh yea my 4x100 16s fit on the XB =D [/img]
Old 03-21-2005, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I have both, 04 xB and a 91 miata.

Can't compair them, at all. Really.

Miata is fun as hell to drive, just a lot of rear-wheel-drive fun.

The xB is also fun to drive, but it feels a lot slower, and doesn't handle as well (mines got upgraded springs, still doesn't handle as well). But that's not what the xB is for. It's a fun cruiser. load your friends up and go out, get a lot of looks, etc.

The mx-5 is for a fun drive, lots of turns, loading up someone else (usually your girl ) and heading out for a good time, usually in nice weather.

As a day-to-day car the xB is better for you. I actually got my Miata as a commuter car, but it's turning out to be a fun car to work on too.

The xB is still my main ride though. When it's nasty out, or I'm just not in the mood for the windnoise of the convertable, I'll take the xB.

anyway, I'm sure that didn't help at all. :D But it's really hard to compair the two, they're both kick-___ cars, they're just not anything alike.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member

Default haha it doesnt =P

I've been thinking of keeping both only thing is the insurance cost. I wanted to sale my miata around 4kish shd be able to get that in cali during the summer.

I Pay 130 a month for full coverage on the miata .
Would pay 160 a month on the xB for full coverage. If i drop the miata to pl/pd it be ok but then i wouldnt feel safe driving it hard in a canyon if i hit a the canyon wall i want my car replaced u know.

i called today and the scion guy is looking for a black xB as i type this said he'll call me back. =)
So hopefully today or tmw ! Yippie
Old 03-21-2005, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member

Just got a call back
my new black scion xB stick gets in tmw ! :D
Old 03-22-2005, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It handles a lot better than you will expect it to.

It may tae you a few times driving it until you get comfortable making hard turns from that high up, but it will definitely surprise you.

Very little plow... if any. I haven't really pushed the box to its limits yet.

-Justin
Old 03-22-2005, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i used to drive my friends mx-5 around and although its been a while since then, i gotta say that these two vehicles are night and day. and they should be.

Pulse is right, you'd use either vehicle for different reasons. You can upgrade the suspension on the box to make it handle a lot better than stock, but don't think it'll whip corners like the miata. In fact, i'd say you'll start taking the freeway and enjoying the straight line cruise. a different type of fun, but fun none the less.

of course you can still pick up your girlfriend and take those canyon roads to a secluded spot.. then really see what the suspension can do. by the way, if you take the front seat headrests off and move the seat all the way forward, you can recline the seat all the way back and it will line up with the back seat quite nicely. lots of room
Old 03-22-2005, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

The braking on corners question would bring the Vehicle stability control into the picture as well, am I right?

The xB has some very cool advanced technology VSC and TCS. I personally think its a blast to drive but if I wanted a sporty/fast fun car I would look at the TC. Still has all the fast car feel and room for friends. It does the fold down front seat trick as well.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by andersg
The xB has some very cool advanced technology VSC and TCS. I personally think its a blast to drive but if I wanted a sporty/fast fun car I would look at the TC. Still has all the fast car feel and room for friends. It does the fold down front seat trick as well.
ah, and you can gaze at the night sky through the panoramic moon roof.. ah, how romantic! haha
Old 03-22-2005, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have both a xB and a very modified 92 Miata. There is no real comparison possible because the 2 cars are totally different. The xB doesn't corner anywhere near as well as the Miata by any measures.

Doesn't mean it's not fun to push the xB around though. It feels somewhat crude in the handling department, but the engine is very revvy and responsive. It feels faster than it is. So in that sense I suppose it does have something in common w/ the Miata
Old 03-22-2005, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I have both a xB and a very modified 92 Miata. There is no real comparison possible because the 2 cars are totally different. The xB doesn't corner anywhere near as well as the Miata by any measures.

Doesn't mean it's not fun to push the xB around though. It feels somewhat crude in the handling department, but the engine is very revvy and responsive. It feels faster than it is. So in that sense I suppose it does have something in common w/ the Miata
It's been so long since I've been able to drive my 240sx, that I'm starting to think the box *is* fast.

-Justin