Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

third gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member

Default third gear

hello..
i bought an xa in january and ive put about 3100 miles on it by now.. and i was wondering.. whenever i shift into 3rd.. my gear grinds.. it only happens when i shift slightly quick.. does anyone have this problem? for my xa.. it doesnt grind if i let it slide in.. but when i shift normally into 3rd for my daily drive.. it grinds.. does anyone know the reason for this? i need some input cuz i dont know if its my transmission or anything. thanks
Old 05-08-2004, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yeah, I got that the first week I starting driving my car (first manual car). I got it going into second and third. The worst sound..ever. The thing to do is to... make sure you're in gear :D . First, Second (Straight down), Third (straight up), Fourth (straight down), Fifth (the only one where I go neutral>to the right>up)... I think you should feel two notches between shifts... Gear>Neutral>Gear...
Old 05-09-2004, 05:07 AM
5 Year Member

haha its not my shifting.. it only happens when i shift quicker.. kinda hard to explain.. haha i know where the gears are.. haha im not that igorant.. j.k but yeah.. its only third gear.. i dont know why
Old 05-09-2004, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yeah, I'm just being real technical. When I quick shift, I make sure I feel two notches going into gear... You just gotta get used to the angles and feel...WE NEED BUSHINGS DAMN IT!
Old 05-09-2004, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Its odd that you mention the need to make sure its in gear. The forward gears used in all manual transmissions are helical cut, which means they have a large contact sruface, low noise and are self aligning(get the teeth to match up at all and they will slide together on there own). The reverse gear is just straight cut (flat teeth) which are not self aligning (the reason you have to really pull to get it in all the way) and becuase of the small contact area have high noise which is why the car whines in reverse. As for grinding during a shift, either something is broken or you are doing something the car was not designed for. Its fun to drive like youre on the track but the tranny on this car was really not setup to have lightning quick shifts. My guess (not a tech, but an engineer) is that the syncros are not getting up to speed fast enough for your quick shifts, that or they are worn out. Again, in case you are wondering each forward gear, except 1st(most of the time) has a syncro. Basically a washer that actaully engages before the gear does as you are switching gears, the syncro speed up instantly and matches the engagement mechanism speed with the gear speed. this is not the clutch but works in a similiar way, its goal just to match speeds.

hope this helps :?
Old 05-09-2004, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I know when I used to grind, it was because I would try to shift and I'd get in between 2nd and 4th and I'd engage the clutch...that's where I heard the grinding...
Old 05-09-2004, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahurdl01 is right. YouR grinding youR syncros... be careful not to do it too much!!
Old 05-09-2004, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is my experience. I've gotten my shift into 2nd to grind about 3 times - I gotta watch that.
I'm shifting faster I think, and either my timing is off either my clutch release or my hand shifting (just sloppy) or I am not pushing down on the clutch far enough. I think I'm just sloppy.

2nd gear is funny in that there's kind of a click when the stick goes in. I just have to make sure it's in gear before I release the clutch.

In 3rd, I get this problem sometimes when I rev high (this may be the same thing as shifting fast). When I rev quite high, or rev up to it quite fast, and then shift into 3rd, I sometimes miss the gate - I feel like I hit the H do you know what I mean? I swear it feels like straight up, which should be 3rd. It goes stop! - but doesn't grind.
I gotta watch that -- also, it may be the angle of my arm thinking it's straight under those 'stressful' :D conditions when trying to shift/rev faster (meaning outside of the car there is some fun stuff going on )

I think mine are misshifts. My clutch cable could be adjusted (if that's the right term), and I can live with 2nd the way it is.

Oh, and I wonder if the H could be rotated a little to match my arm - or what my arm thinks is straight - I wonder if that is done.
OR!, and I just thought of this just now, the stick isn't centering fast enough from out of 2nd to go into 3rd maybe, if you can picture that. There is a zig-zag, or S turn to go from 2nd to 3rd.
(Interesting thought... I could account for that too if that's the case. Maybe a little thumb action to center the stick going into 3rd.)

Do I always answer my own questions? Mmmmmaybe...
Old 05-09-2004, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyotas have always been a bit finicky about 3rd gear. Even my '91 MR2 needs the right touch.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member

its strange though.. when i shift quickly into any other gear.. it doesnt grind.. its only 3rd gears.. friend who have driven my car grind third gear even though they think they arent shifting too quick. my car is strange.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

your "quick shifting" is most likely the problem. make sure the clutch is depressed, and you go straight into third, screw that fast n furious crap, dont ruin your clutch
Old 05-10-2004, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member

im telling you guys.. its not my shifting.. i've driven swtbabiboi4u's xb.. i drove it the exact same way as i drive mine.. and i seem to grind in third with my xa.. its strange im telling yoU! =P
Old 05-10-2004, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

serry for the accuzation
Old 05-10-2004, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wait, youR grinding ALL The time?!?!?!

if so, take it in!
Old 05-10-2004, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what I have been doing is that, when I'am shifting in to 3rd, I angle it towards up right. seems to work for me.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:37 AM
5 Year Member

its not ALL the time.. i cant shift into third gear like any of my other gears.. i have to push it forward a little and then it slides right into third.. thats usually like a.5 second wait to get into third.. but when i try to shift notmally like i do with my other gears.. third gear is the only one that grinds
Old 05-14-2004, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG

yo gabe man, i know what you mean man. my car does the same thing. its when i shift fast into third. sometimes when i shift really fast it dont do it. i know ppl arent into street racin but i have. and everytime ...3rd 3rd 3rd......lol...but i got used to it.....im not sure what it is...i dont really tend to it....but idk...i sjtu wanted to let yo know that you aint the only one!
Old 05-15-2004, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sup gabe. well i have a xb and i quick shift day n night and goes in smoothlhy. sounds like his syncho's are bad... take it back to the dealres. tranny's have 5 yr warrenty for us scion peples

-Mark
payce out!
Old 06-11-2004, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

i dont seem to have a problem with my gears... just 1 or 2 sloppy shifts.. *refers to those times when quickshifting is needed and "suspicious activity" is going on outside the car* but that was more due to sloppy shifting... Other then that ive been just fine with the quick shifting.... It actually shifts better than my 240sx *shrug*
Old 11-16-2006, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It happens in my box when shifting into 4th, if I shift quick. But it doesn't happen all the time so they couldn't reproduce it when I brought the car in. I just hope it's not a symptom of a problem that rears its ugly head once the warranty has expired.