First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

This Thread is just dumb..(Closed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jethro b
Those stainless moon disks are only polished around the outer lip. The rest is a brushed finish. They are easy to keep clean and never need to be polished. The only down side is you need to remove them to check your air pressures and they scratch the hell out of the steel wheels and may cause them to rust over time.

Oh, darn. I can stand for the grippers biting the OEM blackplain paint cos that's just not a problem in a salt-free place especially if the covers are staying on practically for good.

BUT if they are just brushed and not polished all over, then the JC catalog is WRONG to call them "highly polished"

( i thought the catalog photo was hair-sprayed dull for photographer convenience)

OH, too, I don't see any valve stem hole. THAT would not do at all.

-Have got the maker's name supplied to me by JC Whitney cos JCW does not -know- how to check stock to answer customer questions. I'll call them (Jiffy Metal Products in Chi) to see what they say...

But Jethro, if you've seen these same pups then you KNOW they are what they are. And I gather that you have seen them in person? Your answer settles the question and I"ll move on to get the set fof SHINY ones with stem holes from Mooneyes.com

thanks man you saved me some big hassles already. I cancelled the phone order to JC Whitney, snap!

PS, guys: Fuill metal wheel covers need super-agressive metal grippers which clinch into the paint and metal underneath. Steel wheels are -elastic and flex- when you do big bumps. This is why in the old days when almost all cars had wheel covers, you'd find lost caps laying by every RR crossing and at the side of many intersections, propped up by Samaritans hoping the owner would see its lost puppy.

Back in that time the great juvenile crime was to swipe hub caps and wheel covers. I think that day shall return and will be laffing if I end up being first supplier (victim-provider) of shining moon caps to the get-toe market.

THANKS JETHRO!

===addendum-====

http://www.mooneyesusa.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=385

Mooneyes has them and these are polished and have the stem hole. Be sure to order for 15" wheel. 85 bucks for one set of four, plus 13 more for shipping

Old 04-27-2005, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Yes, I had a set of them for a different car bout 10 years ago and still have em but the are 14 inchers and won't fit the box. That's why I got a set of the phone dial bB caps for the winter time when I'm rollin on the steelies
PS: Those ones from moon eyes are cool. I may get a set of those later as funding allows
Old 04-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Banned
SL Member

THIS POST HAS BEEN DELETED DUE TO GRAPHIC CONTENT
Old 04-28-2005, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by MidLifeScionCrisis
Wheel Covers are NOT rims and I am sooo sick of this disucssion I just want everyone to admit that wheelcovers are better then rims and custom wheels so that we can close this post once and for all......who was the idiot that started all this anyway?????
There are pros and cons. It come down to personal preference. I like both just at different times of the year. Is that called sitting on the fence?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

before this thread peters out (AFTER I get the mooneyes and post picture), I"ll put up a few pics of

REAL rims
and REAL hub caps
and REAL wheel covers as these things -were called- in the middle 1920's.

-it's funny how the same terms are used today, but in really different meanings.

snaredrum Rimshots baddaboom, and I EXIT
until the moonies land...
Old 04-28-2005, 02:06 AM
Banned
SL Member

THIS POST HAS BEEN DELETED DUE TO GRAPHIC CONTENT
Old 04-28-2005, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Full covers... at JC Whitney

http://tinyurl.com/74fwm

Here's another site with "full moons" that appear to be a little bit different than the JC Whiney covers mentioned in the quote.

http://hubcapmike.com/racing_disc_wheelcovers.html
Old 04-28-2005, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'd be rolling on these if I didn't have financial responsibilities
Old 04-28-2005, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Now those are 'Old School'. Sweet. Then you would only need to get some wide whites and paint the wheels TCM to match the box
Old 04-28-2005, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let's open another idea I've not yet noticed:

-a clearcoat can be tinted any candy color. This will bond -great- to polished stainless mooncaps.

So, speaking from experience gained by using a tinted-yellow/orange GOLD effect nitro laquer for -high grade musical instruments and other fine metalwork (interior)

-an RS2 could sport -gold plated effect moons- And it -will- look deep and rich like clearcoated real gold!

-say, too, you have a cherry or onyx car: Have the clearcoat tinted to the depth of transparent tint which works for a candy paint job clearcoat.

-not just any pigment will do. It must be the special kind of ultra-fine or dyestuff pigment- You can't just glop in some hardware store tint and get acceptable or lasting results. Must be automotive paint grade color.

Rich, transparent blue on polished stainless would not look ghetto on an RS2 with blackwalls. Blue and "golden yellow" of the car.

Of course... i might still go siCko and spin a hypno-stripe spiral (i joke) on the moonies that are on their way from Mooneyes.

PS: NOT CLEAR but it does appear that the JCWhitney moons are neither polished full face... and they do not have a valve stem hole. (thanks, Jethro)
Old 04-28-2005, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Let's clarify something....................

[img]

Racing disc or salt flat disc

Smoothie

Baby moon "style"- not a baby moon

the shiny round chrome thing in the center of this tire is a a baby moon. the chrome outer ring is called a beauty ring or trim ring

Moon Eyes!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

And, These are the ultra cool Lancer wheel covers

I'm not _____ing. But, I think we're all getting a bit corn-fused.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Wheel Covers are NOT rims and I am sooo sick of this disucssion I just want everyone to admit that wheelcovers are better then rims and custom wheels so that we can close this post once and for all......who was the idiot that started all this anyway?????
There are pros and cons. It come down to personal preference. I like both just at different times of the year. Is that called sitting on the fence?
Doesnt MIDLIFE know that he DOESNT HAVE TO LOOK AT THIS THREAD
I really cant believe it when people dont like something , GET ANGRY , want to STOP others from having an Interesting and Informative discussion

Its kind of like the guy that goes to the DR. and says " It really hurts when I do this " the Doc says " Then dont do it ! "
But they STILL DO
Old 04-29-2005, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by bBTOY
Doesnt MIDLIFE know that he DOESNT HAVE TO LOOK AT THIS THREAD
I really cant believe it when people dont like something , GET ANGRY , want to STOP others from having an Interesting and Informative discussion

Its kind of like the guy that goes to the DR. and says " It really hurts when I do this " the Doc says " Then dont do it ! "
But they STILL DO
WERD
Old 04-29-2005, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by stickler64

the shiny round chrome thing in the center of this tire is a a baby moon. the chrome outer ring is called a beauty ring or trim ring
any idea where to find these baby moon's?....i've got the trim rings on just the stock steel wheels right now and i dig the look.....i'll probably paint a set of rims either red for a ol' school rod look, or maybe white or yellow for a slighty different ol' school feel...

but i've not found a place yet with real baby moons....i'm not even sure they'd work on the stock 15's....

d
Old 04-29-2005, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

They won't work on the stock steelies unless tabs were welded on in just the right places for the baby moons to pop on and be centered! sorry! If you really want this look try www.WheelVintiques.com and see if they can make them in the size,offset and lug pattern to fit the BOX. I think they can custom make them. Good luck
Here is another company to try also got it out of my Rod and Custom Mag www.stocktonwheel.com
Old 04-29-2005, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member

They won't work on the stock steelies unless tabs were welded on in just the right places for the baby moons to pop on and be centered!
yeah that's what i kinda figured.....

i'll just paint a set of stock steels and and keep using the trim rings....i like the look....

if i was gonna get custom wheels i'd love a set that looked like american racing torq-thrust's....

d
Old 04-29-2005, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have to admit ... some of these hub-cap sinners are really impressive. I say " as long as you do it right ?? go head" . Is hubcaps better then real rims?? welll there is two side to it. money wise ?? yeah of course, most def. Quality wise?? no way ... rims are more durable and last longing. Both can get stolen in diffrent amount of times. If i was sporting an xb i would by spinning rims ( probably not, but still). But that is just for the period of me saving up my money to buy real rims. Now what i hate is the ghetto ___ cars, who pay more for thier spinning caps rather then more on the car itself. Yeah , to the point were they payed 50 bills for their car and 100 for the caps. Now thats what i laugh at. If i seen an xb with spinnin caps , i would say more power to him. It would get more attention, and more points then all the other "modded xb's" for creativity and "*****" . I would never sport moon caps. That is just so damn ugly in my opinion. "YUCK" i seen one and it was horrible. But hey .. in conlcusion ... Do your thang, and dont let anyone hold you against from pleasing yourself and your ego.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are going to keep the steelies go bald. Toupees are stupid.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UnFocused
with my 18"s I can stick my hand through the spokes and clean the inner part of the rim. Can you do that with hubcaps? NO!
Don't need to with full moons. I can spray and wipe all four while you're still cleaning brake dust off the spokes of your first wheel. Don't forget to Q-tip around the lug nuts and the valve stem.

;-)

Quick Reply: This Thread is just dumb..(Closed)