Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

tires - recommend me some!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tires - recommend me some!

okay rather than search at threads about tires from years ago someone recommend me something good. I've already been priced some uniroyals for $107 a tire with balancing and stems, and some korean brand for $88 or something. anything better? i got yokohama on there now, but they're dry rotted. they're 5 years old, but i've never seen a tire this dry rotted looking that's 5 years old. only reason i'm getting them is i've got a leak, and i'm losing a few pounds a day on my passenger front. no use in repairing them or plugging, because they're effed anyway.

something cheap, but not too cheap. recommendations please? anything good?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just put a set of Pirelli P4's on the stock steelies on my 2005, and it handles worlds better.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are looking for all season tires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS
Old 08-09-2011, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

tires will depend on your driving style and expected conditions (snow, wet, dry).

for everyday summer tires i would get the Khumo SPT. if you have to deal with snow then don't get them.

other than that i best advise i can give you is STAY AWAY FROM RIKEN TIRES
Old 08-09-2011, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool thanks for the suggestions. i might hold off for a little, and just keep pumping them up. i have the money right now or well i really don't have the money, but i got a credit card. might wait another month or two. i was laid off from my union construction job in may. now i'm working for 3/4ths of what i did make for a friend on the side, and i'm also doing stuff for myself cause i got my own business on the side. i hate health insurance, but i'm paranoid thinking of my son not having health insurance if he has an accident god forbid. i could care less about me. so now i have to pay cobra out of pocket for over $1100 a month. times are tough, but i'm getting by! just trying to hold off on the tires. anymore suggestions i'll take them all!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the Pirelli's.

Just keep in mind it will be more expensive to tow the car or have to fix/ replace rims, alignment if the tires blow. Not to mention that stuck on the side of the road feeling that ain't fun.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.drivingthenation.com/?p=3165

http://www.motortrend.com/womt/1103_..._03/index.html

These tires are fairly new, and continue to impress everyone who runs them. As soon as my kumho's wear out, I will be picking them up as well.

They come with special markers on the sides of the tire to let you know if its not in alignment, and a "replacement Tire monitor" in the center that shows up when the tread depth reaches 2/32".

Pretty awesome for the price.

Last edited by Roller_Toaster; 08-10-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NYCxB
I got the Pirelli's.

Just keep in mind it will be more expensive to tow the car or have to fix/ replace rims, alignment if the tires blow. Not to mention that stuck on the side of the road feeling that ain't fun.

Good luck.
thanks for that! i got triple a, but i haven't had to use it in YEARS luckily. it's not my only car. i got a 2000 f-350 7.3 powerstroke diesel with damn near 170k miles. that's my work truck i use for my side business, but i use it as a daily driver if need be. if it gets too bad i'm gonna just crack, and buy them. got a price for a little over $400 bucks for all 4. i know the guy so i may get a discount or something. this is my cheapest car cause as much as i hate the ''kill the gas guzzler everything must get 30 mpg'' mentality it works best for me to have a little economy car getting 30+ with a long commute.

by the way do yokohama tires dry rot easily? the tires are from 05 i'd say they were put on in 06 if i had to guess. plenty of tread or half tread i guess. got a 53 chevy pickup in my garage with tires from 03 that don't look as bad as far as dry rot goes, and that things been sitting in the garage, and hasn't been on the road in 3 or 4 years!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Falkens dont last long,
Yokos are great,
Hankooks are a good tire,

You cant beat Michelin...
Old 08-10-2011, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use kumho ecsta asx i believe. ill check in the a.m. to make sure but if you run wheels and are lowered i would run a sport tire because regular touring tires just look weird
Old 08-10-2011, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I know is that my xB has under 40K and is an 05. The original Goodyears had to be replaced, if memory serves me, just at 30K. The front tires were cracking. I have never had tires do that, and certainly not with such low mileage. The xB sees use once per week and is the other car (nothing beats having real steel around you, believe me my other Hummer was totaled by a Nissan Xterra who blew a stop sign going 35+ and t-boned my 2006 and saved lives. If that was the xB, no question those on the passenger side would have been killed.). Amazed at how badly the Goodyears were.

The Pirelli's are good, not going to say great, but thus far they are holding up.

Forget the chain I got the Pirelli's (maybe American Tire?) but it was just about at $300 (found a coupon online for them).
Old 08-10-2011, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i checked my tires today and they are 205 50 15 kumho ecsta ast ill try and post a pic later of the tread design. highly recommend these tires! i may go with the same size in a new tire that my place is carrying but for now i love the kumho's
Old 08-11-2011, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Name:  DSCN0515.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  47.3 KB
this is the tread pattern
Old 08-13-2011, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jbod
okay rather than search at threads about tires from years ago someone recommend me something good. I've already been priced some uniroyals for $107 a tire with balancing and stems, and some korean brand for $88 or something. anything better? i got yokohama on there now, but they're dry rotted. they're 5 years old, but i've never seen a tire this dry rotted looking that's 5 years old. only reason i'm getting them is i've got a leak, and i'm losing a few pounds a day on my passenger front. no use in repairing them or plugging, because they're effed anyway.

something cheap, but not too cheap. recommendations please? anything good?
You gotta be more specific!

I have decent amounts of snow here in SE MN, but I didn't want dedicated snow tires, so I got BF Goodrich Traction T/A All-season tires, and I couldn't be happier. But you might not need tires like that where you are . . . .
Old 08-14-2011, 02:44 PM

Yokohama are prone to dry rotting. I don't know why but I've seen it alot. I had avid trz with 30k on them that I just removed because they were in such bad shape. I just put on Hankook H727 last year and they are great in rain, snow, and dry. They are not performance tires but I am getting out of that anyway. The best part is they are running the same deal again that they had when I bought mine which was $40 off 4, so I paid les than $60 a tire on Tire Rack.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The general Gmax as-03's sound like EXACTLY what you are looking for.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what state are you from?

If you have snow and/or a decent amount of rain, then that will depend upon what tire you should go for. If it cost an extra $5-10 per tire, for the right tire... then you do it. No monkeying around. Tires are ultra important. It could be the difference between going 35K miles on them, or 45K miles ...... or possibly hydroplaining during a down-poor and smashing into a tree (or not if you have good rain tires, that channels out the rain).

Your ultimate decision, just don't 1/2 azzzzz it. The reason I can say that, is that I'm speaking up for all the other drivers who are taking the proper safety precautions everyday, like having good/proper rubber on their rides (less likelyhood of having a blow-out, etc while driving). I get the child before me statement, however you also have to be thinking "if Jim has a vehicluar accident (that could have been prevented by following through with due dilligence in maintaining ones vehicle) while driving my xB down the HWY-interstate that resulted in a tire beling blow out and loss of control of the vehicle(fill in the blank ______), then my child may very well not see daddy tomorrow". Think about it.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just bought Pirelli P4's for my '05. I absolutely love them for all weather. They provide much better grip on wet roads than the stock GY's did. Especially in the last few massive rainstorms we got hit with.

For the New England winters I have a set of Toyo Observes that I toss on. They haven't failed me yet.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had some Yokohamas, didn't seem to last long. Have some Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max P205/50/R16 on there now, look good and handle okay for driving normally. They handle okay as well but not the extreme cornering or else they'll start sqealing a bit. Also my wife works at Goodyear so that's a plus as well = discounts !! Just put some Fuel Max Assurance tires on her Buick Enclave which had the Michelin Latitudes on it.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My buddy rolls on Pirelli P4s and is well impressed two years later.
I like the Hankook optimo H727, I've had them for a year. Quieter than the BF Goodrich with better handling wet and dry.

http://goo.gl/kXsgg

Quick Reply: tires - recommend me some!