First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Top ten things I DONT like about the xB

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tmanion
I have an 06 and it has an interior dome light, so I don't have a problem with that. However, I agree with the sheet metal issue; the fuel tank door is paper thin (not that it really matters but it makes you wonder about the rest of the panels). Also, the ride is bouncy on anything less than smooth asphalt. Another issue I have is that I wish the wheel would telescope but I understand not including it on a car at this price point.

mikem53 if you want more stopping power just buy some after market brake pads (and stainless steel lines if that's not enough) nice z06, check out the new one

Regardless of the problems, this is a phenomenal car for the money; would you rather drive a PT Cruiser?
My 05 has a dome light too... but lighting up front is lacking...

SS brake lines don't help on the street.... it helps when you constantly use your brakes and the fluid heats up causing the rubber to expand which gives you fade. this happens with heavy track use and is not a problem with me on the Scion... I just hate working on drum brakes... when changing pads on disc is so easy.... dru brakes also dont do as well with ABS... I haven't had to try that yet.. will do so this winter..... should be interesting... Thanks for the comment on the Z...

No... I don't like the PT cruiser..... much rather have the box
Old 11-03-2005, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wish the a/c & heat vents had a **** to close certain ones up.

thats my only complaint.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member

Default Newbie with major complaint here!!

I bought my XB in July of this year, I loved it! I like the ride, I like the gas mileage, I liked the looks I get, I liked the fact that people always asked me about it and I could brag on it!!
BUT....... 3 days ago my AC quite working completely! I took it into the service department at the dealership, and was told that my warranty WOULD NOT cover this! They stated road debris flew through the grill and punctured my condenser, to the tune of $1000.00 for the part alone I would have to replace it!
Well number 1 the condenser is wide open to road hazzard as there is nothing between it and road debris but the grill.
So needless to say, I have been on the phone with Scion because lord knows Im not going to replace something that costs that much, when I could drive off the lot and it could happen again, and then there goes another $1000.00 in a car that is only 4 months old!
There answer to me was well we can fix it so this doesn't happen again!!!! Then why wasn't it fixed in the 1st place so I wouldn't have to fork out $1000.
Well they will get there answer from me as I have hired and attorney, and intend to follow this through until they pay for this! I mean the dealership told me that the condenser is $1000 I called around and everywhere quoted me about $300-$400. When I told the dealership this they actually had the nerve to tell me if I put parts on it other than official Scion parts I would void my warranty!!! Well is my warranty worth anything anyway?
Just wanted to vent and also inform the XB owners how vulnerable your AC condenser is!
Am I wrong in my anger?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Newbie with major complaint here!!

Originally Posted by schweikhard1
I bought my XB in July of this year, I loved it! I like the ride, I like the gas mileage, I liked the looks I get, I liked the fact that people always asked me about it and I could brag on it!!
BUT....... 3 days ago my AC quite working completely! I took it into the service department at the dealership, and was told that my warranty WOULD NOT cover this! They stated road debris flew through the grill and punctured my condenser, to the tune of $1000.00 for the part alone I would have to replace it!
Well number 1 the condenser is wide open to road hazzard as there is nothing between it and road debris but the grill.
So needless to say, I have been on the phone with Scion because lord knows Im not going to replace something that costs that much, when I could drive off the lot and it could happen again, and then there goes another $1000.00 in a car that is only 4 months old!
There answer to me was well we can fix it so this doesn't happen again!!!! Then why wasn't it fixed in the 1st place so I wouldn't have to fork out $1000.
Well they will get there answer from me as I have hired and attorney, and intend to follow this through until they pay for this! I mean the dealership told me that the condenser is $1000 I called around and everywhere quoted me about $300-$400. When I told the dealership this they actually had the nerve to tell me if I put parts on it other than official Scion parts I would void my warranty!!! Well is my warranty worth anything anyway?
Just wanted to vent and also inform the XB owners how vulnerable your AC condenser is!
Am I wrong in my anger?
I don't think your wrong, but the dealer kind of has a valid point, parts broken from road debris are not covered.. Your next step would be to talk to scion with the number in your service manual. A laywer can get exspensive.calling scion service is free. They are usually very good with working things out. Try it I've done it before. Be firm yet polite.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member

I tried that and I got "unfortunatly we can't help you". My point is why should I drive a car that after 3 months cost me $1000 and I could leave and it could happen again, and cost me another $1000. Equipment that important should be better protected.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member

Oh yeah and I work for a law firm so it costs me nothing.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default sorry

Oh yeah and I work for a law firm so it costs me nothing.
sorry to hear, this is the first case I've heard of this. I hope you can get this resolved. I'm just trying to help.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Anyone who is complaining about power, noise, poor brakes and such, needs to wake the hell up. Find a car that is about 20 years old and is a POS on its last leg. Drive that car for a couple years. Then you will appreciate how incredibly nice the xB really is. I'm so pleased with the xB, it might as well be a Bentley.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I tried that and I got "unfortunatly we can't help you". My point is why should I drive a car that after 3 months cost me $1000 and I could leave and it could happen again, and cost me another $1000. Equipment that important should be better protected.
I hate to hear this happened to you but ... it's called dumb luck. Most any car can be damaged by flying debris. Scion can't be held any more responsible for road debris than they can for a racoon ( https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90196 ). That poor guy only had his xB for one day and 50 miles. Lick your wounds and move on.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

1 too slow. , doesnt respond well at all to mods... i knew it wasnt a speed demon but i figured it'd respond to mods liek a honduh does but NOPE

2 cheap horrible paint

3 ac is pretty damned weak

4 they're becoming the newest ricer mobile

5 gas mileage is hard to keep consistent whether it's high or low... my best mpg runs lately have been on a 180 mile roadtrip with an average speed of 90 believe that.....

6 honduh forkers laughing..

7 worst clutch ever.... toyota didnt realize with quicker gearing , more weight and a more enthusiast based demographic that theyre cheap echo carryover parts wouldnt hold up.... nothing like a 800+ dollar clutch job to see that it doesnt happen again... hell my clutch started slipping at 5000 MILES!!!!

8 theyre starting to get REALLY played out.... and without having more than 10k in one it will never win a show at all. let alone just street cred

9 umm....overpriced parts since it's new...

10 it's WRONG WHEEL DRIVE
Old 11-03-2005, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

oh and 4est my last car was a 1987 supra that always had problems. and if the motor wasnt dead i'd gladly keep driving it...
Old 11-03-2005, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1- Power... I would gladly give up a mpg or two for more useable power. Power to merge, climb hills are nice to have

2- Thin sheet metal... Looking hard at the box can cause a dent.. Since the panels are tall, they should be beefier... just push on a panel and see for yourself... not too hard though..

3- Interior lighting... Are they having a bulb shortage in Japan? You can't see poop at night.. especially on the drivers side. The cruise control is also worthless in the dark.

4- Noisey.. Too much engine drone.. I like mechanical sounds... but the xB has some ugly sounds entering the cabin.. They could have used more insulation in the firewall area and made it a nicer place to be.

5- Weak AC... It works.. but can take forever to cool things down on a warm day... The weakest AC of any car around. The fix doesn't help much either.

6- Bouncy ride.. seems like they could have made the rear less stiff. The ride is good for the most part.. but they could have engineered a less stiff ride and still maintained good handling... My Z06 rides better and its very stiff.

7- Cheap butt plastic dip stick.. Why not provide a metal stick that won't warp, harden and break with time.

8- Drum brakes.. Geeezz.. I thought these things went the way of the Dodo bird along with carburators and vapor lock..

9- Paint.. It looks good... but it doesn't hold up very well... its like it doesn't stick good.. A floating piece of styrofoam will cause it chip..
I know the new paints are water based... but I don't have these issues with my other cars..

10- People asking me when do the Klowns come out....

My opinions:

1 Power- Lacking, but adequate for an economy car. If ya think the box has good power, come to Germany and drive it at 80-85 for 3 hours and see how you feel then..hehe.

2- Thin sheet metal- Aren't all cars this way these days? I know my 2000 Dakota R/T TRUCK was.

3 Interior Lighting - A must fix.

4 Noisy - Yeah, I;m buying some sound deadening and fix that too.

5 Weak AC - Came to Germany from TX and yes the A/C wasn't enough in TX, but fine for Germany.

6 Bouncy Ride - Front is Bad Rear is worse...welcome Eibach springs into that situation soon!

7 Cheap Butt Plastic Dip Stick - Wife had a Nissan Sentra and Aunt had a toyota Corolla both with plastic dipsticks that broke off. Need some metal in there.

8 Drum Brakes - Braking is OK, upgrade the front to slotted/Cross drilled life will be good.

9 Paint - Not good....5 rock chips, less than 10K miles.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 4est
Anyone who is complaining about power, noise, poor brakes and such, needs to wake the hell up. Find a car that is about 20 years old and is a POS on its last leg. Drive that car for a couple years. Then you will appreciate how incredibly nice the xB really is. I'm so pleased with the xB, it might as well be a Bentley.
I am awake, thank you... I have every right to complain about power when there isn't enough at times when I need to merge safely. I know this is not being touted as a sports car, but it should have enough power to do normal traffic maneuvers.
I didnt buy a 20 year old car... I bought a new xB. I do like the car but it does lack some basic features that would make it even better.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have a xA and a xB. I love them both. The only thing I've noticed about the xB, is when you shut the doors, it sounds very tinny and cheap compared to when I shut the door to my xA. The xA has a much more solid sounding "Thunk".
Old 11-03-2005, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
1 too slow. , doesnt respond well at all to mods... i knew it wasnt a speed demon but i figured it'd respond to mods liek a honduh does but NOPE

2 cheap horrible paint

5 gas mileage is hard to keep consistent whether it's high or low... my best mpg runs lately have been on a 180 mile roadtrip with an average speed of 90 believe that.....

7 worst clutch ever.... toyota didnt realize with quicker gearing , more weight and a more enthusiast based demographic that theyre cheap echo carryover parts wouldnt hold up.... nothing like a 800+ dollar clutch job to see that it doesnt happen again... hell my clutch started slipping at 5000 MILES!!!!

8 theyre starting to get REALLY played out.... and without having more than 10k in one it will never win a show at all. let alone just street cred

wow your brutile. LOL. You should have bought something else.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default erase the hate

trust me folks, there are alot worse cars for the money. I think I test drove alot of them. find me another car for around 14,500 with all these power options. Traction control, abs and stability control. You won't. I think instead of hate we should say dislike. Most cars can be improved apon. fix, all those problems you hate and the car would cost you double. Enjoy it for what it is, not what it isn't.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: erase the hate

Originally Posted by svt_to_xb
trust me folks, there are alot worse cars for the money. I think I test drove alot of them. find me another car for around 14,500 with all these power options. Traction control, abs and stability control. You won't. I think instead of hate we should say dislike. Most cars can be improved apon. fix, all those problems you hate and the car would cost you double. Enjoy it for what it is, not what it isn't.
I agree... but I would gladly give up VSC for more power, or better sheet metal. You are correct... it should say dislike, not hate... Overall.. its a great econobox...
Old 11-03-2005, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 cheap horrible paint

Wow.. you're tough... I don't plan on modding for more power... its not a good platform to start with... and this engine is designed for economy, not performance. FWD sucks... but it makes cars affordable... and its good in the snow. I got an automatic since my other cars are manuals.... glad I did as I use the box for city drives and its nice to have... Thanks for your comments
Old 11-03-2005, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: erase the hate

Originally Posted by mikem53
Originally Posted by svt_to_xb
I agree... but I would gladly give up VSC for more power, or better sheet metal. You are correct... it should say dislike, not hate... Overall.. its a great econobox...
thanks for the acknowledgement. If you really think about it, whats the benifit to thicker sheetmetal?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikem53

2 cheap horrible paint

Wow.. you're tough... I don't plan on modding for more power... its not a good platform to start with... and this engine is designed for economy, not performance. FWD sucks... but it makes cars affordable... and its good in the snow. I got an automatic since my other cars are manuals.... glad I did as I use the box for city drives and its nice to have... Thanks for your comments
If front wheel drive is so bad , why is it in your track car?

Quick Reply: Top ten things I DONT like about the xB