First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Topping Off the Tank -- How and Why and Good or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldmanatee
Thanks for letting me know that you were joking... I was worried that yall were really serious about this...

Now, for the codes and vapors, the cannister is designed to collect the expansion vapors from when the tank is full and due to external conditions, the vapors expand and due to the EPA regs have to go to a sealed container. IF, and it is a big if, over time, you have accidentally overfilled the tank the vapors and raw gas are vented into the cannister. The charcoal is designed to absorb the vapors, so after time, if raw gas has been vented as well, the cannister will be useless. I don't know how much contamination that requires, but the sensors then throw the code and next time the car is in the shop, the dealer has to by law, make the emission system legal again. In AL, that means he can refuse to release your car until you fix it. I am not sure, but if the code is serious enough, it could put the car in "limp Home" mode... talk about degraded performance!!!
And the ODBII regs are so tight.....It is a fact that ULEV engines are capable of exhausting cleaner air than it takes in.
All I was saying was why take the chance? Gas 'er up, stop at the next dollar, and hit the road...
Thanks for the 'canister' information. Sounds like, because I drive 7 to 200 miles after each fill-up, there is little chance of the expansion being an issue even with my topping off. Now all we have to deal with is the enviro-concerns
I really NEED to top off because of my job. If I didn't, I'd be stuck buying more expensive gas (taxes) or purchasing gas daily. That little bit in the filler neck really makes a difference for me. I know - I'm selfish. Does that make me a bad person?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 09-24-2005, 10:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ptmccain
King of the 'one liner'
Old 09-26-2005, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jamesgang
Thanks for the 'canister' information. Sounds like, because I drive 7 to 200 miles after each fill-up, there is little chance of the expansion being an issue even with my topping off. Now all we have to deal with is the enviro-concerns
I really NEED to top off because of my job. If I didn't, I'd be stuck buying more expensive gas (taxes) or purchasing gas daily. That little bit in the filler neck really makes a difference for me. I know - I'm selfish. Does that make me a bad person?
No, that isn't what makes you a bad person.....
Old 09-26-2005, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, that isn't what makes you a bad person.....
I HEAR THAT
Old 09-27-2005, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MissXbCt
Well, I never have had a problem with the clicks. When i drove my Xb to Florida this past July, I had stopped in Pa to get gas, (at this time gas wasn't as bad) so I got about 25.00 worth. When i got to like 22.50, it clicked for the 1st time, so then I kept pumping-and it kept clicking. It clicked about FIVE times and then all i hear is SPLOOSH! I look down and gas just flew out the tank. Grrrrr.....But nah I havent had any serious issues with it.
yeah i'm sure gas all over you and the car is normal ;P don't complain the 'paint is crap' when it gets ruined around your gas door!
Old 09-27-2005, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yesti
Well, I never have had a problem with the clicks. When i drove my Xb to Florida this past July, I had stopped in Pa to get gas, (at this time gas wasn't as bad) so I got about 25.00 worth. When i got to like 22.50, it clicked for the 1st time, so then I kept pumping-and it kept clicking. It clicked about FIVE times and then all i hear is SPLOOSH! I look down and gas just flew out the tank. Grrrrr.....But nah I havent had any serious issues with it.
yeah i'm sure gas all over you and the car is normal ;P don't complain the 'paint is crap' when it gets ruined around your gas door!
It would be advisable to, after the 1st click, pull out a bit - maybe reinsert until a comfortable position is found - then gently complete the fill-up until topping off is complete. Remembering that carelessness or distractions can cause premature SPLOOSHING.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It would be advisable to, after the 1st click, pull out a bit - maybe reinsert until a comfortable position is found - then gently complete the fill-up until topping off is complete. Remembering that carelessness or distractions can cause premature SPLOOSHING.
It is more advisable to not top off as the sign says at my neighborhood costco ;) but whatever floats your boat so to speak. how many more miles do you think you get from filling it so high?
Old 09-27-2005, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 09-28-2005, 09:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is more advisable to not top off as the sign says at my neighborhood costco ;) but whatever floats your boat so to speak. how many more miles do you think you get from filling it so high?
I always thought that sign was out of respect for the driver and passengers of the car behind you in line. In that situation, I do get out of the way.
I get anywhere from 50 to 80 more miles by adding 1.5 to 2 gallons. Figure 35mpg x 1.5gallons at a minimum to 40mpg x 2 gallons max. The variences come from driving conditions and pump sensitivity respectively. This is not what I think - rather, what I know.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As long as you can live with the threat of premature SPLOOSHING and possibly ruining your pants, in your case, I'd say, pack it in......

No, wait, that didn't sound right.......
Old 09-28-2005, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As long as you can live with the threat of premature SPLOOSHING and possibly ruining your pants, in your case, I'd say, pack it in......

No, wait, that didn't sound right.......
Nothing, mind you, NOTHING, elicits more emotion from TheWife, than me prematurely SPLOOSHING and ruining my pants. I'm not sure which part of that upsets her so, though.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by LunchLady
Well here in NJ we are not allowed to pump our own gas so what's a girl to do?
You are ALLOWED.. I just moved from NJ. Gas stations in Jersey (and I think MI) are required to have employees there to pump gas. But if you park by the pump, and get out, you can pump your own gas GIRL!
Old 09-29-2005, 10:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TANTALIZEDMIND
Originally Posted by LunchLady
Well here in NJ we are not allowed to pump our own gas so what's a girl to do?
You are ALLOWED.. I just moved from NJ. Gas stations in Jersey (and I think MI) are required to have employees there to pump gas. But if you park by the pump, and get out, you can pump your own gas GIRL!
What's up with that anyway? Is it a 'make-work' program? For safety reasons? What?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear in NJ, that is considered 'skilled labor'....
Old 09-29-2005, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member

Default NO NO NO

DON'T TOP OFF THE EXTRA GAS EITHER GOES INTO YOUR VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM OR THE GAS STATIONS RECOVERY SYSTEM BUT NOT THAT MUCH GOES INTO YOUR TANK.