Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Toyota Urban Utility Vehicle (bB, COO, Materia, DEX)...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I say put some steel in the doors--proper lights--and bring it on!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 05:12 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They do have SOME steel in the doors, Yeller.

There are already anti-intrusion bars at bumper height inside the doors, would only have to add a set of the higher mounted rails to survive the US crash tests.

(Notice that the rear hatch on the newgen bB latches in THREE places? Bottom, and both sides, about half way up?)

2" longer wheelbase, wider track, shorter overall, same height, full side bags, sliding/reclining/folding rear seats. Yeah, I like the features.

Tom
Old 05-20-2007, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YAAAYY :D

Words cannot express my happiness. Thanks for the thread remix, Tomas. This was too good not to share with the original xB purists.

It's BACK, you guys! :D That nerdy little dorkmobile we know and love! Not that mutant little tC wAgon that your local Scion dealer wants you to buy. And best of all, it has that same head-turning style insanity that makes people turn and say, "What is that? Is that a CAR?!"

I've been waffling back and forth on the B2 ever since I heard about the Miami event, but I took one look at this baby and knew I would take one in a heartbeat. I don't even care about the options - as long as it has what my box has (and side airbags), I really don't give a rat's patootie. Just LEAVE THE DIMENSIONS ALONE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I'm seriously considering this vehicle as the eventual replacement for my current xB. Mind you, planning to replace a Toyota product means you have like 12 years to figure it out, but it never hurts to plan ahead. So...

Question for the group: how do we get them HERE?
Old 05-20-2007, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

everyone, let's stop buying the new xB2, so Toyota will bring bB to states for replacement.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I just hope you are not getting our hopes up too high!! This would solve the problem of having redily available JDM mod parts, gas mileage and the more nimble ride we all love. We can only hope Scion and/or Toyota listens. . Then again, Scion did not want to listen to anyone over 30. Tomas--I loved your point posted elsewhere that they listened to what people wanted for the new xB but NOT to what they liked about the old one. I think that, in my mind, hit the nail on the head. I can see no downside risk for Toyota bringing this one over---they would have a ready made and passionate audience.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:55 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First, the bB has never been made in a LHD model - still isn't.

The Scion for the US was the only bB clone of the older style that has been made LHD.

I've known about (and followed) the new JDM bB, but what recently perked my ears up was that there is a LHD version being marketed around the world as the Materia (except the US - we get the super sized version).

So long as there was just the RHD bB and the RHD Daihatsu Coo, both JDM only, I had little hope that there would even be a chance for one to make it here. Now, all of a sudden, the LHD version pops up all over. Maybe, just maybe, there would be a chance for it to come to the US - the development work for a LHD model is already completed...

Oh, well, I can dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUNEI1yizaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHZMhTrCzwY

Tom
Old 05-20-2007, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A HUGE THANKYOU Tom..
I ran across several mentions obout the LHD Materia... but no firm info
Old 05-20-2007, 08:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ZOMGXB wrote:
It's BACK, you guys! That nerdy little dorkmobile we know and love!
Dorkmobile.. haha

Quick question.. Is Daihatsu a sub of Toyota?
So overseas, Daihatsu is like Scion to Toyota?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the info Tomas. Did you note the two engine options? 1.5L and 1.3L.

Kasra
Old 05-20-2007, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So... I wonder how much importing and modifying a Materia to US standards would cost? (Not to mention insuring it.)
Old 05-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, Krispies, Daihatsu is a sub of Toyota - they are a smaller manufacturer that Toyota bought when they were having some problems. In fact, the current JDM Toyota bB is made at the Daihatsu plant in Osaka, and it appears that all the Toyota vehicles that use 1.5 or smaller engines are now using Daihatsu designs.

Both Daihatsu and Scion are Toyota just as much as Chevrolet and Pontiac are General Motors.

Yeah, Kasra, I saw the 1.3 and 1.5 engines, but the original bB had those two size options, too. The 1.5 is the only one that made it in to the xA/xB in the US, though.

The import regulations into the US are so tough that it would be very unusual for one to make it in - one would have to be very dedicated to even try.

Now that Daihatsu has closed down it's US business other than providing parts for the many Daihatsu vehicles they sold here, and Scion has abandoned the little boxy citycar for the grown up xA coming in later this year (xD), our only hope would be for Toyota to add that vehicle to it's line here.

I won't hold my breath, though.

Tom
Old 05-20-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So Daihatsu Design, Toyota Engines? What were the past reviews on Daihatsu cars? If they had problems financialy to be bought by Toyota there must be something wrong with their cars right? So when Toyota took over, did they improve anything on the quality of cars Daihatsu releases?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Wow... that would be pretty sweet if it found its way over here.
Unfortunately, it seems that Scion has their plans now, and I wouldn't expect to see it over here.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krispies13
So Daihatsu Design, Toyota Engines? What were the past reviews on Daihatsu cars? If they had problems financialy to be bought by Toyota there must be something wrong with their cars right? So when Toyota took over, did they improve anything on the quality of cars Daihatsu releases?
No, actually, all Daihatsus and Toyotas with 1.5L or smaller engines are moving to Daihatsu designed engines according to the automotive press...

Daihatsu manufactures the Toyota PASSO and bB at its Ikeda plant, along with several of their own models.

The biggest "problem" with the Daihatsus that were imported to the states, IIRC, was that they did not fit with the US market, were ugly, and just plain didn't sell well enough to warrant a nationwide dealer network.

Right now, there are four different Toyotas being built by Daihatsu at various Daihatsu plants:

... and they are still Toyotas with Toyota quality.

Tom
Old 05-20-2007, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is my favorite one from the pics fresh from singapore..

Not diggin' the zerbra print dash tho.. but I love the kit and wheels.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

We need a grass roots campaign to get Toyota to listen!!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice compilation of pics and specs, Thomas!

I've said it once, and I'll say it a thousand times again: If they brought the new bB over, it'd be my next car. I held my word with the xB when it came over, and I'd buy the new bB in a heartbeat. (Plus, that white one above has my Rays Texan Shotgun wheels on it!)
Old 05-22-2007, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if it came to the US with the same grill as that one in the picture right above me 3 posts up (the black one) then i have a feeling it could be a winner over here if offered with 16 inch rims at least stock in several colors...
Old 05-22-2007, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish they would just make like an xB1 rigged up to the 1.8l motor from the Corolla. That would be like my perfect car.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

(From another discussion)

...I want a gas sipper, but I still NEED my car to be big enough and safe enough for my family...
Bingo! That's why "Toyota" built this new car for you.

They didn't build it for the cool, hip, underground hip-hop, gangster, graffiti artist, alternative lifestyle, urban youth.

The new Scions are proof that Toyota's original marketing plan of creating a separate branch of operations, where they could go off-the-wall and build cars that will excite young people, has either failed, or been given up on. In my opinion they can do away with the urban marketing now. These new cars are pure Toyota. Designed to please as many people as possible.
Ya know, Don, I hadn't quite thought about it in that way, but you may be right.

In that pic of the xb, Materia and xB2 above, if the Materia (LHD bB) were the Scion and the current US xB2 were the Toyota, it would make perfect sense: The World Citycar is odd enough and different enough to definitely polarize opinions, just like the original xB did, and is a match for the urban underground viral marketing shtick that identified Scion.

The newgen xB is the perfect family wagon - the mom, 2.3 kids and a dog, "off to conquer the world" vehicle. Toyota could slip it in as a wagon in one of their sedan lines and no one would bat an eye.

Someone at Scion took their eye off the ball and let a normal family wagon slip in the back door instead of driving a quirky "thing" right through the front door, music blaring and lights dancing.

What happened to "In your face!" Scion?

I like the bB front better than the Materia, but...

Tom

Quick Reply: Toyota Urban Utility Vehicle (bB, COO, Materia, DEX)...