Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Toyota Urban Utility Vehicle (bB, COO, Materia, DEX)...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
What might even be neat, if Toyota won't import the newgen bB/materia to the US, would be for it to be imported to Canada in a form that we could bring across the border... (Like the folks in Canada sneak xB's the other way.)

In any case, I would buy one of 'em if I could. I like the feature set.

Tom
No go. : (

Originally Posted by Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Act
Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:11 AM
vjm
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

How did I miss this thread?!? I am mostly in love with the Materia. Look at its cute little snub nose! Awww...

Hear me Lords of Toyota: When my 2006.5 Gen 1 needs to be retired to the garage, I will buy another City Car. I have no problems leaving the Toyota brand name if there is no car that fits that description. And I will be a rich lawyer by then, and you could totally upsell me on cushy options.

How about a progression of City Cars? Cheap- moderate- expensive- ridiculous. Just keep the size, mpg (or alternate fuel) and ability to put big stuff in from time to time, and some DECENT styling.

Peace,
Virginia
Old 07-10-2007, 04:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Emura
Originally Posted by Tomas
What might even be neat, if Toyota won't import the newgen bB/materia to the US, would be for it to be imported to Canada in a form that we could bring across the border... (Like the folks in Canada sneak xB's the other way.)

In any case, I would buy one of 'em if I could. I like the feature set.

Tom
No go. : (

Originally Posted by Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Act
Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.
No, what I'm suggesting is that a perfectly legal one that complies with the regs be imported to Canada by Toyota, just like they import Corollas (which are sold in just about every part of the planet). I'm not suggesting at all trying to sneak non-compliant Materia's into the US or Canada - I'm hoping for LEGAL ones so we can get out hands on 'em.

Tom
Old 07-10-2007, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Something is going to have to give when they finally get to the point that each manufacturer's fleet (including trucks and SUVs) has to average 35MPG. They will have to bring out small efficient cars and stop the bigger is better syndrome.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm with the majority here in that the JDM bB Gen 2 is a far more appealing car than the xB Gen 2 we are getting here. As I said in another post, the new U.S. xB is a fine car--it's just an entirely different concept that the original.

Frankly, I can afford to drive just about any car I want, and what I want is something different. As an older guy with a decent job, kids grown up and out of the house, etc., etc., Toyota probably would want to see me in a Lexus.
But it's the original's quirkiness that made it appealing to me. I don't like driving a car that looks like every other Toyota/Honda/Nissan on the road. And the new xB U.S. Gen 2 is just that.
Just another soulless, look-alike car, IMHO and with apologies in advance to those who truly do like it.

I'm certain Toyota has the market research numbers to build the case for their current model strategy. It's a shame that that strategy flies in the face of the original Scion box personality, cause it's leaving a lot of passionate Scion car people disappointed.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-21-2020 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 07-21-2007, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by kevets
I wish they would just make like an xB1 rigged up to the 1.8l motor from the Corolla. That would be like my perfect car.
as is mine slap an older trd supercharger on it and call it a day
Old 07-21-2007, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by OldYeller
Something is going to have to give when they finally get to the point that each manufacturer's fleet (including trucks and SUVs) has to average 35MPG. They will have to bring out small efficient cars and stop the bigger is better syndrome.
yeah good luck with that ever happening
Old 07-21-2007, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by crashdad
I'm with the majority here in that the JDM bB gen 2 is a far more appealing car than the xb gen 2 we are getting here. As I said in another post, the new U.S. xb is a fine car--it's just an entirely different concept that the original.

Frankly, I can afford to drive just about any car I want, and what I want is something different. As an older guy with a decent job, kids grown up and out of the house, etc., etc., Toyota probaly would want to see me in a Lexus. But it's the original's quirkiness that made it appealing to me. I don't like driving a car that looks like every other Toyota/Honda/Nissan on the road. And the new xB U.S. gen 2 is just that...just another souless, look-alike car, IMHO and with apologies in advance to those who truly do like it.

I'm certain Toyota has the market research numbers to build the case for their current model strategy. It's a shame that that strategy flies in the face of the original Scion box personality, cause it's leaving a lot of passionate Scion car people disappointed.

very true
Old 07-22-2007, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm with the majority here in that the JDM bB gen 2 is a far more appealing car than the xb gen 2 we are getting here. As I said in another post, the new U.S. xb is a fine car--it's just an entirely different concept that the original.

Frankly, I can afford to drive just about any car I want, and what I want is something different. As an older guy with a decent job, kids grown up and out of the house, etc., etc., Toyota probaly would want to see me in a Lexus. But it's the original's quirkiness that made it appealing to me. I don't like driving a car that looks like every other Toyota/Honda/Nissan on the road. And the new xB U.S. gen 2 is just that...just another souless, look-alike car, IMHO and with apologies in advance to those who truly do like it.

WOW--this looks like a post I wrote quite awhile back. The core xB1 fan seems to be either young--or of a generation like ours that has a dose of nonconformity in our souls....................
Old 07-22-2007, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...I'm certain Toyota has the market research numbers to build the case for their current model strategy. It's a shame that that strategy flies in the face of the original Scion box personality, cause it's leaving a lot of passionate Scion car people disappointed.
They probably had market research numbers that built the original case that the xA would far outsell the xB. Oops. (OTOH, the tC outsells the xA and xB combined, so I'd be completely unsurprised if the xB2 sells like hotcakes.)

Still, time will tell, and I'm curious to see the monthly sales figures, especially after the xD's been out for a few months.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to revive an old but still interesting thread, here are the current versions of the Toyota Urban Utility Vehicle (bB, COO, Materia, DEX)...

(I seriously like the look of the front end on the DEX version. I'd buy one tomorrow morning if it were available.)

Old 09-04-2010, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Tomas so would I....maybe even 2....now if they did it in AWD....
Old 09-07-2010, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

That DEX looks awesome
Old 09-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe the look of the Subaru DEX can grow on one quite easily...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-21-2020 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A German (left-hand drive) version of the current box, "Yakuza Style"...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-23-2020 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 09-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

German review of LHD Materia...

"Bizarre City Car from Japan: Daihatsu Materia is far more than a shoebox on four wheels."

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-23-2020 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 09-08-2010, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

This looks nice!

The Scion Hako Concept Car

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-21-2020 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 09-09-2010, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

I would go into severe debt tomorrow if I could own a Dex, or any version of the current bB!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I love the Dex.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

the Dex is cool so we will never get it.....
umm Dex cool lol..