Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Trade-in advice. I already know I am a moron.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Trade-in advice. I already know I am a moron.

After recently learning how to drive stick on my friend's prelude, I've been infatuated with driving a manual. When I bought my xB over 2 years ago (it was the first car I've ever owned), I didn't know squat about cars and much less about manual transmissions, so I didn't even consider it. But after entering the modding scene I started picking up things here and there. My friend recently sold his prelude, but before doing so allowed me to give the clutch a little burn, and now I'm sold on a manual.

I found a used manual xB that I'm considering a trade for, but I need some help with knowing the feasibility of the entire situation. My current xB is in very good condition with low miles at 19K, except for some scratches on the rear bumper. The manual that I am looking at has 23K miles on it. Since my car is KBB'ed at a higher value, I was hoping to make a fairly even trade although I hope to take no more than a minor loss of about $1000 since the dealer still needs to make a profit to make it worthwhile.

My questions are:
1) My car is currently being financed. Could I trade-in a financed car? (I'd need to finance the next car as well.)
2) Does the dealer have a tax cost on taking my trade-in?
3) Could I reduce the price I pay by offering to keep my scratched bumper, and switching it with the other bumper?

I already know how dumb I am for wanting to switch to a manual after spending the extra cash to buy an automatic but this has been my first experience with owning a car, so please keep that in mind and keep the flaming to a minimum.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-14-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I know that yes you can trade in a car that is financed. i did it with my bop when i got the rs4.0
but i dont think the bumper thing would work out, and about strat trading i would say up to the dealer that your are trading and the kbb is just a guide not fact. just go and see what they say and good luck
Old 02-14-2007, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, is it just an urban legend, or is it really better to do a trade-in at the end of the month because of salesmen trying to meet quotas?

Also, I bought a rear bumper applique to cover up some of the bumper scratches, but I haven't put in on yet since I was considering a trade. However, do you think that would help if I put it on my current xB?
Old 02-14-2007, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. The dealer will not give you anything close to KBB.
2. You will have to pay tax + license on the new car, so expect to spend more than $1000 for the difference.
3. If I were you, I'd keep my Auto, cuz the manual xB gets worse gas mileage, and you have no idea how well the previous owner took care of it.

-THE DON
Old 02-14-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, I know I won't get KBB, but I'm trading it for the same car, so I figured it would help that mine is worth slightly more.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ You'd be surprised. I think u should drive to like 5 scion dealers and get the quotes to trade-in for a manual box. take the best offer.

also, try to go to the "biggest" or "busiest" scion dealer in your area- they are more flexible with pricing since they have cars coming in and out but dont expect a huge difference.

I honestly think you're going to have to trade in your box and pay like ~$3,000 to switch to the manual...

when i first got my white box, w/30 miles on the odo, i went to the dealer and asked how much it would cost for me to trade in for a diff. color box.

he said 3 grand.

i said are you kidding and he wasn't. So i just kept my box and i've been happy ever since ;]
- sh00k
Old 02-14-2007, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

More than likely you will not get the amount you have left over to pay off your current box. (it sucks, but thats how some dealers are). Then you would go in tot eh deal in the hole, which you don't want to do. I'd say keep the box you have now.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The answer is to either keep your current xB or sell it yourself. You can keep using it while you do so. You should be able to get a near retail price if you hold out for a bit...and heck if it doesn't sell you can just keep driving it The dealer is a dealer to make money he can not give you what your trade is worth at retail or he would end up bankrupt.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep your xB, wait to get a manual when you need a new car. Like some others said, you'll spend much more than $1,000 to make a trade. I just checked KBB and the difference between my xB's "trade" and "suggested retail" price is about $3,000. Trading a financed car to a dealer is no problem- they just get the pay off info from the bank. If you're doing that, I'd go during the day on a weekday when they're more likely to be able to contact the bank. I don't think you can sell private party without paying off your loan and having the title in hand. Too bad you don't have Carmax in PA, they paid more than the dealer for my trade.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're better off taking the loss you'll incur on the trade to buy a beater manual car. I sold a 1990 Isuzu Trooper 5spd in running condition for about $1,000.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by THE_DON
2. You will have to pay tax + license on the new car, so expect to spend more than $1000 for the difference.
3. If I were you, I'd keep my Auto, cuz the manual xB gets worse gas mileage, and you have no idea how well the previous owner took care of it.

-THE DON
manual doesnt get worse gas mileage. dont know who told you that. its in how you drive it. automatics have always got worse gas mileage than manuals if you even wanted to go that route. if anything the manual will get better gas mileage...yes even with the rpms being slightly higher.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my area, I have been able to get more than KBB value on trades. Sometimes as high as just below retail value (at high volume dealers).
Old 02-15-2007, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If its going to be at least 3000 to trade, you would be better off keeping it and using the 3000 for mods. Is it possible to do a conversion to manual? If it is, that might be cheaper than 3k.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

my 06 five speed is only worth 11,9 this sucks! (private party)
thats with 25,000 miles, 17" wheels, dvd player
Old 02-15-2007, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

-THE DON
Exactly right! Plus the manuals also need to be upgraded with a heavier pressure plate cause the stock ones are not allowing the clutch disc to last. Keep the auto! You will be much happier in the long run!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER

-THE DON
Exactly right! Plus the manuals also need to be upgraded with a heavier pressure plate cause the stock ones are not allowing the clutch disc to last. Keep the auto! You will be much happier in the long run!
once again its all in how you drive the car. the worse gas mileage in a manual is still wrong and if any COULD be better than the other it would be Manual getting better gas mileage than an automatic. if you know how to drive a stick the clutch will be fine. you will not get better gas mileage with an automatic and if you enjoy driving the vehicle and not just hitting the gas and break get a stick. it is just how you are picturing it :-)
Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Trade-in advice. I already know I am a moron.

Originally Posted by Batmobox
After recently learning how to drive stick on my friend's prelude, I've been infatuated with driving a manual. When I bought my xB over 2 years ago (it was the first car I've ever owned), I didn't know squat about cars and much less about manual transmissions, so I didn't even consider it. But after entering the modding scene I started picking up things here and there. My friend recently sold his prelude, but before doing so allowed me to give the clutch a little burn, and now I'm sold on a manual.

I found a used manual xB that I'm considering a trade for, but I need some help with knowing the feasibility of the entire situation. My current xB is in very good condition with low miles at 19K, except for some scratches on the rear bumper. The manual that I am looking at has 23K miles on it. Since my car is KBB'ed at a higher value, I was hoping to make a fairly even trade although I hope to take no more than a minor loss of about $1000 since the dealer still needs to make a profit to make it worthwhile.

My questions are:
1) My car is currently being financed. Could I trade-in a financed car? (I'd need to finance the next car as well.)
2) Does the dealer have a tax cost on taking my trade-in?
3) Could I reduce the price I pay by offering to keep my scratched bumper, and switching it with the other bumper?

I already know how dumb I am for wanting to switch to a manual after spending the extra cash to buy an automatic but this has been my first experience with owning a car, so please keep that in mind and keep the flaming to a minimum.

Thanks guys!
the ideal situation may be trading your xb w/ someone who wants an auto box. i think there will be ppl on this forum that might be interested in switching! not sure what kind of complications are w/ that though - maybe both of you have to own the car outright.

just a thought...
Old 02-15-2007, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as the tax goes, if the one you were buying was 15k and you were getting 14.5k from the trade, you would only pay tax on the $500. This only works with trade-ins.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh really? Wow that's good to know!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Easy answer...I agree with those who said to keep it...I sold cars for a while and you will lose your rear end on the auto...keep it and buy a manual on the next car...

Quick Reply: Trade-in advice. I already know I am a moron.