First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

trailer hitch for my xb

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default trailer hitch for my xb

I was just wondering if any of you members had a trailer hitch installed on your xb's yet. I need to get one to tow my four wheeler around... thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion doesn't recommend towing with these cars.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm sure they don't recommend it, but im going to be towing a very small trailer and 1 four wheeler.. Im pretty sure its not going to be a prob. Just need to find a decent looking hitch.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I too need a trailer. For the stroller and those trips to the store that result in more than three bags of groceries.

Not knowing much about towing, I'd bet that UHAUL wouldn't allow you to tow a 4 wheeler behind an xB, Think of the wieght ratio. But I really don't know.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

due to the fact that Scion doesn't want it done with their cars, nobody in their right mind would produce a trailer hitch for these cars. The liability is too great, these cars don't have the engine, trans, clutch, or brakes for towing. You may find some guy to make a custom one for you, but he'll be putting himself and his business at a VERY high risk.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

guys my 4 wheeler only weighs 350 lbs.... geeesh

Old 02-24-2004, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

plus the weight of the trailer....plus the weight of passengers and gear......equals more then the car is designed for. Not to mention the extremely short wheelbase of these cars.
Tow at your own risk.......
Old 02-24-2004, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

I also own a Volkswagen bus, old air cooled ones. If they make hitches for those old 1600cc 50hp buses and bugs, they will make them for scions.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

your going to tell me that this is worse than towing a jet ski with a 1993 honda civic cx? I used to tow my ski all around town in that little honda that was ten times slower and lacked more power than my xb... Im not asking if I should or shouldn't do it, im asking if you guys had seen a trailer hitch for the xb.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Spider13
I also own a Volkswagen bus, old air cooled ones. If they make hitches for those old 1600cc 50hp buses and bugs, they will make them for scions.
nuff said..
Old 02-24-2004, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

I do a LOT of towing and a small 4x5' trailer in normal towing circumstances will not cause much of a problem. the one thing you need to be concerned about is uphill towing especially through mountains...you risk overheating the tranny. Other than that, you should be ok. But to answer your question, I do not know where you can go to get a hitch.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by miamijdm
guys my 4 wheeler only weighs 350 lbs.... geeesh

Mmmmm that looks scary. Does that have more HP than the xB? Maybe you should put a hitch on IT

I've seen small cars with hitches.. someone has something that'll fit I'm sure. Some sort of universal fit thing from jcWhitney ??
Old 02-24-2004, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Rhobz
the one thing you need to be concerned about is uphill towing especially through mountains...you risk overheating the tranny.
i guess im lucky here in Miami the steepest thing we have is speed bumps... lol
Old 02-24-2004, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Default xb towing

I've heard someone is using a xb to tow a funny car up the return lane...and I've had a bunch of people ask me if I think it could tow a motorcycle...I really don't know...I could see where uphill could be a problem ...anyone tried any of this??
Old 02-24-2004, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

The one thing I probably should have mentioned is...if you have a hitch attached to your xB and you develop ANY kind of tranny or similar problems...I almost guarantee that the warranty will not be honored.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ight=tow+hitch

scion is not for towing.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member

I heard that the Xb was based on the Toyota Echo sub-body. Hidden Hitch offers a hitch for the Echo. I couldn't find a new Echo on the lot to compare. You might check this out.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Towing a small trailer and contents weighing a few hundred pounds isn't much different than hauling three passengers around (as long as the trailer wheel bearings and tires aren't creating much friction and rolling resistance), except the load is located behind the vehicle instead of near the center of gravity. Because our boxes are so light, the additional weight and the impact on handling would be noticeable. But short hauls of very light loads over fairly flat terrain should be doable.

I doubt you will find a commercial bolt-on hitch, as I believe the rear chassis and suspension are different from Echos although the drivetrain is the same. If you look under your box near the rear, you will see two tiedown fixtures bolted very solidly (two bolts each side) to the substructure (these fixtures are metal tabs with cutouts to attach hooks or straps for shipping, I assume). These tabs could be removed, and a custom-fabricated cross arm for a hitch ball mount could be bolted in their place. Ground clearance and rear bumper clearance would be a little tricky.

It would be easy to remove the custom hitch mount with just four bolts when it isn't needed. Or if you should blow the hell out of your auto tranny towing a travel trailer going over the continental divide, and want to try to get it covered under warranty.

It would be great to rig up a small cargo box trailer, like you see behind motorcycles, to provide more storage space for a road trip. If a bike can haul one, so can the xbox (damn, too bad Microsoft already uses that name. I wonder if their attorneys will sue the crap out of me for this post.)
Old 03-29-2004, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like i posted before, it IS possible or else they wouldn't have one on this Bb. i've been checking around for places to custom fabricate one. the trick is going to be getting the receptacle to come out under the rear lip and have a reversed drop hitch on it to make the trailer level. IT WILL BE DONE! i have no other way to get my jet ski to the lake!

Old 03-29-2004, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Spider13

There are a lot more variables that go into the towing capacity of a vehicle than the size and power of the engine.

You could tow 5000 pounds with a 20 horsepower engine if you want. It all depends on your gearing. You could have very short gear ratios and be able to pull that 5000 pounds, but you won't be able to tow it at highway speeds. When that much pressure is applied on gears turning that fast, the tranny will heat up and eventually develope problems.

Also, you need to consider how you will tow the trailer up a hill, BUT ALSO HOW YOU WILL STOP THE TRAILER. The Scion has adequate brakes for it's size, but it'll be terrible at stopping with 400+ pounds being towed behind it.

Quick Reply: trailer hitch for my xb