Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

trailer hitch for my xb

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 12:35 AM
Banned
SL Member

I was thinking about this too ... possibly having a small enclosed trailer towed behind the xB for carrying craft stuff for the wife. Nothing heavy, about 1K total between the xB and the load ..... hmmmmm. I dont want to viod that extended warrenty either though. :?
Old 05-21-2004, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

curt hitch when i talked to them said as soon as toyota released an xb to them that they were going to get on it due to theover welming request for a hitch
Old 05-21-2004, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Okay, I've done the small car towing a small trailer thing.

I had a 1992 Convertable Metro LSi. I used it to pull my jetski all over central texas.

I lived at Ft Hood and would tow the ski down to my dads house on the southside of houston at least twice a month. Hell, my ex-wife used it to pull a small uhaul trailer, loaded down, from savannah, ga to ft hood, tx. She had no problems.

The metro never had a problem, not pulling the ski, putting it in the water or pulling it out.

Actually, there were times when I could pull my ski out better then the trucks could pull their boats out because it was front wheel drive.

Anyway, here is how the tow hitch works (like the one shown above, very much like the one UHaul put on my Metro). You have to drill 4 holes in the bottom of the car (usually in the spare tire well). Then they put some metal bracing in the car, the hitch under the car, and bolt them together.

The biggest issue would be trimming the skirts up so it looked right. Also, most of these smaller hitches are not "hide-a-hitch" style and the arm cannot be removed.

If my small ___ metro, with a 1-liter/3-cylinder engine can pull cross country, then the xB should be fine.

I would recommend (if you have an automatic) getting a tranny cooler. And leave the overdrive off anytime you are flooring it, passing or pulling away. (I'd only turn it on once I got to cruising speed, if I were doing this). My Metro was a 5-speed, and it would pull in 5th down the highway all day long.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member

Default trailer hitch for XB to attach bike racks...

Hello All,

Sorry to bring up the trailer hitch for the XB thing again. It seemed to get everyone excited for all the wrong reasons. I don't want to tow a Winnebago across the divide.

What I do want to do is get a hitch so I can mount one of those handy bike racks instead of putting on roof bike racks. I know that it will get in the way of my back door, but I'm OK with that.

If anyone knows of anybody making the receiver hitch thing for an XB, please let me know. I'm in Florida, so driving to California might be a bit much, but since I get such good gas mileage with my Scion, I'm willing to drive pretty far.

All the best, Shoebox
Old 06-06-2004, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member

why dont you take the seats out, and load the 4 wheeler in the back? just get a tarp and a sheet of plywood to protect the bottom of the xB... and find some where to tie the sucker down...
Old 07-07-2004, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Trailer hitch complete

Yes, this is a duplicate post from another thread,
but I though it was important.
----------

I have finished building the trailer hitch for my xB.

I made it from 1 ¼ box tubing and existing 1 ¼ receiver parts arc-welded together.
The application is purely bolt on, so it can be removed at a later time.
The only cutting I had to do was a 2" hole through the rear bumpers ground effects, which can be covered by a plastic trailer hitch plug.
Total weight is 31 lbs and it strengthens up the rear bumper considerably.

Now I can use my trailer hitch mount bike rack!

I will post photos and details of the build when I get my digital camera working again.

:D
Old 07-07-2004, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Camper Trailer for xB

My friend just bought this mini pop-up camper (Aspen Classic) for about $3500 that he tows with his big touring motorcycle.

I want to get one for my xB or build something similar.
Anyone else have information on these?

http://www.trailmasterinc.com

Old 07-07-2004, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice Shee, I've got a Predator 500.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member

I built a hitch and mounted it on my xB. I tow a Motocross bike on a 4'x6' trailer all over the place. I never even know it's back there. I can understand their recommendations, but I'm takin' my bike with me when I travel. I spoke with the dealership and it doesn't even affect the warranty. Good luck!