Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 06:45 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) Problem

Today, while driving, I noticed my car seemed a little bit lagged, similar to the power loss felt in most cars w/ the AC running but it felt a little bit stronger than that. Its like I would step on the pedal and there would be just a bit of hesitation before my xB would accelerate.

Then, about an hour later, on the FWY, my Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) started beeping nonstop and the little light of the car/swerving icon was flashing nonstop. I pulled over on the freeway, shut the car off, took the keys out, started it back up and it was fine.

Then, 15 min later, on a surface street, I'm driving maybe 40mph and the VSC just starts beeping/flashing nonstop again. The car seems to be driving normally, becides the beeping/flashing light until I go to make a turn, and the car loses all power throughout the turn, until I straighten back out and I'm able to accelerate normally out of the turn.

I decided not to get back on the freeway and take surface streets home, and a couple random times on the way home, The light randomly lit up and beeped, for maybe 5 seconds or so.

I'm taking it to the dealer 1st thing Monday morning, but I'm wondering if anyone has either experienced this before, or heard of someone who has - also if anyone knows of any service bulletin or known issue of this happening.

BTW my car is 2004 xB with 22K - never had any mechanical problems until this evening.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure if it's VSC or what, it's the little car w/ sliding lines underneath it that lights up.

I talked to the dealer, it's somehow suspension related...the guy at Hamer Toyota in Southern CA gave me a little bit of attitude about the car being modded (specifically about new speakers??) - I'll have to see what they come up with

But in the meantime, has anyone experienced this or heard of it??
Old 10-04-2004, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

haven't heard that before but the car with the curves underneath it is the Traction Control Light...

~wC
Old 10-04-2004, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It could be a bad ASC (traction control) sensor or a bad connection around the sensor. Any problems with your ABS system? The two systems usually use the same sensor for determining wheel speed and therefore slipping/lockup.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I saw from your profile that you have an aftermarket steering wheel and hub. This could potentially be the problem. If things are not lined up properly with installation or the wheel coil got damaged then the car ecu might think that the car is turning when in fact you are going straight. This would cause the ecu to engage the skid control and the VSC lights to come on. This happens because the ecu thinks that your taking a hard turn at very high speeds even when you are going straight. This can be dangerous because at times it could engage your ABS even though you haven't pressed the brakes. I have no idea if this is your problem, but you might want to check that out.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

man thats crazy stuff... im curious to see what it is that causeing the problem. keep us posted!
Old 10-05-2004, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

i have a camo box and tha only time i get tha lite and tha beep is when i am hauling arould a corner in tha rain have tha cheap ___ goodyears from japan so i think that may be tha reason. keep us posted on what you find out.thxs

bondobob
Old 10-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well Minsk99 nailed it. Toyota wasn't able to replicate the problem (From the ODO they put less than 2 miles on the car) but I had a feeling it had something to do w/ the steering wheel link Minsk said.

I had just switched to a quick release adapter and had the hub off the day before. So today I took it all apart, re-aligned that piece that spins with the wheel, and assembeled it and all seems to be fine.

That sensor makes 5 full turns, 2 1/2 to the left and 2 1/2 to the right. if it's off slightly it must of thought I was making a right turn when I was going straight, and thought I was completely turned when making a slight turn.