Wake to find bent muffler/exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Wake to find bent muffler/exhaust

So, today being an average day to me, I did not drive the xB until later in the afternoon. However when i go out to drive, i find that the muffler is leaning, and actually TOUCHING the right side lower bumper (the whole cut out for the muffler). Being that it is an aftermarket muffler I am not surprised it is so far askew.. but amased at WHY it is actaually touching the bumper. Not thinking it was that big of a deal, I take the car out to do what i would normally do on a saturday..basically street trips, etc. After a trip, I get out to check to see the damage (if any). Of course, the muffler HAS to be melting slightly. This was not very annoying to me, but it was still something i didn't like. I get back in the car and drive home, get out, and see that the melting has become a little worse.

Long story short, does anyone know what I could do to somehow "bend" the muffler back into it's original posistion? Is it wise to send it to a muffler shop and have them bend the pipes so it isn't touching the side anymore? ? I don't want to fork over some cash for such an easy job. I am also considering taking a razorblade and slightly cutting off some of the plastic bumper to allow for more breathing room for the now leaning muffler.. I will post pictures as soon as possible for you guys to see the damage (however little it is).
Old 06-05-2005, 04:30 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea im anxious to see some pictures. thats weird. did you off road it any of the days before? very akward. i would say try and bend it back if you can. if its obvious it wont though, take it in. no use in forcing it too much and breaking something. double check all the hangers and make sure theyre all on and good. get pictures up though. im really wanting to see this
Old 06-05-2005, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Definately check the hangers to make sure something hasn't slipped out of place. If those are fine, I'd suggester loosening the coupler and twisting the pipe to try and move it away from the edge and then retighten the coupler.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ive checked the hangers, and it is also welded it on. It is not as if it is just "hanging in balance," I can damn near put 200 pounds of pressure on it safely (so far, don't want to do more than my body wait..).