Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

WeatherTech xB Stone/Bug Deflector

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had quite a few of the stick on and screw on bug guards on my vehicles before. I really like them. The last ones were just stick on tape and they worked well. They are foam blocks with tape so it fills the gap between the hood and grill. Closing the hood clamps the guard in place. I am in Michigan and never had a problem. Went through many car washes as well.

The good thing about this type is that it does not touch the paint. I really like the look of the full bra but I am concerned about dirt getting between the material and paint. Also winter is when I need the most protection. Road salt is worse than rocks. A bra in winter may be a problem.

Another good thing about the screw-less type is rust arount the screw holes. There are no holes to worry about.

Would really like to see one of these on a xB. Mine is black so the black guard shold somewhat blend in, I hope.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Munch
Originally Posted by SCIONSRS1
Originally Posted by badbasic
be careful with the bras. they tend to rub the paint on the top edge. they also hold any dirt that may get in and scratch the paint.
No doubt about that, I got a LeBra for my XB when I took a trip to Florida but once you hit 60MPH it started banging like crazy against the top, we had to use some packaging tape to secure it underneath the hood!!

I think that the Colgan Custom bra, the T-style one, would be better and wouldn't rub or flap at high speeds...
That's the one that I have (Colgan Custum Bra T-style). I've had my Xb up to 110and it dosen't even try to move. It's a top knotch piece.

Ditto, i have the T-stlye one too, and i just got back from a trip from L.A. to Reno, and it did very well. If you don't install it right, it'll start ballooning a little. but if its on right, it won't budge.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have found out that I can get the Lund bugshield shipped to people for more than likely $65. I will have to see what shipping is but that shoul dbe the price.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: WeatherTech xB Stone/Bug Deflector

Originally Posted by fr130
WeatherTech beats LUND! Uses Adhesive tape though (I prefer the screw method), price is $69.95 after shipping.

http://www.weathertech.com/store/veh...pt_choice_id=0

Woohoo...hmmm...I'm still waiting for my ventvisors :D
Just installed my WeatherTech Bug Deflector. I used the adhesive tape it came with.
They also sent screws, but it would require drilling holes so I didn't use them. It stands away enough that you can wash behind it easily.
It looks really good with the Thundercloud color. I just hope it helps with the bugs and small rocks against the windshield.

Sean
Old 07-18-2004, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

pics??
Old 07-18-2004, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_X_Trodinaire
pics??
I was afraid you would say that....I don't have a digital camera.

Sean
Old 07-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Banned
SL Member

Got mine a long time ago. Not sure what the MPGs is now with the deflector attached to the hood, but probably not that bad. There is noise/ wind buffering noise once you hit 60MPH. I did not use those dome shaped guards on the hood though (supposed to minimize vibration. :?

Old 07-18-2004, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got mine a long time ago. Not sure what the MPGs is now with the deflector attached to the hood, but probably not that bad. There is noise/ wind buffering noise once you hit 60MPH. I did not use those dome shaped guards on the hood though (supposed to minimize vibration. :?
I didn't notice any vibation or wind noise at all. No sign of fluttering or movement from the driver seat. I made sure and mounted it so it stood the most upright and kept the adhesion tape as close to the front edge of the hood and still stayed on the flat strip area under the hood. You think I suceeded in getting a tighter and thus less movement?

Sean
Old 07-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Banned
SL Member

I didnt see any movement while driving over or under 60MPH. Maybe it's just me. Or I've been driving straight onto gale/hurrican force winds
Old 07-18-2004, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didnt see any movement while driving over or under 60MPH. Maybe it's just me. Or I've been driving straight onto gale/hurrican force winds
Hey fr30....Wanna reread my post? It isn't just you. I have had NO negative effects.

Sean
Old 07-18-2004, 08:32 PM
DrG
5 Year Member

"Just installed my WeatherTech Bug Deflector. I used the adhesive tape it came with.
They also sent screws, but it would require drilling holes so I didn't use them. It stands away enough that you can wash behind it easily.
It looks really good with the Thundercloud color. I just hope it helps with the bugs and small rocks against the windshield."

I thought the WeatherTech Bug Deflector was car specific in its design. The underhood of my 2005 XB already has holes in it. I thought the screw holes on the Deflector would match the holes on the XB? Actually, I called tham and I was told they had clips/ fasteners and no drilling was required. Was I misinformed? Also, Lund deflectors come in several colors. I was hoping the grey one would look on my Thundercloud XB. Are they out yet?

DrG
Old 07-18-2004, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DrG

I thought the WeatherTech Bug Deflector was car specific in its design. The underhood of my 2005 XB already has holes in it. I thought the screw holes on the Deflector would match the holes on the XB? Actually, I called tham and I was told they had clips/ fasteners and no drilling was required. Was I misinformed? Also, Lund deflectors come in several colors. I was hoping the grey one would look on my Thundercloud XB. Are they out yet?

DrG
DrG,

The holes in the deflector do not line up with the under hood holes. The holes are also large under the hood so some sort of clip would be needed even if the holes did line up.
I think they misinformed you. No clips/fasteners in my package...only screws.

I had the same thought on the grey colored hood deflector from Lund. I just got tired of waiting for them and I was anxious to minimize damage as soon as possible.

Check Lunds website again....maybe they have them now.

Sean
Old 07-18-2004, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: WeatherTech xB Stone/Bug Deflector

WeatherTech beats LUND! Uses Adhesive tape though (I prefer the screw method), price is $69.95 after shipping.

http://www.weathertech.com/store/veh...pt_choice_id=0
WOW! What is that bodykit on the xB on the Weathertech site? Makes it look almost like a Jeep Grand Cherokee!

Old 07-18-2004, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DrG
"Just installed my WeatherTech Bug Deflector. I used the adhesive tape it came with.
It looks really good with the Thundercloud color. I just hope it helps with the bugs and small rocks against the windshield."
DrG
Can you post a photo of your xB with the WeatherTech Bug Deflector?
Old 07-19-2004, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scottwood2

scottwood2,

fr130 has pics.......click on the previous page of this thread and you will see it.

Sean
Old 07-19-2004, 03:16 AM
DrG
5 Year Member

I was quoting scion evolution. See the post on page 1 of this thread. Anyone know the 800 number for Lund. I have tried their website and I can't get connected.

DrG
Old 07-19-2004, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DrG
I was quoting scion evolution. See the post on page 1 of this thread. Anyone know the 800 number for Lund. I have tried their website and I can't get connected.

DrG
Try 800-241-7219
Old 07-19-2004, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bicepeak

scottwood2,

fr130 has pics.......click on the previous page of this thread and you will see it.

Sean
Sorry, missed it. Thanks
Old 07-19-2004, 05:24 PM
DrG
5 Year Member

Thanks for the 800 number for Lund Industries. I called them and they do have the bug deflector for the XB. However, it only comes in clear and smoke and it is only applied by the 3M tape- no screws. Is the tape capable of holding the deflector on well enough?

DrG
Old 07-22-2004, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bicepeak

scottwood2,

Sean
Sorry, missed it. Thanks
You're welcome.

The deflector seems to be working very well. Haven't noticed any bug splats lately.

Sean

Quick Reply: WeatherTech xB Stone/Bug Deflector