Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

WeatherTech xB Stone/Bug Deflector

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thought I would post this in this thread as well. Sorry if you seen this already.

Just installed the WeatherTech bug deflector on the xB. Install was smooth using only foam tape. I like it so far. Have had many of this type before.

I was keeping a eye on it today driveing to work. I was going 80+ on the freeway and it did not bend back much. The round front end on the xB helps the stiffness in the deflector. I have had some before that can bend back and rub the paont. Not a chance of that happening here. :D

Will post photos soon.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here are some photos of the WeatherTech Bug Guard on the black sand xB

Old 07-28-2004, 09:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That weathertech deflector looks pretty vertical. I bet it works great, but has anyone done a MPG test a few times to see if your MPG has dropped after the installation of the bug deflector? I read that Bug Deflectors can rob around 2 mpg, while another source said that in certain situations the deflector added MPG and aerodynamics.

Because our hoods are already so vertical, I think a well designed deflector that has a more horizontal slope may be able to deflect bugs and not rob MPG.

Curious to see what the Lund deflector looks like compared to the weathertech.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i've only filled it up once after i put it on, same mpg as before install.

drive around 80-85, no flexing from the deflector. drove in the rain and it works well. the rain (and bugs) would only hit near the top of the windshield. (of course this depends on how fast you drive.

very sturdy piece. the tape is some of the strongest around (most of the other deflectors i've seen nowadays are only held on with tape). plus the hood pinches it against the upper rad. support.
i put it in place without the tape or screws to see if i liked it, closed the hood on it and it was locked in place. i drove around for 2 days (in city driving) with it just pinched in place.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgHotLava
drive around 80-85, no flexing from the deflector. drove in the rain and it works well. the rain (and bugs) would only hit near the top of the windshield. (of course this depends on how fast you drive.
I did notice a little more wind noise near the top of the windshield. I love it so far.

As far as MPG is concerned, I don't think it is going to make much differance. Have not noticed this on any of my other cars in the past. I would be very suprised if it made a differance now.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There did seem to be more wind noise and I noticed the driver side wiper was lifting a little while in resting position. Seems to have cut the bugs down some.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member

does the Weatherguard deflector help at all with rocks/pebbles hitting the windshield?
Old 08-04-2004, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WhatsYourScion
does the Weatherguard deflector help at all with rocks/pebbles hitting the windshield?
I haven't noticed rocks hitting lately , so I guess it helps. I also drive smart. I stay back from the car ahead of me. I avoid driving behind behind contruction trucks and trailers. I think all these things help too.

Sean
Old 08-05-2004, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a shame no one makes a clear one or at least one thats not black?
Old 08-05-2004, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMO the plastic bug sheild / guard things just look like tacky add-ons or afterthoughts.

Bras are worse, they actually hold dirt/dust up against the paint and rub on it, dulling your paint instead of protecting it.

If you actually want to PROTECT your paint, go with 3M ClearBra, the rest of that stuff is garbage, people.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

guess you haven't seen the colgan bra in person, it fits like a glove, and is super soft on the back. whenever i take mine off, the part under the bra is shinier, and cleaner than the rest of the car
Old 08-05-2004, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionracerxb
guess you haven't seen the colgan bra in person, it fits like a glove, and is super soft on the back. whenever i take mine off, the part under the bra is shinier, and cleaner than the rest of the car
Nope, haven't seen that one.

Maybe they improved the basic design.

Every bra I've seen has nice soft felt on the back and straps up nice and tight. Then you drive with it for 6 months and find pollen and dust have blown up underneath it, the straps loosen themselves and allow the bra part to move around and scour the paint.

I haven't seen one yet that doesn't do this.

Maybe you haven't had yours long enough yet, or you just keep after it.

As long as you keep the straps tight as a drum and clean your car, especially under the bra, frequently, I'm sure no damage will occur, but bra's left alone WILL damage your paint eventually.

That's why I'm sold on the ClearBra product. It completely protects the paint. You can cover any area in any shape/size you want, it requires ZERO maintanence and it can be removed at any time with no damage whatsoever.

Just ask any reputable auto detailer and they will tell you exactly the same thing I did. Bra's ruin paint more often then they save it. ClearBra is the only thing they will recommend.

Ask around.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, I was a professional auto detailer for about 4 years, and there are a lot of things that i used to think were bad for your paint. I'll admit, most bra's i've seen, flap in the wind and do alot of damage. but the colgan bras are awesome. back in the day, i would have NEVER put a bra on my car. especially a new one. but this one is perfect. as for the clear bra, they look good on light colored cars, but i saw one on a black and a blue one, and it is really noticeable, and the wax builds up against the edge. I also used to think that car dusters would kill a paint job, but now, i couldn't live without mine. especially on the dark car. if i even look at it funny, it gets dirty I guess no matter what you use, in the end, it just matters how good you take care of the paint on your car. I remove my bra, and wash and wax the car every sat. so i guess it doesn't have time to build up too much dust.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:33 AM
Banned
SL Member

EDIT 09/05/04...after about two months, i took mine off. It is okay but the windnoise is abit unbearable at times. Also, it seems that the Box cant go as fast in higher speeds due to increase in windresistance More importantly, I think more rocks and bugs are hitting the windshield than before. At least I could here and see stuff hitting the windshield more often. Buy at your own risk. :D It does make a good rain gutter or direct water away from the outside water "faucet." Especially when you have a basement.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Bug Shield

I bought the weathertech and my body shop is painting it TCM for $40. They complain because if I had found a clear one they could paint the back of it and it would never appear to chip. Anyone seen a clear one?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got it painted, check them out as well as the strobes I put in my tails.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by fr130
EDIT 09/05/04...after about two months, i took mine off. . . I think more rocks and bugs are hitting the windshield than before. At least I could here and see stuff hitting the windshield more often.
Geez, I hope this doesn't hold true for all of them. UPS just delivered mine.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:34 PM
DrG
5 Year Member

Damn!

Even with the bug deflector- I received my first ding on my windshield!

DrG
Old 11-15-2004, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the deflector only makes the bugs/rocks hit higher up on the window.
but i still see it helping, i've seen many bugs/rocks come straight for me untill they hit the wind from the deflector and shoot right over my box.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:29 PM
DrG
5 Year Member

Default Ding Nab It

I bought one of those cheap windshield repair kits. I tried it on my BX windshield ding. The resin did not stay put, but it did eventually fill in the ding. When I was finished the chip was filled in and the small cracks disappeared. It felt smooth to the touch. It was not perfect but for $10 it was pretty good- that is if it stays intact over the winter. I decided to take a shot at the chip in my wife's Murano. It was quicker the second time. I suspect the gizmo to pressure the air out of the crack was not that useful. The resin ran out where the plastic tube touched the windshield. I may have put too much resin in the tube? Anyway, I just forced the resin in with the pastic sheets that came with the kit. The outcome was the same.

If it works I may have enabled my windshield to live a little longer.

DrG

Quick Reply: WeatherTech xB Stone/Bug Deflector