Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

What DON'T you like about your xB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I should address some of the suggestions because they kind of make this car stray in it's purpose.

For instance, the car is noisy because the asphalt insulation costs money and WEIGHS a lot. I can deal with noise, mpg is what sold me on this car. This goes with a lot of the other suggestions like lift rear glass, etc, but that doesn't mean you can't offer them as options. With that in mind....

-Center console is way too low and distracting when reaching for items.

-Everyone laughs at vanity mirror's size.

-Turning radius too wide. This is because it's front wheel drive, but I think some improvement could be made.

-An AWD/TURBO option would significantly boost sales. I want winter traction and more power.

-Improved fuel economy. Granted, it's due to the aerodynamics, but there IS room for improvement. Hybrid?

-Put Shifter where the ash tray is.

-Higher steering wheel.

-Panoramic moon roof like the tC would be a cool option I would have bought.

-Ditto for cruise control. I'm baffled why this wasn't an option.

-1st gear is useless. 5th gear is retarded for highway speeds. Stop designing transmissions for 0-60mph time measurement and start designing them for real world use. You will sell more cars.

-Flake paint jobs for limited release.

-I don't think a reclinable back seat would be hard or expensive to put in. A removable back seat would be even better when carrying cargo. Option?

-Make rear wiper an option. I never understood why you would want one.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

First of all, I have to say I LOVE my xB. I love the mpg, the ride, and the style.
My suggestions are not expensive, and to me are basic common sense. I DO want the car to stay relatively inexpensive. I do NOT want more power, I want fuel economy. If I wanted more power, I would be driving an Element or similar!

BUT:

*In cabin air filter. For the few cents it would cost, that should already be included
*Center Armrest. Just about EVERY car on the market has one, even a Kia.
*More interior lighting, especially in the cargo area. Man, what were they thinking?
*No factory cruise option. That one baffles me as well. I'll pay!!
*The visors should have a slide-out, this car has a LOT of glass and a high roof.
*Maybe a slightly different gearing for highway. 3000 rpm at 55 is a bit rediculous.
*The quality of the paint is REALLY rediculous for a car from this manufacturer
*A TEMP GUAGE!! Just stupid that it has an idiot light!!

On a side note:
*When I bought my armrest, I used the felt insert that was in that well to line the ash-tray. I just used spray adhesive, and it's a great place to put change now.
*I bought an auto-dim mirrror with Homelink, outdoor temp, compass, and coutesy lights.

I don't mind doing things myself to fix the car up the way I like it, but some of these things are about safety, and pretty basic. I can't imagine that the designers didn't think that a center armrest should be a given in a new car.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if anybody mentioned it but the HP!
Old 10-02-2005, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Power increase, Steering wheel controls, sunroof option, change to 5 lug.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

why you peeps gotta complain for. yo ugot a damn scion for crying out loud. pimpaass cars. so what if you dont have cruise control, so what if the cars only 108 hp. they made the trans short to compinsate for that. i gotta admit, car is a really quick thing, has good throttle response, good pickup. lastnight i took my car on a side road, lots of hairpins, lots of big curves, gotta admit, didnt go under 40 mph. felt like i was driving my hachiroku again. i swear that car can handle. i have no complaints about it. if you wanna keep complaining...you dont deserve one. sell it back, trade it for a honda. but STOP complaining. be happy
Old 10-02-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crazy_kat_matt
why you peeps gotta complain for. yo ugot a damn scion for crying out loud. pimpaass cars. so what if you dont have cruise control, so what if the cars only 108 hp. they made the trans short to compinsate for that. i gotta admit, car is a really quick thing, has good throttle response, good pickup. lastnight i took my car on a side road, lots of hairpins, lots of big curves, gotta admit, didnt go under 40 mph. felt like i was driving my hachiroku again. i swear that car can handle. i have no complaints about it. if you wanna keep complaining...you dont deserve one. sell it back, trade it for a honda. but STOP complaining. be happy
I don't think anyone is really complaining. The question was what don't you like and why. I don't see anyone running out and trading it in for something else. I think that if you were asked the same question about any other car people would find something that they don't like or would change. Hopefully from these comments there will be a few minor changes made that will make the xB more desireable. Then again do we want every Tom, Dick, & Harry driving one? Lighten up Frances!
Old 10-02-2005, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgboggs

*I bought an auto-dim mirrror with Homelink, outdoor temp, compass, and coutesy lights.

I don't mind doing things myself to fix the car up the way I like it, but some of these things are about safety, and pretty basic. I can't imagine that the designers didn't think that a center armrest should be a given in a new car.
How'd you put in the Auto Dimmin mirror? Would you care to do a write up on how you did it?
Old 10-02-2005, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, that is pretty bold... saying it is even close to like driving an AE86. FWD and RWD are two totally different animals...
Old 10-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Banned
KAD
Scikotics
SL Member

I want an option for aftermarket headlights, that are backed by Toyota and Scion, like they have the TYC tails.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Romanova

Wow, that is pretty bold... saying it is even close to like driving an AE86. FWD and RWD are two totally different animals...
I DIDNT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT BEING LIKE A AE86! i said i FELT like i was driving my old car, just brought back memories, i know the difference between FWD and RWD rick. nevermind already im sorry i even posted a response, even though thats what this topic is SUPPOSED to be fore. forget it
Old 10-03-2005, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

people looking me when im driving
Old 10-03-2005, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaimecosio

Old 10-03-2005, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The fact that I ordered it 2 weeks ago and I still have to wait another 2 to 3 weeksbefore I get mine.

I got cruise control...yay!

Matt Moore
Old 10-04-2005, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Needs: one more power outlet, integrated roof rack, better quality plastic in interior, better interior light, awd option (I live in snowy Buffalo), HU with external aux input (I've replaced my factory HU with one that lets me plug in my ipod).
Old 10-05-2005, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Only thing I would like is better paint like most people say and also I find my dash always being dusty.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

arm rests, cruise control, all the windows tinted, and more HORSEPOWER would be nice to have
Old 10-06-2005, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by OneBadBox
For those of you that think the turning radius is too wide, What the heck were you driving before?
this i must agree with....the auto xB i test drove (i'm still waiting for mine to be delivered) turned tighter than anything i've ever driven before. Just from test driving the car however, i *would* make the steering wheel telescopic. Seems to far away for my taste.

Question for all the people who are complaining about the paint.....what years are your xB's...i just ordered an 06 and i'm really hoping i dont have paint issues....
Old 10-08-2005, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bellnier
Needs: one more power outlet, integrated roof rack, better quality plastic in interior, better interior light, awd option (I live in snowy Buffalo), HU with external aux input (I've replaced my factory HU with one that lets me plug in my ipod).
The xB isn't a SUV!!
Old 10-09-2005, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaimecosio
It says hate not like
Seriously though. The only things I hate is the fact we had to pay for a wiper and a hole in our rear hatch that we didn't want and the lack of interesting paint colors. Why do they have to have so many drab boring colors (BCP, Lava and Yellow excluded)

Oh and why didn't they chrome plate the Scion and xB emblems? That's 'bout it.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

BOP is cool too!!!

Quick Reply: What DON'T you like about your xB?