Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

What kind of springs is everyone running?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LeeD
Originally Posted by LeeD
Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive
Yeah, it doesn't seem like there is too much of a difference in springs rates.

Teins are rated at 150 lb/in front, 180 lb/in rear
Tien H, or S, or both?

I'm also in the market for springs, but don't want a softer ride. I want the same stiffness, if not stiffer.

For those that don't know, the stiffer the string rates are in the rear, the more oversteer you'll get and a more neutral handling car since these cars are set up for heavy understeer.

I've just installed my rear swaybar, and I still could use more oversteer. I'm contimplating installing the rear strut tower along with something along the lines of those Teins. The front to rear ratio and the higher weight rear is attractive to me. Of the numbers given so far, those rears are the heaviest. Although the fr/rr ratio might not be as extreme as the Tanabe's, I don't want too soft for the front either.
Hmmm....

I just read the following regarding Tien S-Techs,
ikonXone : Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:23 pm Post subject: Re: Installed Springs: Ride Quality Now? Opinions Wanted:
" tein s-tech: pros- ride smooth, cons- too soft and they bottom out a lot on me "
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33252

I'm begining to think that Tein S-tech is not NOT the way to go for me, and I'd want something like 170 lbs/front 200lbs/rear.... or heavier!
Just learned from Goldline that their springs for the xA are,
178lb/front 187lb/rear

tempting.. Suprised to hear that people bottom out with these. Front to rear ratio isn't exactly what I'd like though. Only 10lb difference.

I remember reading somewhere what the stock spring rates where. Can't seem to find it now. Search feature here isn't so good.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

LeeD, did you look into Tein H-Tech?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

LeeD, are you looking for a higher spring rate in the rear? What are your desired front and rear rates approximately?

Rishie

RSR is:

1.8" front
1.6" Rear
157lb front
161 lb rear
Old 11-16-2004, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

HTECH SKL48-BUB00
-1.1" Front
-1.1" Rear
129lb front
179lb rear

STECH SKL48-AUB00
-1.7" front
-1.7" rear
145lb front
179lb rear
Old 11-16-2004, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Espelir ASD Springs:

1.6" Front
1.7" Rear

xB Spring rates are, xA are not posted on my spec sheet.

180lb front
157lb rear

Rishie
Old 11-16-2004, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

From my experience with suspension systems and coilover setups I would honestly have to say that the Espelir looks like the proper F/R ratio, with it having the highest front spring rate of the alotment.

Keep in mind these specs don't indicate whether they are linear or progressive or both.

I will check the espelirs tomorrow and take some pics for you guys to show what they are.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ideally, I wish I had something similar like what me and a buddy raced in the Open Track Challenge Race (www.OpenTrackChallenge.com), when we raced his 300ZX TwinTurbo over 7days/7tracks. Before the event, we installed some Ground Control Coil Over shocks with a dual spring setup. These were very nice, and Ground Control would work very closely with you to help you get the right setup. At the time, we only knew of 1 other guy in the nation that had these, and that car was mostly a show cars, so basically we were on our own in trying to find the best setup for the Z. We ballparked, with their help, what would be good for the car. After some track testing before the event, I found that when driving the car, it was to soft, and would make the car sway too much on S-like turns. Specifically, the S turns on the bottom right corner of Buttonwillow Raceway, if any of you know what I'm talking about. Anyways, he was suprised to hear this because the spring rates in the car were already very heavy. We up'd the rates another ~200lbs( I think.. it was like 3 years ago) front and rear. It endend up being great after that.

Anyways, my point to all this was, Ground Control was very helpful, and had a huge selection of springs for us to try out. It's tough to pick a spring rate the first time and it works great for you. The convenience of being able to change that out per your needs and as the car setup changes is very nice. Also, the convenience of having adjustable height per corner was pricesless.. An example of that was when we were testing the car out another time before OTC at Laguna Seca, and found a corner rubbing. We'd fix it on the spot by slightly raising that corner. Can't do stuff like that otherwise. Plus we were able to slam it lower, yet prevent it from bottoming out, than any other Z at the time.

Anyways, I'm just trying to ball park what I might need. Race tires will really make the xA lean even more like crazy, and I think they alone would demand another 100lbs on the springs, or more. I've already been pricing out new 16" SSR wheels with Hoosiers/Kuhmos... We've got another 2 day track event at the end of January that I'm trying to get ready for.. ; )

In the end, I might just have to just suck it up and get a coil over setup. We'll see. Depends on budget.

If you haven't already figured it out, I'm a total track driving hor. Damb this f'n Scion! It wasn't supposed to handle this good or do this good at the track!! This was supposed to just be a daily driver car so I can put more go-fast parts on the Z! Not on the Scion! Damb it!
Old 11-16-2004, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well LeeD let me know how much you are willing to spend on coilovers. There are both twin tube and monotube setups. I have a xA that has been run at Button with Zeal coils and seriously raised the brow of our BFG sponsors for that vehicle. They were most impressed.

Let's discuss some budgetting and I'll give you some baseline recs. You can always go back to the GC setup and shocks/struts, just don't know if you'll get the caliber of damper you would require.

Rishie
Old 11-16-2004, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i've installed 4 different kind of springs in scions and the only time i needed a spring compressor is when i put a stock set back in. i didnt even need em for trds which are long ___ springs. hmm. maybe i'm just on crack.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

try B+G suspension, they sponsored me. their springs are a 2" drop front and back and the drop looks great! I like it and the ride/handling is nice, way less bodyroll and a much better ride then stock.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member

Can someone help me choose the best springs on this site... they have goood prices but i cant decide which would be the best company.. thanks

http://autoaccessorystore.com/home.a...r%20/%20Spring
Old 11-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Banned
SL Member

I'm running Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC type II coilovers.. awesome.. the struts are a bit too weak for my taste, but it makes for an awesome streetable car.

highly recommended! and a snap to install