Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

What is the Official Classification of the xB?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

It dates back to 1935. Here is the link
http://wikicars.org/en/Chevrolet_Suburban
Old 04-08-2008, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OldYeller
Not sure about trademarks---but the Chevy Suburban has been around at least since the mid 40's..............
Actually, since the 30s, but they never registered the trademark, like I said. Over the interceding decades, lots of non-GM cars were called 'Suburban'-- Plymouth and International, off the top of my head, did so.

That's way more trivia than anyone needs to know about obscure station wagons.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:55 PM

When I had my auto-glass replaced, they classified it as a "Mini SUV."
Old 04-08-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Jeff is correct about the xB's here in TN getting pulled over for tint. I myself got pulled over a few months ago by a State Trooper for speeding on the interstate. He also asked me about my illegal tint which is 20% all the way around. But I played dumb and told him it was legal, or at least thats what I was told. He then told me as of January 1st that any automobile could not have darker than 35% on any glass. He let me off for the tint (wish he did the same for the speeding ticket too, but...). Not so long ago two of our locals got pulled over for TINT ONLY, no speeding, lights out, nothing, just tint. And they were told the same thing except their officers said, commercial vehicles could still have the windows past the B piller darker. Thing is both of these guys were pulled over in the same town. This town has been known in the past, for stopping you for anything that is a road rule!!!!! I use to drive through this town twice a day to get to work, but after this crap, I have found another way!!

Oh, and as far as the classification, when I went to get tested last month, they didn't even know what to class it as, so they came in the waiting room and asked me. They were like "is this a car or a truck?" I told them it was a micro van, they put OTHER on my test results!!!

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to let you all know, this IS really happening here.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

^ Wow, that's messed up. Has anyone contacted the state office and bring this concern up?

I also thought that the stock glass on the xB was closer to 35%. Has anyone actually gotten the glass metered?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

my insurance classifies it as a Wagon.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is ridiculous. I don't see how anything that weighs less than a ton and a half could be considered a minivan OR an SUV. At what point do we disregard the shape and consider the size?

I have a friend who says a car wash tried to charge him the extra $5 for the "SUV cost".... meanwhile, at a detail place, I got a DISCOUNT because the car's so small!

This is one of the reasons I love driving an xB, btw...when people ask you the question "What IS it?" it generates a three-thread page trying to answer that question. I imagine they aren't having this problem with the new one.

Illinois says it's a five-door wagon, btw.

How on earth is it cheaper to drive a "truck?" Doesn't your insurance know they'll be paying for the people you mutilate if you hit their car?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

3 pages now..wow

I'm impressed...
Old 04-10-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Evidentually, each state does it own thing. California sure got it wrong, with the "Utility" (UT) body type. But it does put us in with a expensive group:
CA. DMV definition of UT: "All vehicles of the "Jeep" type such as *****'s, Bronco, Blazer, Scout, Land Rover. Doesn't really fit us.
However the definition for CA of Station Wagon is:
A station wagon , as defined in VC 585, is a dual purpose vehicle designed for transportation of persons in such a mannter that the seats may be removed or folder out of the way for the purpose of increasing the vehicle's property carrying space. A hatchback-type vehicle with a rear seat that folds down or is removable and a door in the rear that provides direct access to the vehicle's interior cargo-carrying area when the seat is folded down or removed may be considered a station wagon.
CA DMV missed the boat on this one. My insurance considers it a station wagon.

I like the "kitchen appliance" body type best. Great comment.