Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

what percentage window tint is on yours?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default what percentage window tint is on yours?

last month i bought it and window tint came with it. i would like to know what percentage it is. by any chance do you guys know?
Old 11-25-2006, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know, i work at a window tint shop, and I never though to light meter my windows before I had them tint everything over. My back windows read 4% after I put 15% film over the factory privacy glass, my guess is that factory was around 20%-25%. My fronts are 30%, a little to light for my taste, but the way I drive, I dont need another reason to get pulled over. Also, make sure you check your local laws about window tint BEFORE you have any vehicle EVER tinted.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member

5% all around
Old 11-25-2006, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

3 layers of five percent all around
Old 11-25-2006, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from factory, it's around 27% which is the limit in some states. Your front glass is only supposed to be around that. Your backs could go darker if the tint person will do it. And some states don't allow tint stripes for the front windshield.

My xB is 27% for all the back windows as I havent' gotten the fronts done yet. My windshield *done in one of those staes that prefers not having them...I'm tagged to another state lol* is at 20%
Old 11-25-2006, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

why don't they let us tint the windshield? I want to get mine(when I get it replaced) tinted with one of the colors that would cut down the sunlight and the idiots running brights, yellow usually cuts down on the blinding light from what I've seen
Old 11-25-2006, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, Mississippi is one of those states where things just don't go normal sometimes. I guess it's a local thing. See, my box is tagged to South Carolina where there's not even an inspection law. You can pretty much get away with anything. It all depends on your state. I'm not sure on Arkansas' laws but your tint guy should have an idea.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

well he does, but he'll tint it to 5% probably for me, and we don't have inspections here either
Old 11-25-2006, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 5% over the 2 front windows and covered the privacy glass with 15% so its pretty even all the way around.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lil_blue_star
Well, Mississippi is one of those states where things just don't go normal sometimes. I guess it's a local thing. See, my box is tagged to South Carolina where there's not even an inspection law. You can pretty much get away with anything. It all depends on your state. I'm not sure on Arkansas' laws but your tint guy should have an idea.
you're in Mississippi? LOL! Wait until you get that first ticket, and no they don't care where your car is tagged, "out of state" plate means nothing, which is the way the law (in order to be legally binding) is supposed to be,

In Mississippi, if you get pulled over for illegal tint - and yes they pop out of staters too - the MANDATORY MINIMUM fine is $1000. It is non-negotiable and the judge has no power to adjust the penalty. And that's the just for the fist offense. Since July of 2006, the state has basically become fed up with people breaking the tint laws and now they are breaking everyones butt over it. If you do try to get in state tags - the inspector will not only refuse to certify you - and still charge you for the inspection, they will also notify the local state police of your vehicle.

AS far as tinted windshields - that is not legal in ANY state. It is a violation of FEDERAL law, not just state. If looking out the front windshield is such a pain on the eyes... there's this new invention, they're calling them "sunglasses". The "well, it cuts heat" and the "it filters more UV and protects the dash" reasons are both false. A windshield already filters out all the UV with the layer of plastic in it and a light colored layer will do nothing for blocking heat on a large windshield. --and of course it's not legal - because - it's not safe! You don't wear sunglasses at night (I hope), you shouldn't have reduced forward vision with tint either[/u]
Old 11-26-2006, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

well the reason I want it more then any other is for the idiots that run their brights and won't shut them off, and I'm not talking a black tint, I know with yellow safety glasses it cuts out stuff that will damage your eyes on certain light levels, now it won't cut out staring into the sun or into the blue of a welder but it will keep the light from someone welding when your not watching, from damaging your eyes, if you put a very light tint over the windshield, I'm not sure what the lowest is or highest I don't know tint confuses me, I'd think 5% should be the lightest tint personally
Old 11-26-2006, 10:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

20% all around. however, i wish it were darker in the back.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have 5% over privacy glass and front windows and 35% full windshield
Here is a pic with the full windshield