5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default Re: knock sensor

Originally Posted by SciFly
Originally Posted by gslippy
Originally Posted by jethro b
Originally Posted by gslippy
The 1.5L engine is equipped with a knock sensor, whose function is to retard the ignition timing when it detects knock as an acoustic signal. Knock is the sound of the igniting gas charge trying to push the piston backwards in the cylinder, and will occur under the wrong combination of load, throttle opening, and fuel octane.

High octane gas (93) actually burns more slowly than low octane gas (87), and so the power delivery to the piston is more smooth, reducing the tendency to knock under similar load conditions.

The knock sensor is designed to eliminate the knock altogether regardless of the fuel used. This is a great mass-market idea, and eliminates lots of customer complaints to their dealers. Many cars are fitted with knock sensors. Only those that are so fitted will benefit from higher octane gas (unless you can manually advance the ignition timing), and the 1.5L is one of them.

Since the 1.5L is fitted with a knock sensor, I'd be very surprised if anyone has ever heard one ping for more than a second or two.

High octane gas should provide MORE power because it delivers the power over a broader angle of shaft rotation than does low octane gas. You could experiment with the higher octane stuff and see if it makes any difference in power or economy. With the relative price difference between the fuel grades fairly small now, I'd suggest trying it out.
Do you know how to read??? ANY THING OVER 87 OCTAIN IS A WAIST! There is that plain enough. What do you think we have??? A Big Block Chevy motor running 11 to 1 compression and make 500 plus horse power It's a tiny 1.5 4 cyl. making a whole 108 hp. the only thing that will really help it make some additional hp is a turbo or blower. Even then it may only need mid-grade fuel. Got it now
Too bad you and some others see fit to resort to insults in a forum where we are just trying to be helpful to one another.

You'll note that I never said that you'd realize any great gains from running higher octane fuel. You'll also note that I never said you NEED anything better than 87 octane. However, you WILL realize more power from an engine fitted with a knock sensor AND running higher octane fuel than one without those things.

The shop manual states that "During Fail-Safe mode, the ignition timing is retarded to maximum retardation". Perhaps you've never set the ignition timing on an engine, or understand how to actually improve power in an engine, but the purpose of the knock sensor is to maximize power in the engine with the fuel it is given, without permitting it to knock. Knock is extremely destructive to an engine.

Toyota didn't fit these engines with knock sensors just for fun. It's there so that you can get every bit of power the engine has to offer without destroying itself. Many manufacturers list their horsepower based upon using premium fuel. Such engines have knock sensors. Toyota has chosen to rate this engine at 108 HP on 87 octane. This engine with a faulty knock sensor will still develop 108 HP on 87 octane, and nothing more with 93 octane. But this engine should develop more power (how much, I don't know, but maybe 5 HP), if running on higher octane gas with a functioning knock sensor. If Toyota just wanted this engine to never knock, they could have retarded the basic timing curve to a very conservative setting, but instead they wanted it to develop some usable power for this application without the need for premium fuel all the time.

Of course this isn't a big-block with 11:1 compression. I'm just explaining the fundamentals of engine performance as it relates to fuel octane and knock sensors. Whether you want to spend the extra 20 cents on premium gas for a few extra HP is up to you. Such fuel may also get you better fuel economy because the power output is up for a given fuel delivery rate. Again, the tradeoff is up to you.

As I said in my prior post, I'd be surprised if any 1.5L has knocked on any octane fuel, because of the knock sensor. The only time you prevent knocking with higher octane gas is on a vehicle NOT fitted with a knock sensor, and whose ignition timing is overly advanced for 87 octane. So if you prefer to limit the engine to 108 HP on 87 octane and save your money, that's your choice.

As McBain said above, the knock sensor lets the engine run at peak efficiency just under the knock threshold. Peak efficiency means peak HP for the given load, because you're wasting less energy and gaining maximum power, which is the definition of efficiency.

Have any of you run this engine on a dynamometer to prove that high octane fuel is worthless in this engine?
gslippy is entirely correct. Add in:

-Ever notice how your car runs sweeter in cool, wet air? Or in the rain? The excess of moisture in the intake air has a modifying effect on the speed of the combustion process. This is quite noticable, and has been noted and exploited by aftermarket gadget makers since the dawn of automotive history.

The molecules of water vapor seem to act like spacers, having high heat adsorbtion, perhaps.. and so, slow down the progression of the flame front by some large number of microseconds. Result: A better push on the piston crown over larger number of crank rotation degrees, as gslippy noted.

Also in the formula: compression ratio vastly affects speed of the combustion. More on that later if interest is there.
WOW really!
Old 04-28-2005, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by professor-xb
Originally Posted by bryanhoss
I already give to charity. What's your next idea?
Spend all you want on gas. I don't really care Just stop telling other people that there is a benefit to burning premium when there really isn't. Remember if people hear enough BULL$HIT they start to believe it. I can't help that 20 percent of the people in the poll are flushing money down the drain and making the oil companies richer. Some have more money than they know what to do with.
UMM... i would much rather throw away my money by putting premium in my tank than ... buying ... owning ... or listening to a gehetto sound system like yours ... haha , OMG STOP... and BTW if you werent working your "BAD TO THE BONE" audio system so hard , you may get better mpg. peace

p.s. i bet jethro b has a grounding kit installed... AND OMG
A "electric supercharger" hahahahah
So we had to resort to attacking other people rides huh. Why didn't you mention all the other mods I have done by myself with no help from anyone. I could stoop to your level but chose not to. Peace
Old 04-28-2005, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member

I haven't said a single word about a higher octane being a benefit. Again, the original question was will 93 octane hurt my engine and what octane does everybody else use?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I started out with 93 when I first bought my box (1/05). But switched to 87 a few weeks ago. I've noticed no difference in power, but I have noticed an improvement of 1-2 MPG by going to 87. I now get 34-35 MPG in mixed driving.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 04-28-2005, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by professor-xb

UMM... i would much rather throw away my money by putting premium in my tank than ... buying ... owning ... or listening to a gehetto sound system like yours ... haha , OMG STOP... and BTW if you werent working your "BAD TO THE BONE" audio system so hard , you may get better mpg. peace

p.s. i bet jethro b has a grounding kit installed... AND OMG
A "electric supercharger" hahahahah
There is no need to make fun of anyone...if you dont like what he has then just dont comment on it....Not needed...
Old 04-28-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bryanhoss: To answer your original question, no, Premium gas will not hurt your engine. You can use either with no ill effects. Whether Premium has any benefit to you just depends on the way you drive and how your vehicle is used, per the above info I posted from Shell Oil. IMHO, regardless of what the manual for the xB says, there is benefit in running higher octane -- ie: my RAV4 manual also says you can run 87 in it just fine, but then all of the specs for mileage and power list that they were derived using 91 octane. Why would they do that? Because what's needed and what's best are often different. Sometimes you have to read between the lines. Use whichever works best for you.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fossil fuel.........................lol 93 oct
Old 04-29-2005, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chikubi
I would suggest before calling BULL$HIT on people to do a little research so you know what you're talking about -- to quote Shell Canada's website (http://www.shell.ca/code/motoring/tips/gasoline.html):

"Engines in vehicles built for sale in North America are designed to a specified octane requirement to make sure they don't knock or ping (engine knocking reduces the amount of power it can deliver to turn the wheels). Once that octane level has been met, in normal instances your car will not experience more power or better mileage if you use a higher octane fuel.

In other words, if your Canadian vehicle owner's manual specifies an octane rating of 87, running on gasoline with an octane rating of 89 or 91 or more will normally not make a difference.

However, there are some exceptions to this, and it must be noted that if the owner’s manual specifies using gasoline with an octane rating of 89 or 91, then that’s what you should use because that’s what the engine is designed and tuned for.

One - and a very important - exception is that when a vehicle gets older, the normal build-up of fuel- and lubricant-related deposits in the engine can increase the fuel octane number a car requires to prevent engine knock. For this reason, if a car more than a couple of years old experiences engine knocking, the problem may be solved simply by moving to the gasoline with the next-higher anti-knock index.

You will also benefit from a higher octane rating if:

the engine is knocking on the gasoline you are using, or

you have knock sensor ignition that can take advantage of higher octane values at times of peak demand, or

high summer temperatures, mountain driving, pulling heavy loads (including loaded roof racks) has temporarily increased your engine’s anti-knock index requirements.

While fuel with a higher octane rating cannot of itself deliver more power, in the above circumstances it can give an engine a greater ability to resist knocking, thereby helping it to deliver the full measure of power it is designed and tuned to provide.

In these cases, where drivers require their vehicles to continue providing peak performance despite challenging driving conditions, for improved responsiveness we recommend using a mid-grade fuel like Shell Silver (octane rating 89) or a premium fuel like Shell Optimax Gold (octane rating 91) gasolines.

One other exception is found in high-performance vehicles. The use of more complex computer algorithms in their engine control systems to control spark timing using one or more knock sensors, enables better performance on higher-octane fuel. Owner’s Manuals for most of these vehicles will specify use of 91 octane fuel."

So while you're right that the octane rating in and of itself in normal circumstances won't provide an improvement when using higher octane gas in a vehicle, there are a number of exceptions where there is an improvement (gslippy's knock sensor equipped engines example being one). Laugh all you want, but you're wrong, and I can tell you flat out that here in PA where we got long, steep ___ hills, there most definitely is a noticeable difference between 87 and 93 oct when climbing them. You can argue all you want, but you're not gonna one-up a company that makes gasoline.
Are you sure you couldn't come up with a few more paragraphs of info? No matter what techno bull anyone comes up with 87 octain is all these little econo boxes will ever need so quit trying to convince the other 80% into thinking they will see any seat of the pants performance out of higher octain fuel.
This topic is just going round and round and some people just don't get it and that is fine. Just keep spending $$$'s on fuel you don't need. The oil companies don't care and neither do I anymore. See if I try to help anymore! And to those 20 % "Bless Your Hearts" Your Special! especially professor_xb
That "techno bull" is what makes your car run. Maybe Shell and Toyota are wasting their money on engineers.

Everyone here has said high octane is optional, and that the cost/benefits are debatable.

It looks like you're the one choosing not to "get it" on this subject, and the more you argue against scientific facts the sillier this discussion becomes.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use 76 89 octane and occasionally 91 or higher
Old 04-29-2005, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Never trust scientific facts written by the company trying to sell the product the scientific facts are about.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chikubi
...my RAV4 manual also says you can run 87 in it just fine, but then all of the specs for mileage and power list that they were derived using 91 octane. Why would they do that? Because what's needed and what's best are often different. Sometimes you have to read between the lines.....
Let me guess that was 91 research octane wasn't it?

Look something like this
OCTANE RATING
Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane
Number 91) or higher.
That's not the same octane number at the pumps, you know?
Old 04-29-2005, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member

I've always used 87 in my car and just don't see the point of anything higher. I just can't see Toyota having the knock sensor on our cars for more than just a precaution. Then again no one here has solid proof of any argument. What difference does it make anyway what gas someone else is using in THEIR car? Why do people in here care so much about what kind of gas other people use in THEIR OWN cars. If it's not doing any damage, let them be.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Mistertwo
I've always used 87 in my car and just don't see the point of anything higher. I just can't see Toyota having the knock sensor on our cars for more than just a precaution. Then again no one here has solid proof of any argument. What difference does it make anyway what gas someone else is using in THEIR car? Why do people in here care so much about what kind of gas other people use in THEIR OWN cars. If it's not doing any damage, let them be.
Because they need to LEARN, damnit! Hahaha. Increased consumption of highly refined fuels (higher octane) increase the aggregate demand for gas of the economy, resultingly increasing the strain on domestic refineries, which in turn raises the price. Albeit marginally. . .
Old 04-29-2005, 08:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

But seriously, Motortrend did a test a LONG LONG time ago (like 1999) comparing MPG and power when using octanes higher than the manufacturer spec. None of the cars benefited from the higher octane fuels, and many lost hp and Mpg
Old 04-29-2005, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by joshtravis
Never trust scientific facts written by the company trying to sell the product the scientific facts are about.
This is the best advice I have heard all day!
Old 04-29-2005, 01:31 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bryanhoss
I already give to charity. What's your next idea?
Give it to me.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about 85 and 91.
Utah has 85. And some people use 91.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by erichlf
What about 85 and 91.
Utah has 85. And some people use 91.
You'd probably be OK with 85 (at least no pinging), but you'd probably have a little less power than the 108 HP that Scion advertises.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by joshtravis
Clever, but not entirely true. We have to trust some things we hear; it's just a matter of what we choose to believe.

My company sells a technical product and we are obliged to stand by the data we publish for it. Both the market and independent test labs say so.

I think what you mean is not whether the actual science is questionable, but rather the claims made about its effects, such as "this gas will give your car more power". That claim has been made for years with a very shaky foundation. Only certain conditions apply to make such a claim possible.

Quick Reply: What type of fuel do you use?