Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

What type of fuel do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Darrel, I don't know if by "premium fuel" and "regular fuel" you are referring to the different octane ratings or to the differentiation between "Top Tier" and the others, do to the lack of rigor, but if the reference is to Top Tier, that rating is one pushed by the auto manufacturers, not the refiners/fuel sellers. http://www.toptiergas.com/

Toyota and a few other manufacturers found that many gasolines had the proper additives and met federal minimum standards as to amount, but that the federal minimum amount was not enough in some of their engines. The auto manufacturers, not the refiners, established the Top Tier requirements and in turn recommended only the fuels that met those standards.

Many "independent" brand or lower grade brands get random leftover fills from Top Tier brand trucks in a random mix, but also often have the much lower additive fuels that just meet the federal minimums delivered and mixed in the same tanks. There is not guarantee that what one gets from those stations is bad, but there is also no guarantee that it is good.

Most engines in most uses may not care - some do.

If you have good luck with the cheap brands, great! Just be aware that actual testing by the auto manufactures have shown that for some engines in some types of use, the Top Tier fuels prevent some long term problems by keeping the combustion chambers (and especially valves) cleaner.

P.S. What looks like a single large tank on a tanker truck is often divided internally into several different tanks with quite different fuel mixes in them...
Old 04-12-2010, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

OMG FROM THE BOOK

Dimensions and weights
Overall length mm (in.):
3945 (155.3)
Overall width mm (in.):
1690 (66.5)
Overall height mm (in.):
1640 (64.6)
Wheelbase mm (in.):
2500 (98.4)
Front tread mm (in.):
1455 (57.3)
Rear tread mm (in.):
1430 (56.3)
Vehicle capacity weight
(occupants+cargo)
kg(lb.):
375 (825)
Engine
Model:
1NZ–FE
Type:
4 cylinder in line, 4 cycle, gasoline
Bore and stroke, mm (in.):
75.0  84.7 (2.95  3.33)
Displacement, cm3 (cu. in.):
1497 (91.3)
Fuel
Fuel type:
Unleaded gasoline, Octane Rating 87 (Research
Octane Number 91) or higher
Fuel tank capacity, L (gal., Imp. gal.):
45 (11.9, 9.9)

Old 04-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dave, I don't think that anyone disagrees that our cars are designed to run on the "regular" unleaded as opposed to the "premium" unleaded gasoline, 87 octane is all they should need unless they are modified in such a way that they require a higher octane rating to keep from pinging.

Thing is, "Top Tier" had nothing, zip, zero, nada, to do with the octane rating of a gasoline, but only with the performance of the detergents in it.

Toyota recommends 87 octane, high detergent gasoline for best engine life and performance in our Scions (unless you are Forced Induction or something).
Old 04-13-2010, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I run race gas for the soul purpose that my exhaust smells like bubble gum...

yes, best $15 for 4 gallons that Ive ever spent...
Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Dave, I don't think that anyone disagrees that our cars are designed to run on the "regular" unleaded as opposed to the "premium" unleaded gasoline, 87 octane is all they should need unless they are modified in such a way that they require a higher octane rating to keep from pinging.

Thing is, "Top Tier" had nothing, zip, zero, nada, to do with the octane rating of a gasoline, but only with the performance of the detergents in it.

Toyota recommends 87 octane, high detergent gasoline for best engine life and performance in our Scions (unless you are Forced Induction or something).

LOL you know me , i had to ..... this whole thread gave me a good giggle ....
Old 04-13-2010, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tomas, The statement you make below is simply not true! A given tanker loads a "brand", meaning USA, Beacon, 76 etc... and takes the entire load to that brand's station and drops it. While it is true there are different GRADES of that gas in the truck, it is ALL delivered to that brand's station(s). It is illegal to deliver a given brand to another brand station.

"Many "independent" brand or lower grade brands get random leftover fills from Top Tier brand trucks in a random mix, but also often have the much lower additive fuels that just meet the federal minimums delivered and mixed in the same tanks. There is not guarantee that what one gets from those stations is bad, but there is also no guarantee that it is good."

The next quote below is also misleading. There are different compartments in a given tanker - usually 4 - that house the different grades of gas, this is for obvious reason. The additive packages are injected during the loading process at the "rack", along with the base gas, into the tanker's compartments according to the amounts and type of grades needed at a station.

"P.S. What looks like a single large tank on a tanker truck is often divided internally into several different tanks with quite different fuel mixes in them..."
Old 04-20-2010, 06:33 AM
SL Member

regular, costs $25 to fill up in south jersey where I live
Old 04-20-2010, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use fossil fuel
Old 04-27-2010, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

this debate could go on for 5 more years....
Old 04-27-2010, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use e85 was no option for it
Old 04-27-2010, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile What gas you use is...

Originally Posted by Sciond
this debate could go on for 5 more years....
The type of gas you use is unique only to the person driving the car. Everyone has a different driving style, terrain, area in which they drive, driving habits, etc. While it's nice to see - and maybe experiment with different fuel types and addons - what you put in your particular is always up to you.

My comments about how the fuel is transported and where it is taken and how it is blended with the additive packages is based on true fact. Anything else is your choice and personal experience. Me? I choose to use Chevron or Texaco regular grade in my '91 honda, '93 Chevy Z71, and '02 Acura MDX (although we run premium in the MDX when it is priced good). I dump a bottle of Techron into my Honda every 5 or 6 fillups just to keep the injector cleaned up a little more - again, this is MY personal way of doing things.

Thanks for all the threads...and now let's move on down the "road"
Old 04-28-2010, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

7-11 GAS FTW!