What was your biggest waste mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: biggest waste mod

Originally Posted by SilyOtter
.. i would have to admit that the biggest wast of $$$$ mod was my AEM cold air intake. this isnt the dealer option one but it comes right off the throttle boddy and a bend with a cone filter.. i know the dyno doesnt lie. but i didnt feel any gain. only thing thats cool is that it makes a cool sound at idle but not worth the cash
Really? I love my AEM short cai. It's MUCH better than the crappy one that the dealers offer, and even better than some others IMO. I notice more torque in 2nd and 3rd gears. Do you have an AT or MT?

My biggest waste would probably be some stickers I bought to cover up the warning stickers on the visors. I got those ones off of Ebay that have the "This Scion is equipped with a vvt-i engine and females shouldn't wear restrictive clothing, i.e. bras, while in use". The sticker turned out to be smaller than quoted, and didn't adhere very well. So I removed the warning sticker using Goof-Off and then put the sticker on, and it just never looked good.

I've ended up putting in a lcd monitor in the visor and having it re-covered to match my headliner.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I wasted a lot on various LEDs mostly, some will eventually get used, some were destined for the trash from the start...

The horn is high on my list of wants. I get irritated with the horn when I have to use it. I want something that will make people's heads snap to attention...
Old 01-27-2005, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought a $30 air freshener once. It only lasted a week. What a waste!

-THE DON
Old 01-27-2005, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member

I'm surprised I haven't seen any posts about the rear cargo cover. All the posts I have read about it state that it is a piece of garbage and not worth the money.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i got my box. this was the first one i modded trying to order via ebay, i usually order from a local shop here. anyway now i know what "overlay" is. it was only $10 sticker. but that is about it. i'm very picky of what i do.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_X_Trodinaire
under car LED

i havent put them on! what a waste of a free Kit

Are you kidding? My Varad ULX leds are my best mods!!! Install them!!
Old 01-27-2005, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I bought the cargo cover for like $35 bucks from Cali and I am pleased with it. It serves its purpose (to hide what's in my hatch area - mainly my sub). I think people complain about the price of it more than anything. The only other thing I can think of is that people don't like that it's very flimsy, like a tarp almost. I guess it would be better if it were a hard top, but then you couldn't store it easily. I recommend it.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pdrizzle
I bought the cargo cover for like $35 bucks from Cali and I am pleased with it. It serves its purpose (to hide what's in my hatch area - mainly my sub). I think people complain about the price of it more than anything. The only other thing I can think of is that people don't like that it's very flimsy, like a tarp almost. I guess it would be better if it were a hard top, but then you couldn't store it easily. I recommend it.
I agree. It covers your cargo, so it does its job. If it were hard, it would muffle the rear speakers. I don't mind the cover, I just don't like how it sags. I think it could have been engineered better, like how it's mounted...
Old 01-27-2005, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah, I just didn't think of the few dealer adds that i got as "mods". The cargo cover does what its supposed to, just poorly...
Old 01-27-2005, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

my biggest wastes have been , cf overlays , cheap crap , well that and every mod i've gotten so far. wastes of money , i shouldda just got air bags off the bat. oh well. later this year i guess
Old 01-27-2005, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I actually like my rear cargo cover. Its cool when you need to take the dogs to the vet or transport some stuff.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Yeah, I just didn't think of the few dealer adds that i got as "mods". The cargo cover does what its supposed to, just poorly...
I agree it does it job, I was hoping for a more rigid look. Nice thing is easily removed when not needed. I do like the cargo liner. I often have to transfer tires in the back and this item will save the back.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sol
I actually like my rear cargo cover. Its cool when you need to take the dogs to the vet or transport some stuff.
I think you mean cargo liner not cover. the cover is the little shelf type vinyl that hides stuff from view. the liner protects the back attached over the rear seats
Old 01-30-2005, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by RacerxB
Originally Posted by Sol
I think you mean cargo liner not cover. the cover is the little shelf type vinyl that hides stuff from view. the liner protects the back attached over the rear seats
You are correct.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nothing big, but I needed to buy an inteerior light, the kind you plug into the cig. lighter because the overhead video monitor lights get covered by the monitor when it is flipped down. Can't see worth a damn at night. So I buy this $10.00 light thing and it totally sucks. The light output is about the same as the darkness. POS!
Old 03-28-2005, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my underbody lighting was a stupid idea....especially in the snow ..that was a waste of few hundres
Old 03-28-2005, 06:13 PM

SL Member

[quote="cmdxb"][quote="cloudnine"]

also i heard that the Injen polished cover starts to pit after a few short months, just an FYI , i saw it in another box , and the owner advised me that he would be repolishing it (i dunno...lol)

quote]

...oh crap...I just bought one last week!!
Old 03-28-2005, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd have to say my greddy evo 2 has been the biggest waste so far.

It's a great piece but just not worth it for box. Barely even louder with obviously no power gains since it's only an axle back.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by superjeer
modding is a journey, not a destination. The process is more important than the product.

I have a garage full of grills, hyperwhite headlights, half made armrests, clutches, tail lights, LED's and cathode tubes...

But, the only thing I regret is selling my stock HU. The sony I replaced it with is half the man the stock used to be.
The stock headunit belongs in the trash... what sony did you install? Try a higher end Alpine or Eclipse and you'll most likely be better off.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Banned
SL Member

None.

I bought a TRD short shift and I love that.

I got an AEM CAI for free.

I just don't get a strange compulsion to buy blinkie lights and carbon fiber bits and blue headlights like some people do. I guess I'm greatful for that! LOL

Quick Reply: What was your biggest waste mod?