First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

What's up with the salvaged title XB's

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What's up with the salvaged title XB's

Thumbing thru the craig's list here in Phoenix. What is up with these people?

"This car is made by toyota gets great gas mileage.It has automatic transmission,pw,pl,ps,cold A/C,tinted windows,rear windshield wiper,and silver in color.Very reliable go on line and check for yourself.Gas prices are going up but this car will save you money.We need a minivan so I have to sell my car.It does have a salvage title and keep your low ball offers I am not giving this car away!Price is $10,996.Call Alin 602 xxx xxxx.Miles on car is 22K.No payment plans cash only."

"I am selling my 2006 Scion XB because I recently took over payments on a new car for a relative in need. I love this car...and hate to have to get rid of it but I cannot afford a car payment and 2 insurances! My loss your gain... I have had no problems with the car..it is like brand new and is suprisigly great on gas. No dents or scratches and gets regular cleanings inside and out. -Restored/Salvage title....passed all inspections with no problems at all -$11,500 OBO -20,000 miles -...No dents, -Kept garaged -Sorry...cannot accept payments. Too scary :S Feel free to email me with any questions or if you want to come check it out. Thanks! 480-xxx-xxxx"

No dents with a salvage title? Is that the oxymoron of the century? What are these people thinking?
Old 09-25-2007, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Totally possible. Maybe it was submerged in water...........
Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

theres one on ebay right now...box got stolen, outside looks nice, nothing major...but the interior was gutted completely, im talking carpet, seats, airbags, a,b,and c pillars, headliner, everything...the "buy it now" was at like 4 grand, salvaged title but it said it would get a clean title when the interior and air bags were put back in, only 20,000 miles

my question is: is that a good deal, how much would a new interior cost, i have been thinking about getting another xB to bag and give randode a run for his money (haha like that would ever happen-the man is a scion god)
Old 09-25-2007, 08:13 AM

salvage title dosent always mean it was in a horrible accident. My cousins get cars all the time that were lightly hit with a salvage title and all u gotta do is get a few parts and some body work and their good as new. My box has a salvage title it was hit in the back, i bought it for 5000 put about 2000 into it and now i have a beautiful 2006 xb with only 20000 miles which isint bad.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Doesn't take much to total them for sure. Most can be picked up for 5-6 K and brought back. They just have the title flagged because of the damage.
I'd jump on the one with no interior tho. You should be able to get all the parts you need by using www.car-part.com . Find a yard that has a wrecked one with a complete interior and buy all of it for prolly around a grand or less.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

really thinking about taking the plunge with this one...i didnt notice it also had a sunroof...that would be a nice project box if you ask me

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scion-xB-xb-wt1-salvage-title-get-clear-when-fixed-by-DMV

{edited to fix over-long URL --Tomas}
Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Salvage Title - my .02

Buyer beware - If you really do not know the history be careful!
Car could have been under water - new interior looks great - till you start having all kinds of electrical problems. In my opinion unless you are going to run the car till the wheels fall, not a great deal. Tough to sell a salvage title and you are never going to get market value (worth less whe you sell or trade). Unless the deal is a real steal - and you inspecr carefully, and plan to keep vehicle till it is not worth much, I would personally shy away.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xb's are "commuter" cars and when an insurance company gets it, they know it's nothing "special" compared to a mercedes or an escalade, etc. so they get rid of xB's dirt cheap if you buy cars from them in bulk. I have have seen insurance companies pay between $2k and $3k for *rebuildable* boxes.

so people take those boxes they paid (lets say) $3k for, throw in maybe another $3k or $4k in repairs and then sell it for $10k.

That way, they make $3k by selling you a box that had been wrapped around a telephone pole/submerged under water/an elephant sat on it, etc.

when you see No dents with a salvage title, you should read:

No dents (now since I replaced every f'in part) with a salvage title (because it had been wrapped around a tree/godzilla broke in and stole my interior, etc)
Old 09-25-2007, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

well i think i would screw up the resale value with what i would be buying it for...bagged, maybe even bodydrop a unibody...i just want it as a project-b so dont really matter to me, would be nice to have the first and only bodydropped xB in the world : )
Old 09-26-2007, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Keep in mind that in many states you can't even register a car with a salvage title.
Between that and the nearly obvious (though not always apparent) issues of some kind with the car, and I'd run - not walk - away from any salvaged car.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I'd love to pick up a salvage xB and go mod crazy. Who cares that the resale will be less. It's a toy, plus you wouldn't have to carry full coverage insurance on it.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's kinda cheap for a stripped xb. I mite get on that for a project. Don't need no back seat for 4 15's
Old 09-26-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

I want a totalled xb for a mod car, it won't have that 1.5 in it for long, it'll get rebuilt to use as a replacement for the daily
Old 09-26-2007, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I want an xB shell to build a tube chassis for and make a RWD xB drifter. A stock 350 bowtie should move a 2400 lb. xB quite nicely.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BoxOffice
Keep in mind that in many states you can't even register a car with a salvage title.
absolutely true but keep in mind that many "mom and pop" type car sellers have multiple locations - typically in neighboring states. if i cant title this salvaged car here in texas, then no problem, im going to send it to my other lot in oklahoma where i can get a title.

buying a salvage car for your daily driver/family car = questionable. like someone else said: buying a cheap salvage xB to go mod nuts on = ideal case to buy a salvage car. you save thousands! imaging how many leds you can put into a box with thousands of saved dollars! l

lol
Old 09-30-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes Jeff RWD Xb drifter would be awesone to see
Old 10-01-2007, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

let me clear a few things up, my old job we were a body shop/salvage yard/used car lot, it wasn't uncommon for the boss man to buy cars that were newer then 2 years old, we would take these totals/wrecks and build them back into a regular car, like they were prior to the wreck, usually that meant buying 2 cars, we took an 04 saturn Ion (car was 6 months old with 500 miles on it) hit in the front and totalled, we bought another that was smacked in the rear, and rebuilt the other with the stuff from it, alot of newer cars insurance companies will total because they are so new they don't want to pay to fix something with a medium/hard hit, we didn't have to even put air bags in it, we put a core support, radiator, condensor, hoses and panels/lights and it was good to go, car ran and runs like a dream, this was what we did, as I said alot of times the insurance will total a medium to hard hit car because its less then a year old, and they don't want to have to deal with alot of supplements, especially if its less then 35k new, these cars are almost always fixible for less then 5 - 7k, and can often times run and be better then they were new, simply because small shops like we were took our time and built them right, now you get the hack jobs that will do it quick, we had one come in to my current work where they welded up the middle of the b pillars, the middle of the roof, and sheet metal screwed the floor back together, they clipped this car, and every time the owner hit the breaks it would pop because the floor slid forwards several inches, thats a hack job
Old 10-02-2007, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
I want an xB shell to build a tube chassis for and make a RWD xB drifter. A stock 350 bowtie should move a 2400 lb. xB quite nicely.
Drifting toaster.......hmmmmmmmmm

That'd be sick!