Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Who has cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Default C.C.

I've got the Rostra Cruise control from Ebay for sale. Had to get rid of my Xb and get a truck and never got around to installing it. If anybody's intrested in it, let me know. I'll give them a good deal. I wasn't about to give it up with the box. I'm in N.J. and will ship it if you'd like.
I just want to post that I sold my C.C. to one of your members. Sorry to all the others that sent me a note.
Thanks again, Steve
Old 06-24-2006, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have a delay from the time you hit the resume/set button to when you get the car to accelerate/hold the speed. You may want to check the slack in the cable where it connects to the throttle. If there is too much slack, then it will take some time for the cruise control to take up the slack before it will accelerate. In the manual, it states there should be 0.06 to 0.10 inch of slack in the cable. I'm not sure how you will measure that, but I just adjusted it to where there was minimal amount of play in the cable. Works pretty good for me overall.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Cruise control for me is my foot in one place. That's all I could get.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: pics of my cruise control installation

Originally Posted by gslippy
I didn't put the control stalk where the instructions recommended...
Here is the control box nestled under the strut tie bar...
I ordered my Rostra CC from AllScion, who provided a local installer who had done dozens for the dealers. Since I am very tall, I used your photo to show them where to install it. I had been using a DC Sports strut bar for the past 5000 miles, but I took it off for the CC installation. The installer took an hour to install the CC while I waited, and charged $150.
I had not been able to tell any difference when I put on the strut bar, and no difference after I took it off, so I just left it off. It interfered with installing the CC, and servicing the air filter, the brake fluid and the power steering fluid.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crashtest
Yeah, I'm pretty used to that as well.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Random311
Originally Posted by crashtest
Yeah, I'm pretty used to that as well.
I drive to LA to San Francisco every couple months, and in the xB, I can make it all the way to San Jose without stopping for gas. On long trips like that, I'll tell ya, I'd love one of those cruise control gadgets.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
Scikotics
SL Member

I have the cruise, port installed for $275. I thought that was easier than doing it myself. That was the posted price on the dealership's price page. It works great with my standard tranny.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

had the dealer put cruise on both boxes .. Rosta's work as advertised..
Old 08-23-2006, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PIMP
I have the cruise, port installed for $275. I thought that was easier than doing it myself. That was the posted price on the dealership's price page. It works great with my standard tranny.
It is cheaper and better to get cruise control that way and at that price, if you can. After 5000 miles I bought from AllScion for about $200 with shipping, and got a good deal on local installation for $150 while I waited. A local nstallation is often higher.
For those who think they can buy CC and install it themselves, be advised. The parts lay out before you very simply. The instructions are pretty good. And the difficulity is about the same as connecting a fancy stereo. It would be a piece of cake if it was a stereo. But you need two physical qualities to do the installation yourself:
1. Small size and agility to work up under the dash.
2. Good close vision without glasses.
I installed my fog lights, and my age and size made it difficult. But what made it most difficult was trying to see stuff 4 inches away with eyeballs pointed upward under the dash, where bifocals don't point. In the case of fog lights, there are only a couple of things to see, and they are not too bad. In the case of cruise control, there are many under-dash tasks and connections, and I simply could not focus on them. And it was physically brutal just trying. After studying a dry run at home, $150 and an hour's wait was welcome to me.
The cruise control works perfectly. But compared to our full size car, once the right foot is freed from the gas pedal, there is not much room to move it around in the xB's litle footwell. Still, CC is a great relief to have on an Interstate trip.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

^^ I can see your point with the glasses, but I am 6'2" and 385 and I installed mine with little difficulty. I also got the rf package and don't have to worry about the placement of the stalk.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont know if its worth the $$$... how often do u guys use it to make it worth it?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
... The instructions are pretty good. ...
As a total noob to mechanical/electrical auto work, I must beg to differ. I thought the docs were effin' awful. Only a careful re-reading of the forums here saved my sanity during the install, and I'd thought I'd done a pretty thorough job of checking things out beforehand.

OTOH, the local dealers all wanted $549 (or more!) for cruise+installation. Seeing folks in other parts of the country mention dealer installs for $300 (or less!) just about makes me weep. Even with all the difficulties I had during installation, it was well worth the saving nearly 400 bucks (that includes 8.8% tax on $549).

If anyone in the Puget Sound area wants help with installing a Rostra, let me know. I'd love to try doing the definitive writeup, or at least definitive enough to save other noobs like me from excessive wailing and gnashing of teeth, bruised ribs, &c. &c...
Old 08-24-2006, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member

being out here in the east and from seeing where the locations are i guess not too many regions offer cruise control.we sell a kit for the xa/xb but im not sure if its from rostra.we get it from our electronics supplier and its hell to install.so far no problems or comebacks.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

love my cruise it was port ionstalled which was fine with me because i do a looooot of loooong trips and must have cruise on my vehicles. including my motorcycle
Old 08-25-2006, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought my unit off of e-bay and installed myself. It's not for the newbie.

I found the location on the instructions to tap into the power was just too difficult to get to. And that's with the top of the dash removed. Tapped into another power wire.

I had previously installed aftermarket audio equipment and ran the powe wires through the gromett in the firewall and mounted fuses, etc right where the control module mounts. I also had to relocate my horn for my alarm. It was a tight fit with the added wires.

But it works great and is worth it if you do any long, freeway driving.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:49 PM
BPG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The installer took about an hour! It took me about 8 hours! Poor instruction manual, minimal room under the dash, and the wrong engine compartment Module mounting bracket. Hey, If your installer used the Rostra supplied mounting bracket, it is wrong, wrong, wrong! It interfers with the throttle cable, bending it way down. I talked to the engineering manager at Rostra and he took a "well look at the problem" attitude. He told me that they sell about 1000 per month and no one has complained! That's hard for me to believe! I think we've got a bunch of lazy small town North Carolina guys down there. When I asked the manager to explain a couple of steps in the instructions, he couldn't figure them out either. Had to get back to me. If I had to do it again, I would R&R the top of the dash as described in "Installing a Toyota Navigation System"
Old 08-26-2006, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been eyeing the RF cruise that someone sells. I remember someone put the remote in the center console and can reach it easily when needed. I would assume the RF model is much easier to install then the non-RF model.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BPG
The installer took about an hour! It took me about 8 hours! Poor instruction manual, minimal room under the dash, and the wrong engine compartment Module mounting bracket. Hey, If your installer used the Rostra supplied mounting bracket, it is wrong, wrong, wrong! It interfers with the throttle cable, bending it way down. I talked to the engineering manager at Rostra and he took a "well look at the problem" attitude. He told me that they sell about 1000 per month and no one has complained! That's hard for me to believe! I think we've got a bunch of lazy small town North Carolina guys down there. When I asked the manager to explain a couple of steps in the instructions, he couldn't figure them out either. Had to get back to me. If I had to do it again, I would R&R the top of the dash as described in "Installing a Toyota Navigation System"

Now that you mention it, I do remember having to bend the bracket so the unit didn't press on the throttle cable.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BPG
...When I asked the manager to explain a couple of steps in the instructions, he couldn't figure them out either. ...
I literally barked with laughter when I read that! I am absolutely unsurprised.

As far as the mounting bracket goes, my unit points up at an angle rather than being parallel to the ground. If I tried to make it parallel, it would indeed press down quite hard on the throttle cable. So far it works like a charm, which is a tremendous relief after the tremendous pain of installing it.

In re the RF version: I don't think that it would necessarily be any easier to install than the version with the steering column stalk. All my teeth-gnashing and hair-pulling bits had nothing to do with the stalk. By the time I got to the stalk I felt like I was walking on air, since I knew I was about 95% done at that point.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:34 AM
BPG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you take a close look at the instruction manual provided by Rostra (the manual on line has much clearer photos) you will notice that the bracket used in Figure 7 is different from the one in figure 8! Figure 7 is the one that is one that Rostra is supplying with the Scion Kit. The bracket shown in the parts list, Page 2, is the same as shown in Figure 8. Mind you that the Module drawing on page 2 up-side-down in relation to its actual mounting configuration. After discussing the descrepinces with their manager, he was unaware of these differences, and again said that he would check into it. I told him that I wanted the bracket like the one on page 2 and in Figure 8. Then he said that he would send me a universal bracket that I could bend up and make the module fit! So, I have to kluge up a bracket on a kit that is custom designed for a Scion! What's going on. I may be being picky but come on Rostra! Acknowledge that you have a problem and take timely corrective action. How could they sell 1000 Scion units per month and never had complaints. I'm an Engineering grad with 40 years on the job. Maybe a few more calls to Rostra from all of us DIYers will get some action. If this situation is an example, no wonder our American manufacturing and auto industry is in the toilet.

Quick Reply: Who has cruise control?