Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Who has the Highest miles already on their xB?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Who has the Highest miles already on their xB?

Hi, I was almost ready to buy an xB, when my (NASCAR) mechanic found out. He doesn't think that the 1.5L engine would pull the non-aerodynamic Box weight around for more than 80-90k miles before it takes a dump on me before it's paid for. We know it's an Echo engine; he's just saying that some motorcycles have larger motors, and the xB is somewhat of a fad. He's concerned because he knows I'd put 86k miles on it in less than 3 years. My commute is 100 miles per day. My last car is a Colt Vista, and the xB was the closest thing I could find. The vista is on it's last 210k mile. Please tell me there's some road-hungry xb owner that has high miles, and I'll be sold! We aren't knocking the Box; we are just concerned as to whether the guide assembly on the timing chain has been improved since the last time a manufacturer tried to put one of these tiny engines in a heavier car. The dealer (who I liked until now) is very tight lipped about how the engine is made, could produce no literature, was resistant to letting my mechanic see a manual, and all of my online attempts to have a peek at a service manual requires a fee. It's starting to seem like they have something to hide. Our next step is to go to Service and ask to look.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-05-2021 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 12-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I have 40k miles on my xB, and I know there are a few peeps hovering around 50k miles right now. I use it to commute 160 miles everyday, well before I got hurt at work. I've had mine since 01Aug03.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Gonna go for it! Gotta change my name cause it looks like an Ammo box- gonna get the
Camo Box instead of the washer! Sorry u got hurt SQ, hope u still can enjoy yer Box.

-Cammobox

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-05-2021 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 12-21-2004, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Umm. It's the same engine as the Echo - maybe they would me more forthcoming if you ask for the service guide for a Echo?

I can't imagine the aerodynamic force is putting that much strain on the engine anyway - if it did, how on earth does it get 34 mpg?

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-05-2021 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 12-21-2004, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mfbenson
Umm. Its the same engine as the camry - maybe they would me more forthcoming if you ask for the service guide for a camry?

I can't imagine the aerodynamic force is putting that much strain on the engine anyway - if it did, how on earth does it get 34 mpg?
sorry but your wrong....the tC has the Camry engine. Us xBers have the same engine as the Echo.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I posted a thred exactly like this one, I need to go an dig it up.

-nt
Old 12-21-2004, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Echo, Camry, yeah yeah. Anyhow, the point is the information is out there. And I still don't see how this engine could
so stressed out that it would wear out in 80K yet be so under-stressed that it easily gets gas mileage in the 30's.

I this Nascar mechanic needs to stick to domestic.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-05-2021 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 12-22-2004, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think he isn't a NASCAR mechanic, or else he wouldn't be giving you advice. I'm sure they have plenty of other things to work on that pay alot more than consulting to a person that wants to buy $14,000 vehicle.

I agree, he should stick to domestics. The xB has a drag coefficient of .35, ask him how horrible that is... Some people need to keep their mouths quiet when they don't know what they're speaking of... and you can tell your "NASCAR" mechanic that I said that.

Also, since when do they have timing chain problems? This is the first I've ever heard of the 1NZ-FE having a problem? It's a WIDELY used engine for Toyota. They use it in the Echo/Vitz/Yaris/xA/xB/ist/bB/Vios and so on.
If it had problems, I doubt they'd use it so widely. The 2-NZ is also identical, except has a smaller bore (or shorter stroke? Can't recall which) to the tune of 1.3L... so all in all, I'm sure you'd have heard about a problem by now.

And what's a service manual going to do for your mechanic??? Makes no sense to me.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-05-2021 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 12-22-2004, 11:41 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by jdaniels
I think he isn't a NASCAR mechanic, or else he wouldn't be giving you advice. I'm sure they have plenty of other things to work on that pay alot more than consulting to a person that wants to buy $14,000 vehicle.

I agree, he should stick to domestics. The xB has a drag coeffcient of .35, ask him how horrible that is... Some people need to keep their mouths quiet when they don't know what they're speaking of... and you can tell your "NASCAR" mechanic that I said that.

Also, since when do they have timing chain problems? This is the first I've ever heard of the 1nz-fe having a problem? It's a WIDELY used engine for Toyota... they use it in the echo/vitz/yaris/xa/xb/ist/bb/vios and so on... if it had problems, I doubt they'd use it so widely. The 2nz is also identical, except has a smaller bore (or shorter stroke? Can't recall which) to the tune of 1.3L... so all in all, I'm sure you'd have heard about a problem by now.

And what's a service manual going to do for your mechanic??? Makes no sense to me...
Someone trying to impress us? Maybe?

First things first, its a TOYOTA. Nuff said. I cant recall the last time i heard a domestic going 200K+ miles, and still maintain its worth.

Second, tizz true that the box gets 33 MPG, and some owners are getting more then that. Me personally, i beat the hell out of my box, and it still gets good gas milage. Cant go wrong with the Scion line. JMO
Old 12-23-2004, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB is not very heavy...sub 2500 lb's. The 1.5 is plenty enough to move it around , and doesn't put a massive strain on the engine.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have 2 customers with echos one is a messenger the other one has a long commute to work both have arouns 200k with no major engine problems ok one guy had a starter go bad at 150k and the other ones water pump started seeping
around 180k tell your jar headed domestic tech he dont know squat!!!! and besides its a toyota!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just go for it, Toyota won't let you down. If you have little concern with power, well, drop in a CAI, HP sparkplugs and may be a sport muffler which is not too loud for your everyday commu. Of course you can't expect it would make your box faster than mustang.

If you still have concern about the power of small engine. Got a corola or civic, may be a small SUV.

I chose the box for - MPG, spacious interior, traction control, and under $16k. no other car can come close.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

29,000 miles in one year...runs just as good as the day I bought it. Just take care of that engine, and it will take care of you. Regular oil changes, regular fluid chages and maitenance. 1.5l isn't a lot of displacement, but the xB is not a heavy car either.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member
Scion Evolution

My friend Sally has 98k miles on her xB. She does allot of driving
Old 01-02-2005, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Longoscion
My friend Sally has 98k miles on her xB. She does allot of driving
Damn... I thought I was up there with 48k.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: who has the highest miles already on their xb?

Originally Posted by ima m8tag
Hi, I was almost ready to buy an xb, when my (NASCAR) mechanic found out. He doesn't think that the 1.5l engine would pull the non-aerodynamic box weight around for more than 80-90k miles before it takes a dump on me before it's paid for. We know it's an echo engine; he's just saying that some motorcycles have larger motors, and the xb is somewhat of a fad. He's concerned because he knows I'd put 86k miles on it in less than 3 years. My commute is 100 miles per day. My last car is a colt vista, and the xb was the closest thing I could find. The vista is on it's last 210k mile. Please tell me there's some road-hungry xb owner that has high miles, and I'll be sold! We are'nt knocking the box; we are just concerned as to whether the guide assembly on the timing chain has been improved since the last time a manufacturer tried to put one of these tiny engines in a heavier car. The dealer (who I liked until now) is very tight lipped about how the engine is made, could produce no literature, was resistant to letting my mechanic see a manual, and all of my online attempts to have a peek at a service manual requires a fee. It's starting to seem like they have something to hide. Our next step is to go to Service and ask to look.

your nascar buddy is an idiot
Old 01-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member
Scion Evolution

Nascar......man....I have formula 1 drivers, Formula Atlantic, and Lexus Cup drivers who drive xBs ......its a Toyota, reliability is there.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

March of 04, 22k dang i thought i was really racking up the miles.... WOW!
Old 01-03-2005, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well I'm stackin em fast got 21k n got it begining of july then again I drive from my home 2 college a lot (home being in MD n college in OK) lol hella cheaper than flyin n no bin laden worries
Old 01-03-2005, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I have had mine since Feb and have a whopping 7300miles. I think the battery is startting to die. It won't hold a charge for a week. I have disconnected eveything and it still dies. Time to go to the dealership.

Quick Reply: Who has the Highest miles already on their xB?