Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Why do most XB people have no personality?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
I wave, honk, flash lights, wiggle my ears, whatever and usually get zero response.

Some of us appreciate our boxes more than others.

Tom
How do you know how much someone appreciates their car? Because they don't act silly when they see another of the same car they drive?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't expect anyone to act silly or like you're their long lost brother...there are things that bond people together.

Vw's have a strong following with the modified crowd-I expect little to nothing out of the stock jetta driven by a mom to get her kids from aikido class-I guess I expected the same with the scion crowd in the fact that you take pride in keeping your car clean, modified whatever and you see it in others. "hey, man we have something in common"

I see guys with slip on Vans and think it's cool because I have always been into Vans from my BMX days-if they notice my vans and whatever "hey cool shoes"

If I see somebody in a Civic done nicely (not all tacked together, mismatched and running a can of bees muffler) I will give them the nod or whatever too because it's cool they are into doing modifying right :D

I just hate the "I'm too cool to drool" attitude
Old 11-08-2007, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

Originally Posted by bB2NER
Originally Posted by xBster
I especially like the people who pretend they aren't interested, but casually peek at the back to see who makes it.
That is funny. I love it when everyone in the car turns around at once to check it out when stopped at lights.
i get that a lot too, mostly blank stares and pointing. It doesnt help that the car is a box, but when its bright green...people cant help but notice it
Old 11-08-2007, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if people wave to me i always wave back, usually its from people in stock boxes, then again, we dont have many modified boxes around here anyways. its only when im in a funny mood when ill wave to other people driving boxes, and when i do, i usually get a nervous wave back, like they are probably thinking "why the hell is this guy waving and me" lol. -thats probably why i dont initiate a wave too often.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i agree. half and half (or less). lots of old people that want something easy to get out of. i try to make buddies with other Xb's on the road.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My oldest stepson showed me the xb one day back in 04 just as they went on sale and my wife didn't care for it. So I said look lets take a trip out to SoCal to I.A.S Show and see one in person. Thats all it took - she fell in love with the thing. We had planned to buy one once they started selling in states other than Cali but her car crapped out sooner than I wanted. So we had a dealer here pull one from Cali for us.And of course I couldn't keep my hands off it and the modding began. Well I drive it now -- she's afraid to now thats it's bagged. As far as the waving thing goes - not a whole of that here either. I think the magic has worn off.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ It's kinda sad in a way to think the "magic" has worn off. Jeeps have been around forever and that crowd is always throwing each other a wave.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I recently moved to Florida and nobody here cares, I don't get waves I don't get stares and I don't get people coming up and asking about the car. When I drive up north I get completely different reactions. I decided it was a regional thing.
there's also less risk of vandalism. sometimes not being noticed is a good thing.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh ya I forgot -- Right after we got the box we pulled next a slightly modded one, I roll down the window to chat and the punk kid gave this look like I was some pos!!!
I looked back - shook my head and rolled the window up. What a I haven't seen that douche since. It take all kinds.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The others just got them to drive cause they were cheap/reliable transportation and not into cars.
That's what most of the xBs seem to be in my area. Completely stock, just puttering around, driven by middle aged or older people. Not really a bad thing. There are plenty of stock Civics and whatnot driving around too. At least the modded xBs I do see appear to be tastefully done!

I think Consumer Reports has rated the xB as a best buy so many value conscious people bought them for basic reliable transportation. The no haggle, no markup by Scion dealers, and lack of confusing and overpriced options/trims may have swayed buyers away from other brands. For example, Honda dealers in my area will charge over MSRP for popular models (Fit) and still try to take on stupid dealer options (pinstripes and mudflaps anyone?) to make more money.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stew32
The others just got them to drive cause they were cheap/reliable transportation and not into cars.
That's what most of the xBs seem to be in my area. Completely stock, just puttering around, driven by middle aged or older people.
Tha's ME!

Well, not completely stock; Stubby's got snowflake wheels and some interior mods . . . but I got him to drive to work and back home and to work and to HyVe and back home and to work and . . . you get the idea.

BUT -- I do wave when I see another xB, and sometimes the drivers wave back!! (Gives me a bit of a thrill when that happens; especially the time a twenty-something woman returned my wave -- WOO-HOO -- and got my blood pumping!)
Old 11-19-2007, 08:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="stew32"]
T

I think Consumer Reports has rated the xB as a best buy so many value conscious people bought them for basic reliable transportation. The no haggle, no markup by Scion dealers, and lack of confusing and overpriced options/trims may have swayed buyers away from other brands. For example, Honda dealers in my area will charge over MSRP for popular models (Fit) and still try to take on stupid dealer options (pinstripes and mudflaps anyone?) to make more money.
You got it! That is why I bought mine (and at the same time it is a unique looking vehicle). How can you go wrong when you can look "different" in a reliable car (Toyota) and for less than 15 grand new?! And the 30+ MPG is great too.

I did mod miine a bit. On the outside I have cleared my tailights (using LED bulbs) and I have a bB front badge. Woo-hoo! I also installed white LED license plate illumination and nice thin LED CHMSL.

On the inside I replaced all amber dash lights with white LEDs (including the head unit).
Old 11-20-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Wow, I didn't know Xb owners waved at each other?

I ride motorcycles, currently have a 2005 Hayabusa and a 2005 Harley Softail. Occasionally when I ride my Harley I get a wave or nod from other Harley or cruiser owners and when I ride the Busa, it is usually the Sportsbike riders that wave or give a thumbs up. I didn't know that Xb owners waved or honked to each other. I think it is pretty cool. I bought the car because it is inexpensive, reliable and roomy, I have owned it a week and when I was telling the guys at work about it, they sort of ridiculed me and said, don't do it man, it isn't you. I was like "whatever". I drive what I want to drive. The Xb is a cool little ride, if anyone waves or honks I would return the favor, why not?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Honestly,

My options were to buy a GT500 (mustang) and sell my race bike, sell my street bike, and take a big financial hit to drive a real modern, reliable muscle car (never thought I'd put those words together) or buy a toaster and put a tow hitch on it to drag my race bike to the track (my race bike weighs under 200 lbs, and the trailer less than that, so no big thing, even for the little toaster)

I didn't get it to be cool.
I didn't want to be a hipster.

The only mod my toaster has so far is a trailer hitch.

I am a fan of custom motorcycles, and always took some level of offense at people who tried to "buy custom" as if throwing your wallet at something made it a part of you in the same way that blood sweat, tears and throwing away hundreds of hours of work to fab up yet another attempt does.

Then I got on this community and found SO MANY people doing real work on these things, of the type I thought went away with v8's, rwd, and chrome bumpers.

I think it's amazing that this community exists, and I'm really happy that it does, but I'm betting there are many people like me who simply decided to get a reliable 4 door with storage room and headroom that gets good millage.

What makes a bond?

-- James
Old 11-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Scikotics

Default no personality

i think that is with any car that has a huge following. there are people who drive whatever and dont see it as anything special. there are not many xB's around where I live but i have only recieved one acknowledgement. i let me friend drive it and she said someone in a box started beeping at her. that i find funny. most of the people i see driving them are in company cars. we have a tattoo place, cafe shop and some water company uses the xb. i dont think it is xb owners, its the individuals.
i'll admit if i see the blue one that drives around and its all dirty(cant see out the windows) i know he doesnt care, so i dont wave, i smile when i pass, but that's it.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Funny you mention it. I was tuning VW's (Golfs, Rabbits, Jettas, etc) in the late 80's and during the 90's, and there was a true brotherhood. This is going back to BEFORE Honda tuning, alot of it was lost when the Hondas started getting modded.
When I built my golf, I got a TON of nods and thumbs up from other Dubbers. Met ALOT of very cool people, whom I am lifelong friends with now. I bought my XB for ME, if anything I get fingerpointing and stares (some laughing), which is OK, I am not in it for anyones approval. I could care less if anyone approves of my ride, but if I find a fellow SCION owner that has a passion for the cars, thats all good too.