First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

window explosion - anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KEVYNWITHAWHY
all of this makes total sense, however, the window installer told me i MUST leave the window cracked for atleast 24 hours because the pressure will build and burst holes in the freshly laid silicone. i was also told that by two seperate friends that have had windows replaced. i guess we'll never know. i like your explanation typhoonorchid
Its called CYA on the installers part.

Additionally, the difference in pressure that causes air to make its way through wet silicone and air to blow out a window is night and day.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all of this makes total sense, however, the window installer told me i MUST leave the window cracked for atleast 24 hours because the pressure will build and burst holes in the freshly laid silicone. i was also told that by two seperate friends that have had windows replaced. i guess we'll never know. i like your explanation typhoonorchid
But that is like apples and oranges. The bead of adhesive (silicone or urethane or whaterver else used) is quite soft until it sets. Almost as soft as bubble gum. The installer doesn't want to take any chances of the sealant becoming damaged. And as I mentioned earlier, the most likely scenario of the sealant popping would be when the door is slammed shut. That builds a burst of pressure which might dislodge the sealant.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yes as ScionSemper stated above the windows that go up or down a little has only to do with clearance. My wifes 350z does it.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was at a car show with the Impala SS a few years back and saw this very thing happen with one of those "S10 Blazers" (?). Just sitting there in the heat and BLAMMO! The thing just blew out. Got a good reaction from the folks who just walked past.

I hope our cars aren't prone to the same thing. I might start making sure I leave the windows cracked in above 80 degree temps when I'll be gone for a while. Glad I have the knock-off E-Sams!

Tim
Old 10-24-2007, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yesterday while driving home, i noticed that i have a foot long crack in my windshield now. no reason, no impact point. no xtreme weather. just is. i'm so fed up i want to scream!!! does toyota just use the cheapest freaking glass they can get?!! this is getting really old. rear and front windows replaced in two months. neither one explained.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had my back window do the same thing , I did however find a full beer can under the seat, so that rules out exploding : / , it was such a nightmare to clean, especially it was a rainy morning driving to Toyota
Old 10-24-2007, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It seems more likely that maybe the adhesive he used might fill your car with fumes that could be unsafe, or just make your car stink.

There have been a number of reports of the tC's sunroof spontaneously exploding. I have not heard of an official cause, but it sounds like maybe it's the same thing. I just hope it doesn't happen to me all that glass on your head would be scary!
Old 10-27-2007, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: window explosion - anyone else?

and my deduct. is 500 so i can use my insurance. now the insurance is telling me i need to talk to an adjuster and convince them to pay more than the average price of glass.
You live in Vegas and don't have zero glass coverage?

There is just as much crap flying around the roads there as here in Phoenix. The cost of just one windshield will equal the $3 more a month you'd pay for zero glass coverage plus they woulda covered your back window.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is one crazy story.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's crazy. my windshield cracked when i brought it ot mammoth