Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Window tint

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you can't find tint to match the rear windows, go lighter on the front windows.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I sell kits that will match the front windows. They run $39.95 shipped. They are computer cut pattern and fit perfectly. Includes 2 tints and the felt strips for the weather stripping.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used 35% on my front doors if you need something that will match you would want to use SolarGard HP22 its a perfect match.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got back at 8:30 from California with my new xB. They did an excellent job of matching my front windows with the back!
Old 01-18-2004, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who did it for you, what city?
Old 01-18-2004, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tintsem
Who did it for you, what city?
I can't recall the name right off, but it is someone Carson Toyota uses all the time.
I really enjoyed the lack of glare inside the vehicle on the drive back from Carson.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member

Sorry this is a little off topic. I really dont know much about tinting, but do any tint company or the xb have any UV protection in them?

Thank's.........Joe
Old 01-19-2004, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

All after market tint will block 98-99% of the UV rays.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tintsem
I've owned a window tinting business for 14yrs and have been installing for 19yrs. I know all the films and which will go bad. You want to find someone thats using Madico Charcool films. I tinted my Xb with 35% and all of them. It helps darken the rears and the 35% on the doors is legal in AZ. The Charcool film are a new extruded film which has no metals in the film so it will not reduce the range of your antenna in the rear windows and the are warranteed for life against bubbling,fading, color change, peeling and delaminating. Oh, and one more thing. The XB's have no felt strips on the inside window rubbers, its just rubber and when dirt builds up in them it will scratch the film. Make sure you find a shop that knows this and ads the felt strips to your rubber scrapers. Do not allow them to trim them out, you will get wind noise.
Cool! Thx for the felt and brand heads up...I'm going in tomorrow morning to match the front to the back tint. Anyone know what the actual legal limit for tint is in Cali? Or should I ask, what is the most tolerated by 5-0.
Thx!
Old 01-19-2004, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u cant have tint in front period is wat i heard
Old 01-19-2004, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks tintsem for the info.

Joe
Old 01-19-2004, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The legal limit for tint on the front windows in Cal. is 88%. Which is close to nothing.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member

Just got back from the shop...The 35% on the front looks nice and although slightly lighter than the back, it matches well. Wanted to prevent being hassled!
Old 07-20-2004, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Window tint

Originally Posted by Bicepeak
Which windows are already tinted?
Are the rear / side rear wondows tinted on all Xb's?

I will be putting another 5% all around and then 35% on the ENTIRE front windshield with a 6" 5% strip on the top of the windshield. Had this set-up in my 98 Civic a few years back (except I had 2 layers of 5% on the side windows) and loved it!!
Old 07-21-2004, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

I've got 5% from the passenger doors back and 15% on the front, lol.....been lucky so far......knock on wood!!! Just ask around in your area and you will hear who to stay away from and who does good work.....love my Xb people......best car i have ever owned.....pictures soon to come....btw blue scion life stickers look great on my tint.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Window tint

Originally Posted by Bicepeak
Which windows are already tinted?

Are the rear / side rear wondows tinted on all Xb's?
technically they are not TINTED. But all Scion xB's do have PRIVACY GLASS from the b-pillar back.

Difference is "TINT" allows from 98-99% UV blockage, glass breakage protection, glare reduction, heat reduction/rentention, tint is a film applied after the vehicel is manufactured

"PRIVACY GLASS" offers privacy. That's it, nothing more. Privacy glass is colored glass and the coloring cannot be removed as window TINT can.

Even if you use 100% clear film, you really still should add it to the rear also (if you don't want it any darker). It will protect the interior, give protection from flying glass in a wreck (got kids??), protect your skin etc etc etc etc.

A good place to see the difference between tinted and untinted windows is on the wrecked blue xB at www.overboost.com
Old 07-21-2004, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK so i've got a question here. So I paid $100 to have my front 2 windows tinted to match the back ones. They used 3m scotchtint. It's fully lifetime warranteed.

So I had some wrinkles in the drivers' side and took it back to have redone. They redid that window no problem. Now i've got another drivers' side wrinkle and the passenger side has tiny bubbles in it (about 1mm diameter). Should I take it back and have them redo it or ask them to give me money back?
Old 07-21-2004, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey scion05hatch, Good choice... I've got the same on my Lava... Got 2 layers of 5% on back hatch, both back doors and side glass... Got 1 layer of 5% on both front driver and front passenger.. Got 1 layer of 35% on front windshield.. But opted not to do the 5% 6" strip cross the front.. I think it looks cleaner without it.. But anyways, a guy I went to Highschool with in Nashville hooked me up.... You can't see inside the vehicle whatsoever even when you put your face on the glass.. I love it...L8R...
Old 07-21-2004, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take it back and politely express your concerns. POLITELY. 99% chance they'll take care of it no problem.

As far as getting your money back, that'll never happen. Just bringing it up will probably make the shop do the absolute minimum it can to get you out of the shop, any willingness to fix your problems is pretty much gone when the word "Refund" comes up. If you DO get a refund, you can put money on it that you wont be leaving with the tint AND your money - while the owner's in there counting your $100 out to you, a tinter is out at your car snatching the film off (and probably leaving the glue behind for the next tinter).

$100 is A LOT for just doing two front doors, any where in the country, that's at the highest end of the price scale. I'd hope you have an amazing warranty at that price!.

Just take it back - I'm sure they'll fix it.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just watch for the Ala. State Troopers. ALL troopers in the state carry light meters for film testing and in Alabama illegal tint is a primary offense. Meaning, he can flip around on I-65 and come chase you down for the tint and and no other reason. Sucks, but it's the law - and the troopers are complete hardasses about tint, city cops generally don't care and most don't carry light meters anyway (so a ticket without one would never hold up in court). Illegal tint in AL. also goes on your driving record as a moving violation - you can thank your insurance company's lobbyist for that one.

Originally Posted by MrLavaLava
Hey scion05hatch, Good choice... I've got the same on my Lava... Got 2 layers of 5% on back hatch, both back doors and side glass... Got 1 layer of 5% on both front driver and front passenger.. Got 1 layer of 35% on front windshield.. But opted not to do the 5% 6" strip cross the front.. I think it looks cleaner without it.. But anyways, a guy I went to Highschool with in Nashville hooked me up.... You can't see inside the vehicle whatsoever even when you put your face on the glass.. I love it...L8R...

Quick Reply: Window tint