Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Wiper Blade Timebomb Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wiper Blade Timebomb Revisited

In this thread...... https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66338..... the topic was about the xB Wiper Blade design flaw that could do damage to the paint, with the steel spline "walking" out of its' assembly.

Yesterday I replaced the two front blades with new Trico ones that clasp the spline firmly (Trico # 20-1)

Does anyone know where a replacement for the "Rear" blade can be purchased? I have been unable to locate one.

Jim
Old 07-22-2005, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for reminding us of that! I remember reading that thread a long time ago, but I only had my xA at the time so I kinda forgot all about it. We now have a RS 2.0 xB also, so I will be getting new wiper arms for it.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, mine did that a few weeks ago. I was able to catch it before any damage and get it pushed back in. So far it seems to be holding but I am keeping my eyes on it for sure!!

Walt
Old 07-22-2005, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Banana Boat
Does anyone know where a replacement for the "Rear" blade can be purchased? I have been unable to locate one.

Jim

Look for a 12" narrow replacement blade. Any brand should work. I got mine at Advanced Auto. (Same one as my old 2002 Si had on the rear hatch...)
Old 07-22-2005, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't figure out what all the wiper blade fuss is about. If the refills are correctly installed, the small shiny metal retainer is at the bottom of the blade, not the top. I have had no problems with mine working loose.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Deager, the "fuss" is all about the ORIGINAL (OEM) blade inserts don't have a metal retainer and one of the two metal insert ribs have a tendancy to 'walk' out of the rubber blade insert in-use.

If you want to know what the OEM blade inserts look like when this happens, here is one on my xB that has just started to come out:

If this condition is not noticed in time, the stainless steel blade that has worked out of the rubber insert (just by using the wipers) can scratch the paint badly.

This picture is a replacement blade insert from NAPA (similar ones available from Trico, Anco, etc) that has tinly barbs on the stainless steel ribs to keep that from happening.

Gee! Does this really happen? Yup! It does. Many have observed for themselves the rib oozing out of the OEM blades, some have had paint damage from them.

(The other thread mentioned above goes into more detail, but that's the basics.)
Old 07-23-2005, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xB Nutt
Originally Posted by Banana Boat

Jim

Look for a 12" narrow replacement blade. Any brand should work. I got mine at Advanced Auto. (Same one as my old 2002 Si had on the rear hatch...)
Thanks for the suggestion Robert, but I was at Advance Auto this morning, and there wasn't any 12" blades on the display rack, and when I asked the clerk, he said they don't carry that size....

Jim
Old 07-23-2005, 12:57 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I can suggest, Jim, is a more serious parts store that carries a broader choice than most of the glossy 'blister pack' stores do...the kind that will probably have it in stock, but even if it doesn't will have it for you next morning.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
All I can suggest, Jim, is a more serious parts store that carries a broader choice than most of the glossy 'blister pack' stores do...the kind that will probably have it in stock, but even if it doesn't will have it for you next morning.
Thanks for the suggestion Tom.... I thought someone might know of an online source, but I will try some other parts stores.

OT ~ I was stationed in Fort Lewis in 1965... the scenery in your state is a lot like Maine.... but it sure does rain alot there... I was in one hell of an earthquake there during that year.... I watched as 60 ton tanks were jumping off the ground about a foot....

Jim
Old 07-23-2005, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Thanks for the suggestion Tom.... I thought someone might know of an online source, but I will try some other parts stores.

OT ~ I was stationed in Fort Lewis in 1965... the scenery in your state is a lot like Maine.... but it sure does rain alot there... I was in one hell of an earthquake there during that year.... I watched as 60 ton tanks were jumping off the ground about a foot....

Jim
Old 07-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heheheheheh... I remember that one, Jim - I was a newscaster at the time and was just about to go on-air for an update when the whole concrete building wibbled like a bowl of Jello.

(And, of course, the rain out here is why we NEED good wipers...)
Old 07-23-2005, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The blades in the pictures look absolutely nothing like those I bought from my Scion dealer, which were Toyota OEM. Perhaps you got the wrong part number. The part numbers I got were 85213-YZZC3 (B500 refill) and 85214-52020 (A300 refill). I believe that the B500 is for the front, but I'm not 100% sure of that. The front ones have a small (1/2") u-shaped silver retaining clip.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

How about a set of these. They have a 10 yr warranty and come in several colors. We put a set on my wife's car over a year ago. They work great, almost too great.

www.jcwhitney.com/
Old 07-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Deager, in THIS TOPIC, grizzly_choppers discusses two types of inserts, both Toyota, both available from the dealer.

The "replacement" inserts (85213-YZZC3) have that metal retaining clip, while the "service" inserts (85214-24050) are the same as the inserts provided by the factory when the vehicle is built.

The ones we are discussing here are the original, from-the-factory inserts, which have a problen with the top stainless steel rib 'walking' out of the rubber insert on the passenger side of the xB and potentially damaging the xB's finish.

The replacement inserts you bought are obviously NOT identical to the original factory installed inserts we are discussing a problem with.

There are many, many different inserts and blade assemblies available that will fit and work on the xB, there is only ONE specific type that appears to have a problem. Thing is, it's the one most xB's come with from the factory.

Hope that clears it up a little bit.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:58 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can't really say, Dust.

When you get your new xB you now know to take a look at the wiper inserts, and *IF* they are the kind that can cause a problem, replace at least the passenger side one with another type that WON'T cause a problem.

As to the cabin air filter, just be happy that Scion has built in a place to put one if you want it - a LOT of other cars don't even have that... :D

Hope you enjoy your new xB!!!
Old 07-24-2005, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

These are some awesome wiper blades. They have a 5 year warranty. Can't get much better than that.
http://www.silblade.com/
Old 07-24-2005, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by jsa3mm
These are some awesome wiper blades. They have a 5 year warranty. Can't get much better than that.
http://www.silblade.com/
Same blade as my link except JC Whitney doubles the warranty and is cheaper.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by deager
The blades in the pictures look absolutely nothing like those I bought from my Scion dealer, which were Toyota OEM. Perhaps you got the wrong part number. The part numbers I got were 85213-YZZC3 (B500 refill) and 85214-52020 (A300 refill). I believe that the B500 is for the front, but I'm not 100% sure of that. The front ones have a small (1/2") u-shaped silver retaining clip.
pretty clearly that clip you got is -not- found on any of our OEM equipped cars.

from the original thread, "Stupid Wiper Blades", my first shocked input--- having found my RS2' s blades were ready to rip.

A week later I met Squarpants. We looked at his year-old TCM. the metal was coming out of the passenger side blade, identically the same as Tom's picture.

these things are disasters waiting to happen

Originally Posted by SciFly
Am very grateful that you made this report.

Yesterday I studied the Toyota wiper blade. It is not a good design. This is surprising!

all there is to retain that stainless strip is one, 1/16th" nib of natural rubber at the two ends of the rubber blade

Now, if that upper-end nib tears or pierces, there is nothing to stop the insert from walking out and whipping your paint at the roof line

am shocked they would make such a design.

Now, go to the auto parts store, everybody, and get wiper blade assemblies which have a barbed notch on the strip-inserts. The barb design positively captures the inser strips in the claw..

late edit: see page three for Tom's instructions to use simple -inserts-
Inserts (the blade rubber and spines only) are cheaper than whole assemblies

xB uses a standard 20" wiper.
late edit: A 19" blade assembly looks better and fits better.
I just got the Nekoi's exchanged for the 18 inch version, and to my view they look
better and work just as well as the 20" stock length. Try the sizes out for yourself
get what -you- like.
-I happened to settle on 18" aftermarket blades. Does not give up any wiped area to speak of, and, in my opinion the shorter blades look a lot neater.

I do not suppose the rear wiper blade is anything like the risk of the front passenger blade. All reported failures to date have been of the passenger side blade. Why? Look at how the two blades up front sweep. I think the answer is given there.

It is vital to have either the mentioned Toyata security clips added, or get good inserts installed, OR just replace the units with basic, secure, safe Trico or Anco blade assemblies. It is very easy to do the latter and costs under $15 for entirely new blades.

Natural rubber compound blade edges still sqeegee the best... silicone is neat (I have) because it will last longer in the sun and weather. The Nikoi bladesets with trick finish (fake carbon fiber) are cute/i like... but are not one bit better for rain wiping than Trico. However, at flat out high speed the Nikoi's and other "aero" blades probably stay on the glass better (have a wing to make the wind press the blade down).
Old 07-24-2005, 05:19 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heheheheh...

The 'aero' blade assemblies may hold the insert against the windshield better at high speed from the wind forces forcing it against the glass, but if it's raining that hard, SLOW DOWN!

(Also, I suspect that the additional wind drag and drag from being pushed against the glass even harder at high speeds does nothing good for the wiper motor nor its geartrain... )

((The silicone inserts are longer lived than the more mundane rubber ones, but since they cost over 5 times as much, they should... For that price I could buy new Teflon inserts every year.))

Well, the information is out, the discussion has been had, the decisions are left to the illustrious Scion owners themselves. :D
Old 07-24-2005, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Actually the price for the silicone blades includes a new wiper body. If you can buy one blade that will last 5 or 10 years, why compare it to buying something else several times over the same period. Eventually the cost will be greater and there's the aggravation of having to change it. Plus you can get the silicone blades in colors to match or contrast your color scheme.

[qoute="scifly"]Natural rubber compound blade edges still sqeegee the best... [/quote]
I think the silicone blades squeegee better. Almost too good. If there isn't a significant amount of water on the windshield they chatter.

I'm also going to take this moment to promote Rain-x. I've been using it for years and think it's great. I can't count the number of times I've been cruising down the interstate, run into rain, and watch the cars around me slow down because they can't see while I can see just fine. It's actually quite frustrating because I can't keep the pace I prefer. If you've never tried it, go buy some.

Quick Reply: Wiper Blade Timebomb Revisited