WTF????? Is the xB for old folk???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by naoki
For a person born today, the life expectancy is 120. So if you're considered "old" at 60 and you don't die for another 60 years, what else do you have to look forward to? Except a whole lot more years of retirement bliss!
They'd better start saving for their retirement TODAY!!
Old 09-22-2004, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I ain't sayin if your 50 and over you're old. I am just sayin that I see a lot more older people driving xBs. CUT ME SOME SLACK!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2004, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member

I'm 43 and I know the target demographic is much younger for the xB but for the price what else could I get? Maybe a Civic, Corolla, xA, Focus or maybe some kind of Kia :? or a Hyundai? The car is a steal, it's a nice size for urban driving and parking (I live in Chicago) and there's tons of cargo space. An Element would have cost almost 20K by the time I would have added in the packages to get a CD player and AC. The extra power and better cargo area weren't enough for me to pay 3 or 4,000 more.

Expect to see a lot more old farts driving xBs. It's one of those rare things that's both hip and practical. :D
Old 09-23-2004, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bBlover
I ain't sayin if your 50 and over you're old. I am just sayin that I see a lot more older people driving xBs. CUT ME SOME SLACK!!!!!!!
Yes yes yes, I DO agree with you that there are a lot of "older" people driving xBs.

To more accurately and more politically correctly analyze what "old" is in the way I think you mean, I've created the "boob principle". We are refering to those who, if you considered only women, would be people who have had ***** for longer than 20 years. Considering puberty for girls can start at a time between age 10 and into the upper teens, thats a bit of leway to avoid offending anyone in particular

I have heard reports that Toyota/Scion has been able to lower the target market for new car buyers, compared to other companies... for instance Scion being at around 37 for an average age compared to an industry average 45 (just as an example).
Old 09-23-2004, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

I have sold close to 30 xB's and I have to say the only trend I noticed is that all the people (aged 16 to 86) were all cool nice hip people. The old lady who was 86 bought the hot lava and she liked the bazooka tube, and what was she jamming? Oh yes it was swing music, all 6 discs of it! But she was happy! I think the average age for our store is 23 if I did the math but the older customers were just as interested in customizing and going to meets. I say age is just a number! (side note: in La Jolla, CA there are a lot of xA's as second/third cars, and that is fine but not as exciting) If the AARP, Depends, and Wilfrid Brimley wants to sponsor an xB I say go for it! It's better than a bunch of old people in oversized cadilacs doing involuntary lane changes because they can't control their boat of a car. Well that's my $.02
Old 09-23-2004, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have to agree that most of the xBs I've seen have had drivers who appear to be at least 30 and most 45 plus. I'm 33 and I love my box.

It is just a car. Being part of a club or just being a car person <---- politically correct for once, is a state of mind. We all come here because we chose a particularly abstract looking vehicle compared to the norm. We are outside the BOX. Someone was nice enough to give us a forum to communicate, share, and above all else fellowship. I think it's a great thing no matter what age that we can all come here and be a community.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TJandBOXCARWILLIE
Damn, I'm almost 40. I must be so old, I'm a stale fart.

Hey, just because I'm almost 40 doesn't mean nothing. For instance, I haven't worn pants in over 3 years...

Why? 'Cause I always wear shorts. I have over 35 pairs of Chucks. I don't own a suit. I have no ties. I wear T-Shirts every day.

I dunno. I just think the xB is a cool car, that is not normal. Which is the way I like it.

Can't we old farts like cool cars?
you young wipersnapers [what IS that anyway" ] chap my hide! just because I am 50ish doesn't mean I won't enjoy an xB

I also have a Tacoma Double cab 4x4 highly modified [re geared, locking diffs front and rear, custom bumpers, on board air etc.] and my wife drives a Tacoma Double cab prerunner with custom bumpers and she has the FIRST Bossani muffler on a Tacoma double cab!

I have the rear spoiler, leather seats and fogs. I will be adding alloys and a fart tube...

hmm, maybe a 3 inch lift and 4wheel drive
Old 09-23-2004, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[Sarcasm]Older people are buying xBs cause the middle age - mid life crisis men can't get into the Corvettes as easy as they could when they were younger[Sarcasm] :D
Old 09-23-2004, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Woah... so xB is the new Corvette.

Hmm, I've got some punks to race now. Watch out, here I come!
Old 09-23-2004, 03:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kenshi
How old are you?

Yes old people drive xBs and young people drive xBs. Back in the days I was upset thinking the xB was not cool because some 30+ people drive it with kidz but now with 2006 just around the corner I see all these cool cars coming to America and thats because of the sale of the xBs. So I say let the old farts drive it I mean they drive Civics and Focus's and those are youth oriented cars. Think of it this way the more xBs sold the less SUVs on the road.
WTF I'm 31 and dont consider myself old!!! Bite me!!!! I'm a mechanic and I just wanted a kick ___ looking car and th xb fit the bill. You Punks better watch who you call old!! Just kidding guys! I just love driving my xB!!!
Old 09-23-2004, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Xb makes the old folks feel young again.

Its all good .

Enjoy yourself while you can
Old 09-23-2004, 08:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

not to be a punk but damn i must be one of the youngest on here .i'm only 19 almost 20. my first new car my 5th car overall i love cars . i thot the medain age for an xb would be older than me but i expected to see some young guns out here too and i guess i'm just not seein it
Old 09-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default bout that Element

I did a test-sit in the Honda showroom. That was an interest-killer for me. Imo the Element somehow seems smaller inside than the xb. And very lousy driver seat comfort, very little rearward adjustability if I recall rightly. Terrible blind spots- made worse if the rear seats are kicked up (neat feature that) for floor space.

Harder to get into the front seats. So freaking heavy compared against xB- I think for street use, city driving, etc I would not like the Element at all.

And to be really frank, I went in there LOVING the looks of the Elements I'd seen running around on the streets.

Nah- Scion xb still, for me. It's such a great little car it is everyman's car: old, young, deef and blind- you can live with the Scion and be happy to your last.

That's a coooool crossover demographic!
Old 09-23-2004, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by darrek
Expect to see a lot more old farts driving xBs. It's one of those rare things that's both hip and practical. :D
Yesh, I can dig that.

And it looks off da hook.

If you can wrap yer brain around that, yo.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can see nothing wrong with using Depends for seat covers. I have not yet found seat covers for the drivers seat which will work with the side air bags. Perhaps I can make a custom seat cover for the drivers seat with Depends. I have enough duct tape on hand so only have to get some Depends. Thanks for the idea.

PS--Although I am 67 years young I am not dribbling yet. My problem is coffee cups, soda pop cans/bottles and snacks. However I am uncertain of the containment capability of my dog so Depends on the passenger seat might be appropriate.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UnFocused
Look at new Civic owners- They are all "old"
But the young ones swap the motors

The first time I saw an xB was at the 2003 Nopi Nationals. Some old white couple were driving it. The first xB I saw in town (I still thought they were butt ugly at this time) was driving by an older man (50's) . It doesn't bother me at all. The car is comfortable, cheap, spacious, and should be reliable. I recommend everyone buy an xB :D
Old 09-23-2004, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by boilerman
I have not yet found seat covers for the drivers seat which will work with the side air bags.
I thought the side air bag this was a type-o :?
Old 09-23-2004, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
N.G.S.O.

Actually I just read the marketing data on the Xb and the average age is 36. Compare this to the average age of almost any other car on the road today and you'll note that it is lower.

Yes there are old people driving, but you only notice them... Take a look around you. There are LOTS of old people driving now adays.

BTW, I'm exactly the median age at 36... Sold an Audi TT to get more room for the baby, and haven't looked back. I've been a car nut since I was about 5 and have owned a lot of great cars... Thiis one is about as fun to own as any I've had.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Tuning69
[Sarcasm]Older people are buying xBs cause the middle age - mid life crisis men can't get into the Corvettes as easy as they could when they were younger[Sarcasm] :D
sarcasm my A*S I got my scion because the daily climb into my 4X4 was too PAINFUL, and I needed something I could get into with my arthritic hip
Old 09-24-2004, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DanS
... I got my scion because the daily climb into my 4X4 was too PAINFUL, and I needed something I could get into with my arthritic hip
You've got that right.

3 bears: too hot / too cold / just right.

Mini or Camry too low / SUV too high / xB just right. RPM

Quick Reply: WTF????? Is the xB for old folk???