Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

XB Air Conditioning--"Re-Tooled" in '05?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 10:08 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well from what i heard to get any real proformance out of the a/c is not to use it in city driving i think thats bs there!!!

and only really use it on the highway

as that saying goes a/c uses up your hp more bs lol
Old 05-15-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Boxer Rebellion
Strange... the AC works great in my 05, and no real noticeable power loss when on. Guess I got lucky...
I agree... We had a couple of days in the upper 80's with humidity to match... The box gets cool inside on the second fan setting with no problem.... I also don't notice a big drag if any on accel or at idle. Nice. It also leaves a nice puddle of water whenever I stop which means the unit is cooling well and causing lots of condensation... Mine is an 05
Old 05-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The A/C in my xB seems to be a good match for the car, but there hasn't been any really warm weather to test it's limits, yet...

I DO have a serious problem with the operation of the controls for it, though. (see the "Dear Scion" section...)

(I seem to recall the air conditioning compressor in my old Chrysler Corp. car was almost as big as the ENGINE in my xB --- it looked a lot like somebody had mounted a Harley engine next to my 426...

That thing DID suck a lot of HP - about twenty IIRC... Of course in a car with enough HP to light a city half the size of Seattle, one didn't notice all that much...)

Old 05-16-2005, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YuiEdie
Ben using AC from day one, kept us cool so far. Added filter too, prolly need to change it though weird odor smell when I first turn on car. Damn this hot weather, record highs man! Just wondering, is there more dust/debris when you rool down windows compared to using AC?

is there more dust/debris when you rool down windows compared to using AC?
yes, much more. see, the a/c cooling coils are finned like a radiator

the fins are closely spaced and wet with condensation. this washes the air to a lrge extent.

weird odor smell when I first turn on car.
we live in similr climates. we two use our a/c a lot. the coils remain wet. during off-time, mildew grows. bacteria, too. it's an swamp in there. black and red and green glop. what you smell are the mildew spores and the bacterial outgassings.

knowlege does not always bring comfort to bigmoldkahunas. your filter is a pre-filter? It should be kept clean and YES it does help slow the growth of the mold and bacterial colonies in there. It filters out some of their food supply.

It would be good, but perhaps difficult to clean the evaporator (that's what it's called) fins. Check with a residential a/c company to see what they spray on moldy coils to disinfect and clean 'em.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah id have to say props to toyota for at least fixing it no?
Old 05-18-2005, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i checked mine...mine blasts brrrr c-c-cold air...and my car still vrooooms just fine.