Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

XB: Jerk Magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member

Default XB: Jerk Magnet?

Im sorry to bring this up, but it is an ongoing problem with me and im just trying to find others with the same problem.

When I had my 71 buick skylark, people would always stare and think it was a car with great potential. Adults and Kids alike loved it, even though it was a rust bucket. I had nothing but good reactions with that car.

So now I finnaly got my XB. It seems like everyone under 30 in a ugly civic with not painted body panels (No offence to people with civics that are done right) want to start sh*t with me. They give me dirty looks and rev their engines when im at a stoplight. They would not DARE do that with my skylark 350! I put my car on car domain and instantly i get flames, inflamitory guestbook reviews and the like. My car is tottaly stock at the moment to!

I just dont get it. As an american,V8 car owner all my life, my veiws on the "hooptie, tuner crowd" were bias, I admit. The minute I find a cool car that japan offers and buy it, It seems that my veiws are now true. Is there any hope. Did I just get myself into a world of over-compinsating thugs that would rather fight than be respectfull motorists. I have no interest in steet racing, I am perfectly happy with my endowment.

I know you guys are out there. Some of the coolest people i have met were guys/gals with imports that were tastefull and sleek, but I just cant take it anymore from these wanna-tuners.

am I doomed to a life of jerks with this car?

How can I stop it?

Is everyone getting this kind of welcome from the hooptie crowd?

Thanks for viewing
Old 08-23-2004, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member

you sound scared
Old 08-23-2004, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't trip off those guys (on the streets and on cardomain)... it's not worth the effort to get ____ed off... they're just upset that your STOCK box grabs all the attention away from the half-assed/unpainted/mismatched/played-out bodykit and giant aluminum wing on their ride... as far as i'm concerned all the "revving" and lame cardomain comments are a desperate plea for attention that they could not aquire from their own "fast and furious" race-inspired vehicles...

as far as stopping it... it'll happen over time... i've had mine since sept '03(in cali), lots of others around here have had them since june '03... so over here, people are more or less used to seeing them... also it's just a matter of time before the above mentioned assclowns has a friend/relative/co-worker/etc get a "sky-on"... this will eventually give those uneducated individuals a chance to really see what these cars are all about...

until then... enjoy your ride...
Old 08-23-2004, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member

kinda strange since i had a ful kitted car w/ the works and a supercharger. car didn't get much attention except people who knew something about cars. but my scion is grabbing freaking attention left and right. little girls wave at me. [really weird]. old ladies and men. rich people w/ bimmers always say "wanna trade". it's really trippy how much more feedback i got on this car. especially when all i've done is lowered my car. i've gotten no neg feedback btw. so..it might just be your area?? lol.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I also get tons of attention in my xB. Everyone wants to look at it or sit in it or something everywhere I go................of course, I'm a woman so I don't get guys wanting to race - just drooling!!! LOL
Old 08-23-2004, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So these bozos are getting all bent out of shape by a micro van. It just shows what hollow little lives they lead.

Without getting too deep into psychology, it sounds like a classic case of fearing what they don't understand. You don't fit into a handy pigeon hole for them. You're not a rodder or a ricer, they don't know where you're coming from. In a very primal, tribal way, they feel threatened by change and an unknown form of competition -- even if you don't think you're competing.

Though they don't fully understand, they sense instinctively that your weird little boxmobile has the potential to attract women in ways their testosterone-fueled automotive machismo can't. The xB is new, different and (shudder) cute -- all things girls are naturally drawn to.

Your choice of ride thumbs your nose at their cherished symbols of verility -- swooping lines, screaming power, smoke and noise... Never mind that their vehicles might not live up to their own ideals. Your slow, "cute" box tells them you reject the things they aspire to.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Default Had same reaction

I was driving around yesterday in my new Xb and some guy in a hail damaged rusted out grand am was laughing at my car. I have had a ton of people tell me how cool it looks. My father in law loves the car, we took him for a ride and he couldn't belive all of the standard features. Don't let the kids in the rusty civics that are hopped up with a fart can, huge wing and different coloured body pannels get to you. They just wish they could have a new car.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Re: XB: Jerk Magnet?

Originally Posted by Helporb
How can I stop it?
Ignore them.
People who have to point and laugh or flamepost you on car domain must have issues of some sort. Voicing your opinion is one thing, but trying to belittle somebody (to make yourself feel/look better :? ) is a cry for help, or an asswhoopin'
I'd just let it slide, like water off a duck back.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I think you have to be pretty secure with yourself to be able to say "you know what my car isnt fast, but its still pretty f'ing sweet." people driving riced out civics just can't admit that to themsleves, even though a civic with a bunch of mods still isnt that fast.

Being able to admit that a car doesnt have to be really fast to be cool is quite an accomplishment for all of us, at least in my opinion.

anyway, what is a girl going to get into first, a civic or a scion? pretty easy question.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member

yeah dont trip on those guys. There just Jealous Cuz were cool and there not :D
Old 08-23-2004, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's simple, the people that act like that are the true ricers.
Back in Tn, anytime I would go out in my show vehicle, at what seems like every red light, there would always be some idiot in there civic with a 3 foot high wing, $400 rims and loud exhaust wanting to race. I would just let them go on and think, that they just smoked me.

You don't need to worry about people that hate, it's just because they don't have something as nice as what you got, Jealous people suck!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just chill. After all, they're just cars.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:21 PM

Not to sound like i found a 'fix' to this problem, but one time i was dealing with one of these _______s (there are PLENTY of them here in MD). All i did was as he was revving his POS, the light changed and I laid down a 2 or so second peel in my xB and took off. he sat at the light for another 10 seconds.

seems that lately, i haven't had any more problems.

Old 08-23-2004, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I like to rev with em and then let 'em take off like bozos as i cruise out at regular speed. I don't get too many "tuners" around my area, or at least I don't run into many, but I get a lot of people in fast cars worrying about me at the line with them. it's like someone said above, fear of the unknown quantity...

And maybe the ricers didn't challenge your Heavy Metal, but i bet other big V-8s did...
Old 08-24-2004, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I've got an idea, go get one of those hand held air horns (like the kind for boats) and the next time somebody revs on you point it at them and give them a one or two second blast.
If their window is down they'll probably **** themselves. :twisted:
Old 08-24-2004, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I've had the opposite....generally people tend to be positive towards me and my ride. Yeah there are people out there who think the xB is ugly, but I don't really find very many people hating on it.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, ive had nothing but positive comments about my Xb, except when i was testdriving, some teenanged girl and her punkazz boyfriend in a big azz dodge truck was screaming off of a freeway off ramp and they straight ran a stopsign and i was right in there path....she got on the brakes hard and locked all 4...then she starts screaming stuff like, "learn how to drive...thats an ugly azz car!!! and her boyfriend is just sitting there laughing..
but get this, after the test drive, they just happen to roll by the dealership again and and she starts taunting my friends and i....to her surprise, we start walking to their car....her boyfriend signals to her like, "GO!!! GO!!!"......MAN, WHAT A WUSS.....LOL, my point is Xb is all about style, its forward thinking, to me, I left alot of the racer, drifter, mentality behind when i had my daughter 2years ago..
i was looking for an economical car with a very unique look, something that satisfies my taste in JDM cars (btw im in the process of rebadging, and all interior pieces, excluding the colomn shifter and rh conversion)...thats my flavor. So if the Xb is your flavor, dont let anyone else judge your decission...
Oh..btw, lots of people who pick up civics or even ae86, for that matter finally figure out, you need skill to make these cars work to their full potential, just cuz you got a shell that looks cool doesnt mean you are...lol..
first hand experience both in the honda scene and the now saturated drift scene..
lots of takumi wannabes out there. It takes skill at tuning and driving to make these cars fast, if you just look the part, your just fakin the funk.
mah .02 cents.
jp
Old 08-24-2004, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get overwhelmingly positive reactions too. But frankly, I've gotten so sick of the attention that I rarely notice when someone is staring at my car now, either out of admiration or disgust. I look straight ahead at the stoplight because I don't really care if you love or hate my car. It's a non-issue.

Riceboyz won't rev up on you in a Skylark because they know their hamster wheel engines with 80 lbft of torque have no chance against you.

These losers are all about appearances and image--- that's why they put $2000 into a 10 year old Civic worth $1000 and none of it increases performance. That's why the radical body kits--- you need that to draw attention to your Civic when there are 900,000 that look just like it on the road.

Then along comes a new, revvy, hamster-engine rice car that gets all kinds of attention, looks like nothing else and doesn't even need a body kit or 3 level adjustable carbon fiber wing to attract attention.

It's simple.

They are either jealous, or you've encountered the 1/1,000,000 of these sacks of crap who has actually put money into his engine instead of Altezzas and 25 lbs of vinyl stickers and he wants to see what the xB can do.

Odds are they are jealous that you have a new *Asian* car that attracts attention and no one wants to look at their sorry '88 Civic DX with the primer gray cow catcher on the front anymore.

Just ignore 'em. They aren't worth the effort to even think about.

Old 08-24-2004, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

most civic owners are like most mustang owners thinking they're different by being like everyone else.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member

The Saint, That is the best, and funniest thing ive heard so far!!!!!!. Thanks for the posts guys.[/quote]

Quick Reply: XB: Jerk Magnet?