First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Xb redesign brings 25% sales volume decline

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
... the gen1 and gen2 are two completely different cars. you can't even compare them...
No comparison. I wanted something a little bigger, safer, more roadworthy for long trips. If Scion had added the usual improvements to the gen1, I would have bought the new model. Improvements such as a 1.8L, better looking front end, side air bags, factory cruise and moonroof, maybe a few inches more in the trunk. But the gen2 was improved too much, and was so deliberately and weirdly styled and chopped, that I had to get a Forester. Not only that, the gen2 doubled my expense because I could not bear to part with the neat little gen1, so now I have two cars.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
Originally Posted by midtowndesi
... the gen1 and gen2 are two completely different cars. you can't even compare them...
No comparison. I wanted something a little bigger, safer, more roadworthy for long trips. If Scion had added the usual improvements to the gen1, I would have bought the new model. Improvements such as a 1.8L, better looking front end, side air bags, factory cruise and moonroof, maybe a few inches more in the trunk. But the gen2 was improved too much, and was so deliberately and weirdly styled and chopped, that I had to get a Forester. Not only that, the gen2 doubled my expense because I could not bear to part with the neat little gen1, so now I have two cars.
Its funny that you think that about the gen 1's because for the most part that what the owner love about theirs, everything you said you disliked, but its one of those love it or hate it situations, rarely any middle ground so I see where your coming from here
Old 01-05-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I personally really like how the 1st xBgeneration look. It was a bold move on Toyota's part to bring it over to the US and I think the 2nd generation, although it looks good, is a step backwards in design.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SpoonKiller
I personally really like how the 1st xBgeneration look. It was a bold move on Toyota's part to bring it over to the US and I think the 2nd generation, although it looks good, is a step backwards in design.
Yeah, wherever theres a Gen1, its stands out from the crowd. It has a definite sense of style! Like a Mini Cooper or a Delorean. Not everyone's taste, but an eye catching conversation starter.

Gen2, time will tell. Different market segment now, with different buyer demographics.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boostedbox06
... Its funny that you think that about the gen 1's because for the most part that what the owner love about theirs, everything you said you disliked...
There is not one thing I dislike about the gen1. I just love the car. I got another car that could do some things better, but could not part with the gen1.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by boostedbox06
... Its funny that you think that about the gen 1's because for the most part that what the owner love about theirs, everything you said you disliked...
There is not one thing I dislike about the gen1. I just love the car. I got another car that could do some things better, but could not part with the gen1.
i hear you, i wasn't trying to knock you at all, I was agreeing in a sense, just adding some of my own, lol
Old 01-06-2008, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wish the xd was the new xb!i really like the xd!
Old 01-06-2008, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

the xD has some serious potential...
Old 01-06-2008, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by daneisthegreatest
I want to see scion do something like the xBT concept or something with an open deck because those bB OD's are gorgeous
Agreed, The open decks were downright SEXY! They could have sold a bunch of those too if ya ask me.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I wanted something a little bigger, safer, more roadworthy for long trips.
Dude, you really gotta quit complaining about the xB NOT being good on long trips. The xB is AWSOME for long trips! It's the first car I've owned that can make long (600 mile +) trips feel much shorter. You reach your destination refreshed and ready to do whatever.

It would be nice that maybe sometime in the future they could bring back the xB. Only slightly different and with more motor. That would be basically what the xB2 should have been if they were gonna keep the name going.
When people ask me what kind of Scion I have I always have to specify now, the real one. It's a shame that we have to do that now. Thanks a bunch Scion corp.!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
I wanted something a little bigger, safer, more roadworthy for long trips.
Dude, you really gotta quit complaining about the xB NOT being good on long trips. The xB is AWSOME for long trips! It's the first car I've owned that can make long (600 mile +) trips feel much shorter. You reach your destination refreshed...
I took a 2500-mile trip last year, with 600 miles one day. I am not complaining at all. The xB was a lot of fun and kept me awake, though not refreshed. It is what it is. For me, it is as much fun as a motorcycle, which is one reason I kept the xB after getting a larger Forester. Last year I almost stopped riding the motorycle, because the xB with the windows down and the sunroof open was just as much fun but safer, and can be ridden/driven all year.

But for traveling far and fast, the xB is low on power, buzzy and jiggly. On the Interstate, 80 mph at 4000 rpm does not feel like a relaxed, comfortable, long-legged cruising speed. On long steep grades on 2-lane mountain roads, it could not hold speed even downshifted into 4th gear. There are few safe opportunities on the rural 2-lane roads of the East to pass someone doing 60 mph. And in case of an accident, the xB is very light, has a short front end and no side airbags.

For our annual 900-mile dash to FL, my wife's Buick LeSabre is a better road car, floating over the road at 80 mph turning 2000 rpm with plenty of power still left in passing gear, getting 28 mpg. And on the tour that I am planning for the length of the Rockies, the Forester should be better than both the xB and the LeSabre.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

FYI, the new xB is doing it's job and everything is just fine here on Scion Island. Remember, Scion STOPPED producing xB's in Dec of 2006 and didn't START production until March of 2007. This means that as a dealer, I only had a few remaining cars in the 1st gen come January and by February I was SOLD OUT. I didn't receive my first 2nd gen until June. That's a full 5 months or so with ZERO inventory. With 50% of the year with no cars to sell and only dropping 25%, I call that and INCREASE in sales.

I'll get off my pedestal now. I just get tired of people tryinf so hard to make things seem like they are bad. Pessimism doesn't do much for me!
Old 01-06-2008, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On the Interstate, 80 mph at 4000 rpm does not feel like a relaxed, comfortable, long-legged cruising speed.
Yours must be a five speed. My '06 auto turns 3.2k @ 80mph which gets done quite a bit here in Los Angeles traffic. Average freeway speeds are 70~75. Granted, reserve power for passing is not plentiful...one must plan ahead and drive as if it were a 100 hp 4 cylinder engine.

For our annual 900-mile dash to FL, my wife's Buick LeSabre is a better road car, floating over the road at 80 mph turning 2000 rpm with plenty of power still left in passing gear, getting 28 mpg.
Agreed. My wife's Mercedes C300 will do 100 mph all day with power to spare at 27mpg. Quiet and smooth as can be. Yes, I would rather drive a long distance in the Benz than the box. BUT, we are then comparing a 35K luxo ride with a 15K econo box.

All things considered-without having driven one-I feel that the Gen2 xB should excel when it comes to comfort, braking and power. Both generations are great for what they were designed to do!
Old 01-06-2008, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But for traveling far and fast, the xB is low on power, buzzy and jiggly. On the Interstate, 80 mph at 4000 rpm does not feel like a relaxed, comfortable, long-legged cruising speed. On long steep grades on 2-lane mountain roads, it could not hold speed even downshifted into 4th gear.
On my 5-spd, cruising is loud at 70-75mph, but that sucker is always ready to pass. How can you say it has no passing power at 4000k. (Unless your loaded down with 3 passengers and 200 lbs of gear)?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by typhoonorchid
... How can you say it has no passing power at 4000k. ...
Did I say that?
When I look at my post, I only see "There are few safe opportunities on the rural 2-lane roads of the East to pass someone doing 60 mph."
If that is not clear, what I meant is that the xB has less power than is desirable for passing a car (or truck) at 60 mph on the 2-lane rural roads in places like KY, PA, NY, and New England, where sight lines and passing distances can be short (nor are the roads always level). There are other cars that are better at passing, because they have more power.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Plenty of passing power in the xb. Maybe you shouldn't be passing people in unsafe locations.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

vintage42....maybe you should boost! haha i love the way my car pulls in 5th with the t/c spooling lol just a suggestion, doubt it will be taken seriously tho.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zombietime
Plenty of passing power in the xb. Maybe you shouldn't be passing people in unsafe locations.
With more power, more passing locations would be safe.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With more power, more passing locations would be safe.
QFT!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I always liked the 1st gen xb, but going from a tc to a 1st gen would have been downgrading in power/etc, which I was not going to do. When the 2nd gen came out, I test drove it and traded in the tc within a few weeks. I think it's way more comfortable, power is the same as the tc, handling is better, and with what I have done/will do I like the way it looks more then the tc. I can also actually fit things, including people, comfortably in it

Quick Reply: Xb redesign brings 25% sales volume decline