Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Is the xB a sleeper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Is the xB a sleeper?

Would you consider a heavily power modded xB to be a sleeper? My definition of a sleeper being a car that accelerates quickly that doesn't look like it should. Like doing an engine swap and putting nos in a 1985 Buick Regal or something.

I ask because even driving a stock box, you get your share of streetlight racers who seem to itch to kill you. Or simply the punk in the civic with an exhast who tailgates you. It happens to all of us. I question if the public actually thinks that the xB has a more powerful engine in it, that they don't know the engine is somewhat underpowered.

Therefore, for a power-modded xB, basically, it would only be catching up to the publics expectations. Agree? No? Would you even WANT your power modded xB to be considered a sleeper, or is that a negative term considering how new the car is?
Old 08-16-2004, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH - even after a turbo and nitrious, the box would be about as fast as an accord

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH/ Yes, I guess you could consider it a sleeper because sometimes I wonder if my engine is asleep when I stomp on the gas pedal.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, it's a sleeper....problem is, it never wakes up!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I don't think it's a sleeper, in fact it is the exact opposite. It looks like its sporty and quick and thats why you've got the little jokers challenging you. If it was a sleeper, they wouldn't give it a second thought, until you blast by them.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, alright, thread should have been titled differently. I meant it much more theoretically, far and beyond what anyone has done with the car.

I was more inquiring about perceptions about the car, what you think the public currently believes is under the hood (the car is still new, I meet people every day who havent seen one yet), if that preception becomes a reason to dream about modding it to that extreme... or okay... just simply WHY does it seem to ME at least (to answer my own questions)... that people seem to think the car is fast... perhaps they just know its slow as **** and that gives them reason to egg ya on...

Everytime someone posts something about a power mod in an xA/aB, at least one person flames them for idiocy, and I PREFER my box pretty much stock beyond entertainment mods, but everyone has a right to do what they want... what would be the motivating factor if not to make the car a "sleeper"?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rbloedow
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH - even after a turbo and nitrious, the box would be about as fast as an accord

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH/ Yes, I guess you could consider it a sleeper because sometimes I wonder if my engine is asleep when I stomp on the gas pedal.
WHAT!?! the wife has a GTI 1.8t, and it gets 132HP to the ground.... not bad. It accelerates really nice, and is faster than the Camaro she traded it for (92 w/ 305) with just a turbo or supercharger the xB would put down 130 or so to the ground. The xB weighs a whole lot less than the GTI, so a F/I xB would be really quick. how much Hp do you want in the little car before you'd think it was quick?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a hunch, but I don't think people see the xB and assume it is a fast car. I also don't think it's performance is going to surprise anyone.

I think it's probably about as fast as people expect it would be. About average in it's class.

As far as making it a sleeper, I think you'd need an engine swap for that. There is only so much you can do with 1500 cc's. Even with a turbo or supercharger you're not going to be nipping at the heels of WRX's.

An xB with a 2ZZ-GE swap would be a sleeper.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fireballfish
Originally Posted by rbloedow

WHAT!?! the wife has a GTI 1.8t, and it gets 132HP to the ground.... not bad. It accelerates really nice, and is faster than the Camaro she traded it for (92 w/ 305) with just a turbo or supercharger the xB would put down 130 or so to the ground. The xB weighs a whole lot less than the GTI, so a F/I xB would be really quick. how much Hp do you want in the little car before you'd think it was quick?
Are you kidding - most dynos put t5he xB anywhere from 92-97hp at the wheels - a near 40 hp gain from a supercharger on an engine this small is a PIPE DREAM.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To answer your question, people don't know what the hell to make of our boxes. For the light-to-light ricers, they see it as another kill story, which isn't a big accomplishment given our engines. But until word reaches ALL of the masses, you are going to have a lot of these L2L Ricers being stupid. In fact, I know a BCP that rolled down his window and told the ricer to move out of his way. The ricer didn't know what to make of being turned down and damn near hit the sidewalk while scratching his head.

Do they think that we could be sleepers? Sure, mostly because ignorance breeds fear. They don't know what the hell our boxes can do, so they prejudge and rev.

To our credit, there are 10+ second boxes (I forgot where I saw your track time pix bro.) and weekend warriors that run 16 seconds. I myself do a two minute run...to get cigarettes.

I'll say it again, Do they think that we could be sleepers? Sure, mostly because ignorance breeds fear.

Opinions?
Old 08-17-2004, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i think the car handles well for what it looks like..
that itself is a sleeper!

most people under estimate the handling power of the xB..
u can spank them on turns LOL
Old 08-17-2004, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

With a turbo it deffinately helps push it closer to being labled as a sleeper. I mean it isn't fast but it's fast enough. Some of my kills with the turbo are a early 90's 5.0 V8 mustang, an F150, a ricer honda civic 5 speed, a lexus rx 330, and came close to beating a highly moddified v6 camaro 5 speed at 100mph he started pulling me.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Yes its a sleeper (kind of)

I was on an 1/8 drag and beat two hondas. My fastest time was quicker than 3/4 of the cars out there. I have caught a lot of cars off guard when I take off.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A car has to be fast to be a sleeper!

As for Buick Regals, perhaps you should look up Buick T-type and Grand National and GNX, they made insanely fast Turbo V6 ones in the 80s that will nearly rip every muscle car to shreds. Some dude at my school had a Grand National and with 4 fat dudes in a car he lit up that parking lot with 2 massive black tire marks. It was insane.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Hey MATCHBOX! Is that a 10.7 1/8th mile with your supercharger?
Old 08-17-2004, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I say drop in the corolla 1.8L & supercharge that. Put a header on it to. You would have almost the same HP as the celica 1.8L but you will have that power lower in the rev range. Also you would have way more TQ then the celica so you could pull hard from down low also. That would make a sleeper. Also to keep a car in the frame of sleeper it needs to look as close to stock as can be.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have only had my xb for a few weeks now and have already had a couple riced up civics pull up next to me at lightsand rev their engines like they want to race. They usually also point and laugh (like their big ___ sniper body kits really looks "cool"). Most of the time i put it in neutral (its an auto) and rev the engine. when the light changes, i go nice and slow, I can't wait until I get a civic a ticket.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chucksu
I say drop in the corolla 1.8L & supercharge that. Put a header on it to. You would have almost the same HP as the celica 1.8L but you will have that power lower in the rev range. Also you would have way more TQ then the celica so you could pull hard from down low also. That would make a sleeper. Also to keep a car in the frame of sleeper it needs to look as close to stock as can be.
That is a better choice.

Alot of people don't know this, but according to Toyota's own numbers, a Matrix with a supercharged 1ZZ-FE is a second faster to 60 than a regular 2ZZ-GE!

Even though the 2ZZ has 180 hp on paper, it has everything on the top end and no torque, like a gutless early 1990's VTEC. The supercharged 1ZZ has 160 hp or so, but it gets its power early on and with gobs of tire twisting torque.

The appeal of the 2ZZ to me is just it's revvy nature, but every indication says that a supercharged 1ZZ would be the better daily driver AND faster in any situation to boot.

Problem is, for an engine swap, you are talking about an additional $3k for a supercharger on top of the cost of the long block

Honestly, I'd love an xB with just a 1ZZ-FE in it. That would be a borderline sleeper right there. It's too bad Toyota couldn't/didn't do that. I'd tolerate the 1-3 mpg hit to have 130-140 hp naturally aspirated man...
Old 08-17-2004, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member

All due respect, there is no way in hell an turbo or supercharged xb will smoke a late 80s or early 90s mustang 5.0. Are you sure it was not a four or six? I use to own one. Maybe the driver of the stang did not not know he was racing. I agree with you in your other conquests. I am not trying to be a player hater. What else have you done to your box?
Old 08-17-2004, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can u say aerodynamics?

driving a xb is like driving a brick wall down the road :?
Old 08-17-2004, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nest
Originally Posted by chucksu
That is a better choice.

Alot of people don't know this, but according to Toyota's own numbers, a Matrix with a supercharged 1ZZ-FE is a second faster to 60 than a regular 2ZZ-GE!

Even though the 2ZZ has 180 hp on paper, it has everything on the top end and no torque, like a gutless early 1990's VTEC. The supercharged 1ZZ has 160 hp or so, but it gets its power early on and with gobs of tire twisting torque.

The appeal of the 2ZZ to me is just it's revvy nature, but every indication says that a supercharged 1ZZ would be the better daily driver AND faster in any situation to boot.

Problem is, for an engine swap, you are talking about an additional $3k for a supercharger on top of the cost of the long block

Honestly, I'd love an xB with just a 1ZZ-FE in it. That would be a borderline sleeper right there. It's too bad Toyota couldn't/didn't do that. I'd tolerate the 1-3 mpg hit to have 130-140 hp naturally aspirated man...
I dont see how you would take a hit in MPG. If they take the same engine & tranny from the corolla that weighs 2,530 & put it into the xB that weighs 2,395 the gas milage should stay about the same. Also TRD claims that if you have the S/C on the corolla & take it easy you could get even better gas milage. So im just wondering is the drag on the box really enough to take a 3mpg hit?

Edit: Now do you mean take a 3mpg hit from what the xB gets now or what a corolla gets? If you take a 3mpg hit with the corolla numbers that would be 29mpg in town & 39mpg on the freeway. So overall that would be the same or better then the xB. As a side note I have been on a gas milage forum where a guy with a rolla got 45mpg as a average

Quick Reply: Is the xB a sleeper?