Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

xb (suprised at amount of low speed damage)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congratulations. The more time you spend with it, the more time you're gonna want to spend with it!! I love cars with personalities; you won't be dissapointed.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

you will love the car...try not to mod it...i dare you
Old 11-28-2006, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

hummers dont get dents, they give dents.... hummers ARE dents.

what would an xb look like if it was hit by a hummer?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member

In reality, it's an economy car. If you're buying it to drive and not worry about, then do just that. There are plenty of cosmetically challenged vehicles out there that have been rode hard and put up wet. Maybe you should buy two of them. One to "drive" and one to love....
Old 11-28-2006, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you do in fact purchase an xB i'm sure you'll have loads of fun with it. . . . . and odds are you'll become like most of us here and start sinking money into little mods.

However I would like to throw out that the entire Scion line is developed with the youth market in mind. It's not really designed to look good after kids have had their go at it (just ask my dad . . . . Me and my sister made sure any car he had maintained obvious signs of kid-dom). Keep in mind i'm not saying it won't do well with kids as I know some xB's that shuttle kids daily. I'm just saying they are thin skinned little cars (as are most Japanese cars) and won't take kid punishment like a Caravan or Explorer will tolerate.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

shes in love with it, after you do the first mod to it, she'll have to go get her own lol
Old 11-28-2006, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Another problem with the Element is the suicide doors and the attachment of the safety belts. If you have the kids in the back, and want to let them out on the non-traffic side (passenger side), SOMEONE has to open the front door so the rear will open. If there is a front seat passenger, they also need to remove their belts to open the doors. Even if you let them out on the driver's side, into traffic, you need to unfasten your belt, open the front, then the rear door. Poor design, poor engineering. Not "Family Friendly."
Tomas

Do this in a couple of rainstorms, and it gets old quick.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I could see where that's not "family friendly" but again, the Element isn't targeted at the family market. It's targeted at young adults that want a stylish utility-esque vehicle for things like camping and hauling band equipment in. Ironically, they priced it out of most their target markets range.

One thing I can say for it . . . the Element is tough. My mom has one that she hauls her Huskies (she breeds them) back and forth in. I can only imagine how ravaged an xB would be under such abuse. Her element still looks pretty good considering.

That interior is very tough. And without the back seats in it there's LOTS of room.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

One a related note. When I got my xB and drove it by her work. One of her co-workers looked at mom's Element, looked at my xB and said "so I guess love of boxy vehicles is genetic".
Old 11-28-2006, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't forget the next gen xB is coming out in maybe 6 months, and if you stay tuned to the forums, you will most likely see a picture of it next month. It will be bigger from the spyshots we've seen. It may be more what you're after.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:58 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While it's true that the Element is not 'targeted' at being 'family friendly,' iKevin, my answer was targeted at the family looking at the vehicles.

Tomas
Old 11-29-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to the site! Lots of good information here. I agree with most of what has been said, very versitile care, lots of space inside. I would take a look at new xBs, though, as it seems as they are not much more than used ones. Sometimes used ones can cost more, depending on what someone else has already added to it. I had nothing added on to my car, at a good price, and am starting to add things to it myself, as I can. We have no kids, but our Black Lab mix (Andy) rides in it regularly, he doesn't do much damage to it, just a lot of black hair from him in the car.