First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

xB vs xB2.. dun dun dun.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 10:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB vs xB2.. dun dun dun.....

xB1 owners, do you love your xB less since the release of xB2? Or.. Do you love it more? I'm not asking which one you think is better.. I dont' want to start a debate between 1st and 2nd Gen owners. What I want to know is this...

1. Any regrets not waiting for the new one?
2. Did you change your mind about the xB2 since you've seen actual photos?
3. If given the chance to choose one feature from the new one to apply to the 1st Gen what would it be. and vice versa...
4. 1st Gen owners do you feel inferior to the lil' monster engine that the xB2 have?
5. Would you trade your xB if you are given the chance?

Again I don't want to start a debate which one is better, I just want to see how people feel about the new xB's. No bashing please. We all could appreciate the uniqueness of both vehicles.

As for myself, I'm going to be honest and say i didn't like the design of the new xB but the more and more I see pictures of it, I kinda like it. It's different, Just like the 1st Gen. The difference is that the 2nd Gen have to be accepted not only by Non-xB owners but 1st Gen owners as well.

Photo courtesy of scionlife member "toyotaisme" found in xB2 forum.

xB2 Rear Reverse Light H.I.D. Kit is now available. To blind those who dare make fun of the the one eyed monster.....
Old 05-12-2007, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. no
2. not really. i do like the interior though of the new one. hate the exterior styling though.
3. the digital tach
4. i have a bike for speed, the box is the family ride :-) wouldnt have bought it if i wanted to go fast in the car.
5. no way. still worth $1500 more KBB for trade-in than what i paid 1 year used 10k miles from a chevy dealer.

The PW 1st gen has always been my favorite of the XBs and thats what i got so im very happy with my decision
Old 05-12-2007, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. Nope
2. Yes, sort of. It's not as ugly as the stock photos make it appear. The photos people on these boards are much better (ironically enough). I still think it looks TOO MUCH like a Chevy HHR or a Honda Element - it has lost its distinctive style.
3. Bigger trunk. It looks like they made the back seat space smaller and gave the space to the trunk... one of the biggest things I liked about the xB is the rear seat space. It's comfortable for long trips.
4. I want more power, but just a little. The trade off is the gas mileage... I'm getting close to 28-30 in regular city driving, so I'm happy.
5. For an xB2? No. Maybe a 2003 Matrix if the price were right (I did try, failed).
Old 05-12-2007, 04:31 PM

I just picked up a 2006.5 new from a dealer not too long ago...I absolutely love it!

1. No, the new one is $1700 more on MSRP, not to mention any extras on taxes, that bumped it out of my price range
2. I like the 5 axis one, but to recreate that car you'd be in atleast 20k, I believe that bumps it into a whole nother realm of vehicle competition.
3. Size, I like the compact nature of the xB1, it was one of my attractions, I'm a weight freak ;)
4. I would hardly call a 2.4L 160hp engine a monster, especially in a 3000lb vehicle, I like getting my 36mpg, I think the xB2 was rated EPA at 22/28, which is not what I would be looking for in a commuter/daily driver. I have a sports car, I bought the box for what I stated above, size, fuel efficiency and above all, price.
5. No, but on that note, Scion needs to make a RWD vehicle, then I might consider a trade.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1. No, I bought my in August 2003, so I would not have wanted to wait almost 4 years.
2. Yes, the photo look better than the drawings.
3. The new xB grill is very nice. And I like the large reverse light on the bumper cover, it is similar to the new VW Bug back up like. I think that is pretty cool.
4. No, my car rocks.
5. No way, I am going to drive that car forever.

The best feature of my xB is that it is almost paid for. That is going to be hard for any new car to overcome. No more payments will be the best feature ever.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To me, the xB2 is simply a different car, designed to meet different needs. It's not better or worse. If I were shopping for a city car today, I would look at something like the Fit, or possibly the xD when it arrives; the xB2 has too big an engine and gets too poor fuel economy in city driving to even be on my list.

On the other hand, now that we're done shuttling kids around, we might well look at the xB2 or something else in its class to replace our minivan. The xB2 looks like it would be terrific for two people and their stuff on longer trips, and the highway mileage should be acceptable.

What we see here is the power of labeling. They call it "xB" so even we, who KNOW they are two different cars with nothing in common, can't resist endlessly comparing them.

R
Old 05-12-2007, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

make no mistake, xb2 is ugly stock but w/ a kit it is goona be killer. Im a bit jealous of the 2nd dome light, nav option, computer features, and power, but our styling is better. i also had no idea the fuel economy was so terrible. i really dont even know why its still being called an xb, its a whole diff car. totally american-ized
Old 05-12-2007, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Simply put, I love my xB MORE now that I've experienced the new one.
I don't regret waiting, I wouldn't consider selling mine.
I was SO DISGUSTED with the larger engine & lower mpg and Element-esque styling.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

1) no, its out of my price range and besides, this box is sexy!

2) a little, first i was "wtf were they thinking" then "well i guess its ok" and now im " ill have to see it in person". once ive seen it then ill make up my mind, but it is still not as great as ours.

3) i agree; that digal speedo is pretty cool, but id say cruise control. dont have it, wish i did. actually... i like my box the way it is! if i want it, ill mod it! i think the new xB lost some orignality. and lose that ugly auto shifter!

4) inferior? superior is more correct! i get like 27 mpg street, and thats gunning it sometimes too. with the new engine, id be at 24 or less! i cant do that! too poor to spend ANY MORE MONEY ON GDM GAS!

5) nah. its cool, its unique ish, but its not for me. but then again that was part of scions plan; to capture a new market and get those people who ALMOST got an xB.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

First off mad props for constructing this topic very well!

1. Non whatsoever because the xB2 was non existent 3 years ago.
2. Nope, the actual pics made it more concrete that I had zero interest in the new one.
3. Prolly just the drive train. It'd be neat to see how fast the 1st gen would be with that power level. Only problem is mpgs might suffer too.
4. Not at all considering I won't be racing them. Monster is a stretch tho.
5. Never! It ain't going anywhere in the next 20 years plus.

The new xB is unique if you could call it that. I hope the folks that get them can find their way to loving them the same way we love the 1st gens.

It's all about choosing what you love and loving what you chose. I may warm up to them after I see one in person.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. None whatsoever.
2. No, I still don't care for it. The xB1's got that JDM thing going for it; the xB2 feels too American to me.
3. From the xB2—>xB1, I'd like the side airbags. From the xB1—>xB2, the fuel efficiency.
4. I'm getting 32mpg. How can I feel inferior?
5. Nuh-uh. Nada chance.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. No regrets
2. I am starting to warm up to it a bit...need to see one in person.
3. not much I would need from xB2, but xB2 needs better gas mileage...especially when gas is going for $3.19 right now.
4.No Way!! xB2 might be a bit quicker, but I'm still the original here...
5.I've already been given the chance...nope...at least not til I get bored modding and want to start over
Old 05-13-2007, 01:48 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nicely framed questions, Kristoffer. :D

No, I needed to change vehicles when I did, and I wanted the US version of the bB as soon as I saw a glimpse of it in the first TV commercial.
No. I got to see the xB2 in December,and I liked the look of it, liked the styling, and like some of the features a whole lot. I didn't like the increase in size, the loss of "boxiness," the loss in visibility, and the "cheap looking" silver painted, overly complex, plastic dash. I recently drove one of the xB2s, and that confirmed my feel of it. It had nice power, good brakes, decent handling, excellent noise levels, good comfort, but also had massive blindspots, very high beltline, distracting dash, and to little road feel in the steering.
3. If given the chance to choose one feature from the new one to apply to the 1st Gen what would it be. and vice versa...
xB2 > xB I would choose first the side air bags, second, the cruise control. xB > xB2 I would chose the size and boxiness
4. 1st Gen owners do you feel inferior to the lil' monster engine that the xB2 have?
No, not really. My MGs had considerably less power, as did my early Hondas and Volvos. Heck, even my one and only Porsche only had 60 HP. I've had incredibly overpowered cars and underpowered cars. With the anemic cars one learns to drive better because one has to plan ahead for such simple things as freeway merging, passing, and long hills. I enjoy the challenge, and find that my box has quite adequate power for my needs.
So long as my box is in good shape, I prefer it to the new xB2. If it comes to having to replace my box, I would have to look carefully at the options the market offers, and if nothing better showed up, I'd probably make do with an xB2, partly to stay within the Scion quality and community. In reality, I'd likely move to the xD rather than the xB2: It is slightly closer to replacing the xB, though not totally.

Bottom line is that I'm not after a longer, lower, wider, more powerful vehicle. I bought my xB specifically because it was not longer, lower, wider and more powerful.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Excellent points Tomas. I'm with you on just about every point. I like the MPG--especially right now. I think I would choose the map lights on the new xB as my feature. Bigger is not always better.......
Old 05-13-2007, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad I'm not the only one who likes the xB1 vs xB2.

It has completely lost the original Scion approach. Sometimes listening to customers is not what's better for 'society' if you want to look at it that way. They could have easily controlled the size, weight, while adding the other features desired by xB1 owners or followers.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, that's the first actual comparison photo I've ever seen. I mean, we've all seen tons of side-by-side measurement listings and silhouettes, but that's the first time I've ever seen, like, one of the new ones next to one of the old ones.

Still looks small to me. I'm pretty sure if you parked a Suburban in the background it'd make that just a teensy bit clearer.

Thanks for the comparison pic - nice to see something concrete for once.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the comparison pic - nice to see something concrete for once.
Just for the record I found this picture in one of the topics in xB2 forum. All props about the picture is forwarded to ToyotaIsMe. Thanks for the picture!

I'm glad to hear that everyone is satisfied with their 1st Gen. Tomas pretty much summed it up and I like his points. But don't stop there folks, keep it coming, maybe someone in the design department would read this and make xB3 better.

If Superman drove to fight crime.. He would drive an xB.
-Albert Einstein
Old 05-13-2007, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am very glad I got my xB1. I bought it last month, I could have waited for the xB2.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No way. I always wanted an xB ever since I saw them online a few years ago. Now I finally have one and I've had it for 2 months!

the styling has grown on me but for me I have to follow the general trend I'm seeing. I have to see one in person.

I only get to choose one????
Well if I only get to choose one it would have to be the nav system. Anyone know if that can be used in the 1st gen xb?
There are a few comfort and convenience features I wish I had on my xb however. Some of them can be done with a little modding. The map lighting, 2nd dome light, lighted glovebox (is that available in the 2nd gen?), shift light for my manual (I like having the indicator for optimal shift points), side and curtain airbags.
The fact that there is only 1 reverse light on the xb2 bugs me. I think it's ugly. I need to have symmetry when it comes to exterior lights.

4. 1st Gen owners do you feel inferior to the lil' monster engine that the xB2 have? no way, I'm done with my leadfoot, aggressive driving and looking to street race days. besides, theres always modding or engine swaps. not to mention a turbo kit!

no way!! one day the 1st gen will be known as a cult classic if not already. I see them becoming collector cars in the future[/b]
Old 05-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind that the xB2 is the result of Scion actually LISTENING to the feedback they got. They were consistantly asking "what should we change about the xB?" and getting answers. 95% of the things those people asked for they got in this new vehicle.

The problem appears to me to be that the answers came, of course, from those who were dissatisfied with the original xB design - those who wanted major changes - the ones who didn't like the xB.

Those who liked the xB were not clamoring for changes, those who didn't were, so the "NewGen xB" is the xB for xB haters - if that makes any sense.

The xB2 is a very nice vehicle, meets a lot of folks needs and wants, and is designed specifically to please the folks asking for changes. It will sell very well, no question, and it is a bargain.

It's just not a little box.

(Sadly, all the things I wanted in an updated xB are available in the current JDM bB.)

Tom

Quick Reply: xB vs xB2.. dun dun dun.....