xB vs xB2.. dun dun dun.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 04:56 AM

thats a cool blue color but it looks like a bigger 4 door gti
Old 05-17-2007, 10:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well said, as usual, Tomas...Sadly this is the xB everyone asked for...more power, rounded corners, 4 wheel disc, increased safety...etc. I am just glad I got the Gen1 when I did....We should also be glad Toyota still stands by their age old Slogan, even with Scion products. "You Want it, You Got it...Toyota"
Old 05-17-2007, 11:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, I must agree with Tomas regarding the small car feeling. Right down to owning MG's! No new XB for me.

Now, about that Smart car in Jan '08.......http://www.smartusa.com/
Old 05-17-2007, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by xBster
We should also be glad Toyota still stands by their age old Slogan, even with Scion products. "You Want it, You Got it...Toyota"
In this case it was "You want it. Hope you got it cause this ain't it"! Toyota....
Old 05-17-2007, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Is it my imagination, but...

I was at the Scion dealer with 'buseta' or 'Veronica' (depending on what mood she is in) for her 20k checkup, was hanging outside enjoying a rare nice day in Memphis and had an opportunity to stare at the butts of an FJ Cruiser and an xB2 and is it my imagination or are these two vehicles just about Twinkies? Slap an extra set of doors on an FJ, lower it and you have the new xB2. That would explain the mileage.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:50 PM

1. Any regrets not waiting for the new one?
NOPE, i didn't even know about the new xb2 when i bought mine last year.

2. Did you change your mind about the xB2 since you've seen actual photos?
i really like that comparison photo it puts things into perspective. i don't like how they got rid of that window in the way back or how it's not as boxy as the old one but i guess they had to evolve.. i still haven't actually seen one in person but i'm sure once i do my mind will be made up on which one i like better.. as for right now, i like the original xb's style..

3. If given the chance to choose one feature from the new one to apply to the 1st Gen what would it be. and vice versa...
definately the side airbags, i read in consumer reports that the xb had the worst side impact crash rating. but then again that was the ONLY bad rating it got. i'm not a big fan of the lower gas mileage due to the bigger engine, especially with the gas prices being super ridiculous these days!!

4. 1st Gen owners do you feel inferior to the lil' monster engine that the xB2 have?
i sometimes wish my xb had a bigger engine but it does fine. like i said above, bigger engine means more gas every week and i cant afford it.

5. Would you trade your xB if you are given the chance? HELLS NO!! i'll keep it and just buy another car. i have the rs3 and i want to keep it in hopes of it being a collector someday!! so as soon as i can afford a new car i'm putting this one in storage..
Old 05-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

(Like me, others have said they would like the side airbags in an original xB like package. The current JDM bB has side airbags, as does the LHD version available in much of the rest of the world - except the US - the "Materia." Pics and discussion over at the ALIVE AND WELL topic...)

Tom
Old 05-21-2007, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member

I was at a scion dealer and the guy said the 1st gen would do down in value with the release of the new one... but i think the opposite happened. It seems like everyone still loves their xbs
Old 05-21-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ali_Cat wrote:
I was at a scion dealer and the guy said the 1st gen would do down in value with the release of the new one... but i think the opposite happened. It seems like everyone still loves their xbs
IMHO there are four types of 2nd Gen Buyers:

1. xB/bB collectors that just can't get enough of the xB product. This type of buyers like the features of the original xB as much as they love the new ones. These people respect both 1st Gen and 2nd Gen since they own both. This are the type of people that I respect a lot because they don't bash on our xB's.

2. xB/bB Newbies. These type of buyers are the ones that have no idea what the original xB's good points. These are the people that think "BIGGER IS BETTER". They tend to be biased about their cars and their xB's faster,better made, and just an overall better car than the original. Maybe it is maybe it's not, but sometimes I wish they would just keep it to themselves than bash 1st Gens. But on thing I do know is that the reason why some of these 2nd Gen owners have this attitude is because of 1st Gen owners bashing their cars.

3. Soccer Moms/Dads that needs a spacious city car. The two 2nd Gen xB's I saw on the road were both owned by two guys in business suits. I am yet to see a "younger" owner out there.

4. Four but not the least, my favorite one. 2nd Gen buyers that were too late to buy their 1st Gens and settled for the 2nd Gen. These people are cool because they know how "cool" the 1st Gen are and they hope that their 2nd Gen would be cool too. Me personally I like both cars.

So, here are my thoughts.. Stop bashing each other's cars. And if someone bashes your car, take it as a compliment that they actually took time out of their lives to look at you car and say something about it. You may or may not agree, but it's all constructive criticism. If you're gonna make comments about someone's car, make legitimate ones like Tomas, when he writes something, people read, why you ask? Because he backs it up with Articles, Numbers, and Research findings. It"s okay not to like other cars but be "open" to what they say.

Respect and Appreciate each other, this is what this forum is for.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member

whoa whoa...i didn't say ANYTHING about not liking the new xb so i don't know where that came from. i agree with you, so lets not be hasty.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whoa whoa...i didn't say ANYTHING about not liking the new xb so i don't know where that came from. i agree with you, so lets not be hasty.
Haha. I didn't mean to come off like that. If anything I used your quote Because I agree with you, we all still love your xB. My previous post wasn't about your quote. Sorry about the miscommunication.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:26 AM
5 Year Member

its ok...all is forgiven. lol...
Old 05-22-2007, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member

I believe Tomas is right. All Scion did is make a car with the improvments that many of us had asked for. But it comes in a different package then alot of us pictured. Had Scion stuck to its plan of a 3 or 4 year run on a design and given it a different name. We hard core XB lovers would more than likely embraced it. But I would not give up my XB for a new one. It has alot going for it and I well be very interested to see where it goes. With Scion it well be fun to watch.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yea, shoulda waited on the RS4 xB, now I'm to 3 xB payments into one.
I hated it when I saw the pics, but once I test drove it I loved it.
3. If given the chance to choose one feature from the new one to apply to the 1st Gen what would it be. and vice versa...
xB1 better bigger trunk ... xB2 fix the blind spot
4. 1st Gen owners do you feel inferior to the lil' monster engine that the xB2 have?
Screw the gas I'm getting about the same anyway.
5. Would you trade your xB if you are given the chance?
Yes I have and glad I did.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Noodles5666 wrote

xB1 better bigger trunk ... xB2 fix the blind spot

The blind spots caused by the absence of the rear windows or is because it's longer?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

missing the rear windows
Old 05-22-2007, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by detention44
I believe Tomas is right. All Scion did is make a car with the improvments that many of us had asked for. But it comes in a different package then alot of us pictured. Had Scion stuck to its plan of a 3 or 4 year run on a design and given it a different name. We hard core XB lovers would more than likely embraced it. But I would not give up my XB for a new one. It has alot going for it and I well be very interested to see where it goes. With Scion it well be fun to watch.
i agree.

i think if it had a more boxy design, the 1st gen owners would like it more because it looked like an xb...like nothing else
Old 05-23-2007, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i bought my tc in early 05, it was parked next to a camo box with 18's from the dealer. i thought it was so cool but i boutht the tc instead. every since then i regreted not buying that box. when i seen the photos of the new xb on this site, i huried and traded in my tc for a new 06 xb before they were gone.(hence, i hated it), this was in feb 07.
it does seem to look better to me, but like many already said, it looks too much like a hhr or a pt curiser, so un scion like
i would take the bigger engine from the new xb and apply it to the first, and i would take the boxyness from the old xb and add it to the new
not really, but sure wouldnt mind having my tc engine back.
5. Would you trade your xB if you are given the chance?
see answer to number 1.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ali_Cat
i think if it had a more boxy design, the 1st gen owners would like it more because it looked like an xb...like nothing else
I don't mind the shape as much as the shift in thinking. The first xB was economical and compact but spacious. The new one is larger, a bit less economical and somewhat more claustrophobic.

1.5 to 2.4 is a bit of a jump. I think the 1.8 matrix/corolla engine would've been fine, at least there'd be a balance between power and economy. I also think the loss of headroom is a shame, as well as the loss of rear leg room.

By measurement it might not be much, but perception is everything.

The original xB was big on the inside, and small on the outside. The latest iteration of the xB doesn't 'feel' that way, hence the vitriol.

It's *somewhat* like how Ford contemplated switching from a RWD mustang to a 4 cyl FWD. It's not the same. Ultimately the spun the FWD 4 cyl and the probe and kept the mustang. It would've been nice if Scion thought of keeping this xB as the t2b and not modifying the 1st gen xB so much.

At this point, you can't get a shiny new toaster... just used. That stings a little.

Quick Reply: xB vs xB2.. dun dun dun.....