xB vs xB2.. dun dun dun.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bB2NER
I think that more people would have felt differently about the xB2 if they had given it it's own name. Why call something an xB when it is so far from the original? Scion F'd up on that one!
think of it this way. they changed a bunch of cars and called them the same name. for instance the camaro , Even the corolla has changed from it's original form.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Not anywhere like this. Those were more of an evolution. This xB2 thing was a giant leap over a few different versions. Heck it's not even square anymore???
Old 06-12-2007, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Big_hungry
Originally Posted by bB2NER
I think that more people would have felt differently about the xB2 if they had given it it's own name. Why call something an xB when it is so far from the original? Scion F'd up on that one!
think of it this way. they changed a bunch of cars and called them the same name. for instance the camaro , Even the corolla has changed from it's original form.
Ford changed the Taurus, the F150s, and Dodge changed the Rams, the new Camry looks nothing like the last one, etc.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

what about the blazer , or bronco? they both changed yet kept the same name.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

what about the blazer , or bronco? they both changed yet kept the same name.
true, true, they went from a full size SUV to like a S-10 size SUV.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the toyota truck changed as well as the nissan trucks. just to name a few more
Old 06-12-2007, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the thing though is that scion said that after each 3 years the NAMEPLATE as well as the body style dies.

the style dies the nameplate did not and since the xB (first one) is VERY unique and now there's a new xB which to most of us is an abomination of what an xB is/should be.

all the cars you mentioned above minus the blazer continued to be the same type of car aka truck , sport car , van , suv. not from a urbancar / subcompact into a compact/midsize car.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the toyota truck changed as well as the nissan trucks. just to name a few more
those changed names.....

nissan's name changed the most , from datsun something or another to nissan truck then to the nissan hardbody , after that it was frontier , then "full size" titan in addition to the smaller frontier

toyota's were named truck/pickup from their inception until 1995 when the tacoma came out , then there was the t100 then the "full size" tundra in addition.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

--From Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2) Shakespeare

If Scion produced another box similar to the xB and called it something else, it would still be in the tradition of the "less is more" Gen 1 box.

They've done the opposite - they've kept the name and created an entirely new vehicle that bears no resemblance in style, function and culture to the original.

To paraphrase Master Will, "What's in the name of a car? That which we call a Gen 1 xB, by any other name would drive as sweetly."
Old 06-12-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
No, there actually are three generation os the JDM bB.

Tom
I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by YellowSubxB
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

--From Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2) Shakespeare
That technically doesn't apply, as the rose in that quote is still the 1st gen rose. If it were a 2nd gen rose but it actually looked like a tulip, calling it a rose would make no sense.

It's how Ford thought of changing the Mustang from a RWD beast to a FWD Japanese 4 cyl. The mustang community was absolutely outraged, which is why there is a Ford probe and a ford Mustang. Ford recognized that fundamentally changing the design but keeping the name would outrage their very fanatical patrons and hurt their bottom line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mu...ed_replacement

I'm not going to say the jump from the xB to the xB2 was as ridiculous. However, there is something to be said about the original xB with its counter culture message of 'less is more'; and the xB2, the heir apparent, with its almost formal apology for its elder's 'dirty hippy' attitude and acquiescing to the US market.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A true fellow "Intellect In A Box"

"To stir men's blood: I only speak right on" Antony in Shakespeare's Julius Ceasar
Old 06-12-2007, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1st gen wins. that's my take.
xB2's are getting eaten up by those who are in the bigger is better category. And yes, all cars nowadays are getting too "big" and rounder and fatter. i don't like the trend.
ok maybe not that drastic, but it's a debate. like everyone said, it's like you take an older ferrari or something and compare it with the 599 GTB. oh sure, the 599 is ridiculous and is probably the best touring ferrari has ever produced, but you absolutely must bow down to an old 250GT or even a 575 maranello.
this is just my opinion.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The first gen was a simple seeming passenger carrier designed for a crowded environment. Basically design a spacious, comfortable 5 person transport pod with good visibility, easy access, and that would fit with room left over in a 2x5 meter parking space.

Put in a small motor to move it and wrap it in a sheath with no wasted spaces: The original bB, and eventually the xB.

The xB_Too takes essentially that same space, but attaches a larger than necessary motor, and wraps it in a sheath with rounded corners and bulbous hips. It is less comfortable in that parking spot, and on crowded streets, but it tries.

The xB_Too is a good product, and should sell well, but it is not the unapologetically square, strictly form-follows-function people box the original was.

There was something about how focused the original was that was endearing, that made it a cult icon both here and in it's native land.

The xB_Too takes it's cues from the rest of the cars in the marketplace - the original thumbed it's snub little nose at them.

Tom

Old 06-12-2007, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

This is kinda like what Ford did to the Mustang back in 74' with the Mustang II. They went and made a Mustang out of a Pinto and look how long it took to get back to where it should have always been.
They should have at least called it the xB2 so people wouldn't confuse it with the original one.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tomas - You read my mind. I was thinking more of the profile of the old Astro passenger van but the xBGenToo does fit many American profiles.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I test drove a new xB and if you travel interstate, it is no comparison. The new xB is much better on the open road.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by brambling
I test drove a new xB and if you travel interstate, it is no comparison. The new xB is much better on the open road.
So when are you trading yours in and getting one??? You just repeated what most everyone else has already stated.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No I don't drive interstate much.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, same here. With probably less than 5% of my driving being spent on the wide open highways, and 95% being spent in tight urban crawl, I have no reason to buy a freeway cruiser.

If the box couldn't handle the few longer high-speed trips I take, I could always rent something to take the punishment... So far, though, the box has done just fine going up and down over mountain ranges and across deserts on runs to Montana, etc.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i drive about 80% on the highway and i'd never give up the xB for an xB deux

Quick Reply: xB vs xB2.. dun dun dun.....