Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

xb windshield problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default xb windshield problems

I have had my xb for about 3 months now. My xb was delivered with a chip in the windshield, so a new one was installed at the dealer. Earlier today I now got the 3rd chip in my new windshield. What is going on? I have never had problems with "windshield quality" in my other vehicles for the past 10 years I have been driving. Are these windshields of lower quality or am I just having really bad luck? Is anyone else getting rock chips pretty easily from just passing cars?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: xb windshield problems

Originally Posted by oh1101
I have had my xb for about 3 months now. My xb was delivered with a chip in the windshield, so a new one was installed at the dealer. Earlier today I now got the 3rd chip in my new windshield. What is going on? I have never had problems with "windshield quality" in my other vehicles for the past 10 years I have been driving. Are these windshields of lower quality or am I just having really bad luck? Is anyone else getting rock chips pretty easily from just passing cars?
a lot of people have had chipping issues and such. i have a real tiny chip on mine also. i think it also has to do with the angle the windshield is at.

rocks cant just hit it and bounce over as easy as a more slanted windshield. same with bugs, if you notice the windhsield collects bugs real easy. my other cars ive had never had a problem with bugs, but they were all slanted a lot more
Old 01-04-2005, 04:37 AM
5 Year Member

yeah mine had a chip in when i let the dealer!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

welcome to the club buddy!
Old 01-04-2005, 10:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

alot of ins companies fix chips for free. cheaper and easier than paying a deductible for a new one. it might be a cheap/free alternative for some people i'm gettin mine done tomorroe probably
Old 01-04-2005, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

In Florida insurance companies are required to replace windshields without it hurting the insurance rate. At least that's the way it was when I lived there about 1.5 years ago.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member

Welcome to the club There was discusion awhile back that once the "factory" glass was replaced with an aftermarket one, there was an improvement in the durability. Can't do much for the bugs though. That is why the thing holds like 2 Gallons of washer fluid.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yah I just got my whole windshield replaced last week... $371 bucks... dam there expensive

scion619
Old 01-04-2005, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I don't think it's a windshield quality issue, it's all about the angle. Lots of minivans have similar issues. Ford Aerostars were notorious... My windshield has 3 major chips that haven't spread and too many pits to count. I'm not gonna mess with it until it cracks for real. I got my first major chip 3 weeks after I got it, just about a year ago. It's 1/4 to 1/2 inch long and has never grown. Most cracks like that would've spread in no time, from my past experiences.

The sad part is the front end is at the same angle so the bumper and hood edge get the same treatment. It's not exactly a surprise though. What do you expect when the front of the car is as aerodynamic as the ___ end...
Old 01-04-2005, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by phinz
In Florida insurance companies are required to replace windshields without it hurting the insurance rate. At least that's the way it was when I lived there about 1.5 years ago.
they still fix it or replace without charge or rate incease :-)
Old 01-04-2005, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd say that the angle and size of the windshield are both factors, as well as the properties of the glass. The old VW bugs used to get quite a few cracked windshields because the windshields were even more vertical than that of the Scion. However, the VW windshields had only about 1/2 the area of the Scion glass so they only got hit half as often. They also could be replaced for less than $50!

The glass also seems to be a lot softer on its surface then the older stuff. My 18-month old xB hasn't picked up any big chips yet, but whenever I drive into the sun the microscopic surface pits become very apparent. The number of pits is getting to be the same as my 30-year-old VW bus windshield.

It has been observed in other threads that aftermarket auto glass might be better than the Toyota stuff in this regard.

George
Old 01-04-2005, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

just dont let safetouch replace it!

im on to 4 times STILL havent gotten it correct.....chipped my paint last time ALL over the top curve area...

SAFELITE SUX!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by George
I'd say that the angle and size of the windshield are both factors, as well as the properties of the glass. The old VW bugs used to get quite a few cracked windshields because the windshields were even more vertical than that of the Scion. However, the VW windshields had only about 1/2 the area of the Scion glass so they only got hit half as often. They also could be replaced for less than $50!

The glass also seems to be a lot softer on its surface then the older stuff. My 18-month old xB hasn't picked up any big chips yet, but whenever I drive into the sun the microscopic surface pits become very apparent. The number of pits is getting to be the same as my 30-year-old VW bus windshield.

It has been observed in other threads that aftermarket auto glass might be better than the Toyota stuff in this regard.

George
wow when i was looking to replace my 69's windsheild i was getting quotes around the 160 area. not cool. must be nice. lol i prolly couldda done it myself considering i reinstalled the rear window once but oh well god do i miss that car.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
wow when i was looking to replace my 69's windsheild i was getting quotes around the 160 area. not cool. must be nice. lol i prolly couldda done it myself considering i reinstalled the rear window once but oh well god do i miss that car.
I was talking parts cost for the glass and seal. $160 isn't bad for a professional installation, as they don't usually have "special VW pricing". The bug windshields aren't hard to do , since they are so small.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep i had a chip on my box's window. almost made me cry. got it fixed free though so no worries. i agree i think its just the angle of the windshield. sucks but thats life
Old 01-04-2005, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I think it's definantly the angle. All my trucks and vans have always gotten more chip's/cracks in them than my cars. Except for my short stint with a New Beetle back in 98'. That windshield was $620 at lowest bid to replace.............that hurt!
Old 01-04-2005, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The angle of the window does make it easy for rocks to get it sometimes i think. Just hope you don't have to replace any side windows cause it will take you them about 4 weeks weeks to show up.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Big hungry
The angle of the window does make it easy for rocks to get it sometimes i think. Just hope you don't have to replace any side windows cause it will take you them about 4 weeks weeks to show up.
I'd cut a piece of plexiglas for it while I waited. Hope your car's not down for the wait...
Old 01-05-2005, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

be happy it hit your window and not your paint and dent it LIKE ME!!! i hate truckers
Old 01-05-2005, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: xb windshield problems

Originally Posted by TOAST3R
a lot of people have had chipping issues and such. i have a real tiny chip on mine also. i think it also has to do with the angle the windshield is at.

rocks cant just hit it and bounce over as easy as a more slanted windshield. same with bugs, if you notice the windhsield collects bugs real easy. my other cars ive had never had a problem with bugs, but they were all slanted a lot more
I don't know about that . My 82 CJ-7 Jeep had an almost 90 degree windshield. I drove it for 6 years and hardly every got a stone chips. I often wonder if the newer windshields are just weaker.
:?:

Quick Reply: xb windshield problems