xb windshield problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: xb windshield problems

Originally Posted by rallyxb
I don't know about that . My 82 CJ-7 Jeep had an almost 90 degree windshield. I drove it for 6 years and hardly every got a stone chips. I often wonder if the newer windshields are just weaker.
:?:
The height of the CJ windshield is considerably more than the xB. I find that my VW bus takes considerably fewer pebble hits than the xB, but a lot of pebbles hit the front sheet metal below the windshield.

George
Old 01-05-2005, 05:18 PM

We are of course a course a brick on wheels you know. Also the winsheilds on our cars are lower than any jeep too. Its just gotta be the design of the angle. I too was one who got the windshield replace the first weekend I had it. :sad:

Old 01-06-2005, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TOAST3R
a lot of people have had chipping issues and such. i have a real tiny chip on mine also. i think it also has to do with the angle the windshield is at.

rocks cant just hit it and bounce over as easy as a more slanted windshield. same with bugs, if you notice the windhsield collects bugs real easy. my other cars ive had never had a problem with bugs, but they were all slanted a lot more
I don't know about that . My 82 CJ-7 Jeep had an almost 90 degree windshield. I drove it for 6 years and hardly every got a stone chips. I often wonder if the newer windshields are just weaker.
i also have a 97 jeep wrangler and i don't have a single chip in it's windshield.. rocks bounce off, but dont leave a chip. this is one reason i posted the message in the first place because i really question the quality. you would think that they would fix a problem like this and it would go thru extensive tests before manufacturing..
Old 01-06-2005, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

phew! im not alone. i have a mysterious 7 inch crack. it appeared one morning.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:33 PM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scion619
yah I just got my whole windshield replaced last week... $371 bucks... dam there expensive

scion619
Yeah 310 here. I didn't think the rubber moulding needed to be replaced or else it would have been cheaper. I should have known. I just don't want to replace it anytime soon (Cross my fingers)

don't follow contruction semi's.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:27 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got a bullseye on my windshield. i think the angle of the windshield has alot to do with it. like someone mentioned above. we are a moving brick wall in some sorts.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member

I had the same problem with a Golf - it got several chips. Windshiedl angle. None on my xA - very sloped.

I did find that keeping the window clean and treated with Rain-X helps a little. It's like wax to keep rain off, and the rocks slip a little, bite a little less. But it won't cure the problem, depening on how hard the windshield gets whacked, and other factors (like is the windshield clean and slippery, is it a smooth piece of gravel or rough edged, the speed).
Old 01-07-2005, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by George
The height of the CJ windshield is considerably more than the xB. I find that my VW bus takes considerably fewer pebble hits than the xB, but a lot of pebbles hit the front sheet metal below the windshield.

George
Hmmmm... If it's an aerodynamics issue, do you think a bug deflector would solve the problem?
Anyone here with a bug deflector that is still getting stone chips in the windshield?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard that these two morons who were married were driving one day and they had had a chip in their winshield and it had spread. Too bad they were sooo damn stupid that it fell in on them.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well my windshield just cracked after only having the car 2.5 months.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Got my first windshield chip last night from a rock. Luckily it's real low on the glass. It's about 2" above the end of the driver's wiper. Sitting in the driver's seat, it is slightly to the left and above the speedo.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got one right now while driving on the highway. My xB is only one week old.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member

I also got a chip. Tried one of those windshield repair kits from the auto parts store. It actually worked really well. There is just a tiny mark where the chip was.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oh1101
I have had my xb for about 3 months now. My xb was delivered with a chip in the windshield, so a new one was installed at the dealer. Earlier today I now got the 3rd chip in my new windshield. What is going on? I have never had problems with "windshield quality" in my other vehicles for the past 10 years I have been driving. Are these windshields of lower quality or am I just having really bad luck? Is anyone else getting rock chips pretty easily from just passing cars?
Yep,it chip's pretty easily.I currently have 3 chip's in my winshield 2 at the base of it,1 to my left side half way up.I think it has alot to do with the windshield angle and a lower quality glass then say what's used in a Camry or other Toyota product.I believe alot of people with Scion's have problem's with rock chip's.

04 Scion Xb RS 1.0 #0686 of #2100
17-inch Black Motegi Racing RT-5's with Toyo Proxes All-Season 215/40-ZR17
AEM Cold Air Intake
PrecisionMuffler.com axel-Back
Amsoil Synthetic Lubricant's
The Box is pretty much loaded out.
ScionMikey04

Let's just all try and get along and live in peace.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

F.Y.I.

JC Whitney now sells a DYI Clear Paint-protection Film at a fraction of the cost for a professional install. I think with some patience anyone could do an install on the front edge of the hood and bumpers. I will do my xB when it's warmer in the spring.

Here's the info...
"... UV protected--won't yellow over time. Simply clean painted finish, then apply the film. Flexible urethane film can be stretched and molded to fit your vehicle's curves and angles; won't shrink. Film can be repositioned throughout the installation process until adhesive sets. Adhesive removes with product (even after years) and leaves no residue. No special care needed; wash and wax vehicle without damaging film. Includes everything needed for effortless application..."

4" x 6-ft. Roll Clear Paint-protection Film
Price $26
Part# ZX518938A

8" x 6-ft. Roll Clear Paint-protection Film
Price $41
Part# ZX518939R

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/C...&searchbtn.y=0
Old 01-10-2005, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xBChef
I also got a chip. Tried one of those windshield repair kits from the auto parts store. It actually worked really well. There is just a tiny mark where the chip was.
Yeah those kits are pretty good. I've used them several times and, while they don't make a perfect fix they have prevented cracks from spreading.

It's _really_ important to fix rock chips ASAP and definitely before _any_ water gets on the chip. If I can't fix the chip immediately I put a little square of electrical tape over the chip to keep water out. If water gets into the crack, you can't get it out!

Also important is to read and follow the instructions exactly. The resins used in these kits are a bit touchy, but if you follow the instructions they work well.

One thing that I never do with any repaired windshield is to spray it with hot water in winter or cold water in summer. The expansion and contraction will really make the cracks run!

George
Old 01-10-2005, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any xB's out there w/ those rock/bug deflectors on their hood?
will that help also from deflecting rox to the windshield? or is it just for the hood?
anyone.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have three chips in mine. Wife has about 5 in her TrailBlazer over the same period of time. I don't think it's anything terrible. It just happens.

This past Thursday I was driving home and a huge chunk of ice came off a truck and hit my windshield. It was larger than a softball. Sounded like a shotgun going off, but the windshield just bowed in and back out and it bounced off. I say these are pretty durable windshields that a good five pound chunk of ice would just bounce off.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We've not put a windshield in a Scion yet.....stay out from behind dumptrucks...lol
Old 01-10-2005, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Having my chip fixed tomorrow at work by a local place that goes mobile. $60 with a warranty that the chip won't spread further. I'll post the results with before and after pics.

Quick Reply: xb windshield problems