First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

xb windshield problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah try safelite. i've had about 30 or 40 rocks hit the glass none have chipped it or cracked it.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

310 for my replacement , sometiems you can fine guys that will do it for as little as 150.00 but you get what you pay for. expect to replace your windsheild several times in next few years !!!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I too am now a victim of chips in my windshield. I have made three round trips from savannah to atlanta with no cracks in the first three weeks and in two days time on two short trips down the bypass I got nailed with two nice chips. I was talking with my girlfriend who manages the toyota rent a car fleet and is the warranty claims administrator for the local toyota/scion/lexus dealer, and she says some cars have stress cracks. they are very rare, so rare that between 3 car divisions that they might replace 4-5 windshields a year under warranty. So, yes a windshield can crack without a hit , but it is very very rare and it has to do with the way the glass is mounted in the car at the factory, but quality control catches it 99.5 % of the time. I will be getting mine repaired first, and try to get a little use out of it. hell, I haven't made my first car payment yet....
Old 03-07-2006, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got mine replaced around the same time last year, and from the looks of it, i'm gonna need another window since the chip is directly in my line of sight (especially when it's sunny....and i'm in SoCal)
i did't have this much problem w/ any other car...oh well
Old 11-29-2006, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member

Default Windshield problems

I love my xb, and I've been driving it for over two years now. I got my first windshield ding within 30 days, and my second the next year. This morning in the cold weather the one behind my speedometer began cracking as I was driving to work. Now I have a nice 2-foot crack across the bottom of my windshield.

I had a Ford Festiva with a ding I never repaired for 15 years and I lived in Indiana where it got down to -37 and I never had any problems with the ding. I find it very interesting to read about all the windshield problems.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

+1 for safelite.

make sure you are present for the install, because removal requires cutting out the old glue holding the windshield in. this cutting results in a lot of scrapes to the paint underneath that MUST BE PRIMERED before the new glass goes up. A buddy of mine had his third shield put up and found lots of rust underneath.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pay attention to what cherryBox said!!! Some glass folks scrape right down to bare metal and leave it that way behind the edge of the windshield with no protection. Happened to me at Titus-Will Toyota/Scion in Tacoma, WA: http://www.tijil.org/blog/?p=19

Tomas
Old 11-29-2006, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member

I too have had trouble with chips in my windshield. I drove 2.5 hours from where I live and I bet within 30 min of the drive, I got a chip. Seemed like after the first there was a second. Haven't had them fixed yet but will if they begin to spread.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member

Default Add Me To The List...

The temperature dropped below freezing, here in Northern California. I was on my way to work this morning, with the defroster on 'high', as I crossed the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge. No traffic ahead of me. No chips in my windshield, either... Anyway, a small, 2" crack appeared just right-of-center at the very top. It quickly began to run down and to the left. I called the service manager of my dealership, and he ordered the replacement. I still have to go in tomorrow and have mine 'inspected'... It worries me that so many of us have experienced problems. To date, I think my dealer has had my box more than I have... sigh
Old 12-02-2006, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah ive already when to the glass place and had them fix like 10 chips....
Old 12-02-2006, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go to the "class action suit" thread and give information to the firm that got reimbursement for Honda Element owners.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member

im going on my second windsheild in three weeks. lol one just crakced going down the interstate at normal speeds and the other cracked when a softball sized rock flew off a dumptruck a couple of cars up and hit me.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member

[quote="hotbox05"]I guarrantee a small rock hit your windsheild and then the heat/cold difference between when the rock hit and you back out to yoru car caused it to crack.

Ditto here
I work for a dealer in CA.
I was furious when I got into my car one summer morning and there was a crack coming out from driver side going towards the passenger side starting right at rubber gasket. (turned later and when down
Never heard it or saw it and I guess the hot evening to morning (heat/cold) spread it out

I was positive MY DEALER would replace it for me and
I WAS WRONG.

The advisor showed me how to find the point of impact.
Take a tip of a pencil and follow that line, when it sinks in youve found your point of impact.

On mine it was very near the gasket but it was there so I paid 150 for a new one installed within 25 mins! ) of course its not a toyota windshield but from what I hear that looks like the best choice.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

mine cracked this summer, was chipped by the same crack heads that chipped my paint dinted my quarter and my door, the ******* lawn company at work
Old 12-08-2006, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HRT2BCRZE
... I was positive MY DEALER would replace it for me and I WAS WRONG.... The advisor showed me how to find the point of impact. Take a tip of a pencil and follow that line, when it sinks in youve found your point of impact....
In the settlement of the Element class action suit, dealers were instructed to stop using the ballpoint pen test to deny replacement under warranty, and windshields were replaced up to 60K miles.

It is good that people share their cracked windshield stories here, but it is also important that they seearch out the SL "class action suit" thread, and use the link there to share those stories with the law firn that is collecting information for a similar suit for xBs.

These suits are not very adversarial, and are in the manufacturer's interest as well as ours. Honda and Scion both have an interest in quality and customer care.

In the case of the Element, until the evidence was collected and presented in the lawsuit, Honda was not aware of the full extent of the cracked windshield problem, or that dealers had been using the pen test to deny so many claims. Honda was able to make design and manufacturing changes that stopped the cracks by 2005, and also extended the warranty on windshields to 60K miles. It is too late to fix the xB, but the long warranty would be nice.

If and when my windshield cracks, I would hope there is a settlement in place for xB owners. But it won't happen unless we give the information.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Ok, had my box for a year and a half...I'm on my 4th windshield already...I just had one replaced and exactly one week later rock hit it and I had to get another one...Thank godness i have free windshield replacement...I do worry about the insurance company dropping my though...