First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Are you one of them???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default scions should always wave

Originally Posted by Max
I wish I could get some people around here to wave.

I think a peace sign should be the minimum requirement when waved at.
Originally Posted by Prototype_xB
Scions in my area are more than rare, so it's worth waving back here.

I agree with you guys here
Old 07-17-2005, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

as mentioned before, there are more scions here in soCal than anywhere else. way too much. in the short time i've owned the xB, ive had a couple wave. pretty cool.

do you any of you guys here ride bikes? if so, talk about waving. [/i]
Old 07-17-2005, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't wave. I bought my car for my own reasons, I don't want to belong to some sort of cult or feel obligated to do something I don't want to do.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No one waves here either.

Everyone used to wave and flash when we had our VW turbo Bettle. That was really cult like IMO. It was frightening at first. lol

I think its just saying HEY IM NOT ALONE!

Some ppl can be so RUDE....OMG you actually bought that fugly car AND you drive it!

OK a car might MIGHT be different looking but once you see a hundred a day that wares off or at least it should!
Old 07-22-2005, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha i was just wondering the other day if scion owners did that. Jeep owners are the same way. funny stuff. i dont see anything wrong with waving back.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Waving can be friendly, polite or sometimes just an acknowledment of another person. If you are so self-centered, self-concious or just too much of an ahole to make that small of a gesture then ____ off. It will all came back to you in the end. From my experience, especially in more rural areas people wave all the time, it's pretty much a symbol of mutual acknowledgement. Maybe if you can't spare the 1 to 2 seconds out of your day to have the respect to gesture back to someone then maybe you should stick your head further up your ___ and people will probably leave you alone all together.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member

Wow, I am amazed at how desensitized people are that think if someone waves at you because you have the same car, that it is "cult like". Amazing. Actually quite sad. My local grocery store has its employees as you "how are you" "how is your day going" and honestly, it is a breath of fresh air to actually be around people that just care about you being there. That being said, I have a 72 Toyota fj40 as well as the XB. I get waves in both vehicles from owners of both types of cars. I will also toss a head nod or a wave if I see one. Does that mean that I expect them to give me all of their belongings and move in to a compound with me? No, that is a cult. Get a grip. People are just expressing that they like the car you are in and letting you know that you both have that in common. If you do not want to wave back...well I guess just hurry back to your hermit style home and tint all your windows so dark that no one can see you. Aw heck....I suppose the rest of us can just move out of the city you live in so you can be all alone and have no one invade your personal space with a wave.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default **Waves**

Oh heck ya I wave! Most of the other people do too. My friends just kinda look at me. You know how there are bumper stickers that say "It's an X thing?" I think it's true. It's a scion thing.. specifically an xB thing. I find a lot of people like my car here in MA, but I think more and more are on the road now. It's still neat, I do beep sometimes
Old 07-22-2005, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member

I wave if I see another scion that has mods on it. Call me lame or whatever, but I think it's cool. And it's my way of saying I like your box :D.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive noticed a few other boxes driving around here, but they are all mostly stock and are driven by old dodgy farts..
theres a rs2 that sits in a bank parking lot all day that has a sticker on the door. my box isnt all that far from stock either, but i do notice some stares..
Old 07-22-2005, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The biker community is like that too...all of them always talk to each other at a stop light and ask them "What' you got in there?" I wish some xB owners could be more open, not that they wanna anyway LOL. I'd like to know some tips and ish too. Shoot, Megan header or DC? New exhaust pipes or use stock?

Wait, I can ask them here... LOL.. but it'll be cooler in person..erm..that is... if we're not at a stoplight haha or passing by.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member

i experienced both ends of the scion phenom spectrum in one day..a girl in a PW xB waved on my way in to work, totally made my day. Coming home, a Camo xB honked and flipped the bird because i didn't turn into my driveway fast enough for her taste, totally ruined my eve. If i had my druthers, i'm going with the wave.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

its a wave... big deal.... either wave or dont... your choice.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

dude, you have problems...growing up in the deep south, waving is a humanly gesture. I would ride by people all the time and wave for no reason other than to say....you are another person, you occupy space and you are an equal. I dont know if being in modesto has desensitized you but if a dolphin was driving a scion...would you wave then?????

just a thought...just as was your lame **** thought. get a clue, grow up and realize you are not the only person on the earth!

*WAVE* to all you people who drive scions whom I do not get to pass on the street.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we wave because its a community of people that have a similar passion. i hate it when i wave and they dont wave back.

start waving! :D
Old 07-23-2005, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's funny to me that people are still using the word "___" to describe something that's awkward or undesirable. I'll second the person who said it's not a ___/bi/tranny/straight thing..

I happen to be ___ in two ways: 1) the old-fashioned 1930's movie musical way, as in a usually up-beat happy person 2) i have a same-sex partner with whom I've lived for 11 years, and yes we do have straight friends too. so i'm ___ but not like you see on Will-and Grace give me a f****n break NBC!!

___ is a word we were using in the 7th grade, and I'll tell you it was more than a few years ago (I'll be 40 in November)

Now, back to the subject of WAVING. When the Mini Cooper was first sold in Denver, we visited the showroom and checked out the whole concept. In the owner's manual and in their advertising, one of the rules of the road when driving an MC was that you wave/honk/flick your beams (your choice) to other MCs on the roadways.

The same "cult" has arisen around the 2nd gen Prius (2004 and later models.) We've observed the custom this past first year of ownership, but have noticed as more and more of them are on the road, fewer people will return a wave or anything. Most of the time we are ignored, unless you're at a stop and can say hi or wave across the intersection.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe it's more common in parts of our big "nation." In the south where I grew up, waving to passing cars on county roads and in small towns is still the norm to this day. We drove home recently in our Prius, and we got funny looks from people, because a Prius is still a rare sight in B'ham AL, as are Scions. We did see several TCs, a couple of Xa and one RS 2.0 Xb and a Camo Xb outside the deli by my sister's house. And, it was driven by a woman not in the target demographic of Scion (shocker, she looked to be in her 50s)

Old 07-23-2005, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Theres not too many skions around here. I think I am one of the few that are actually fixed up. So people mostly stare instead fo wave lol. Including other scion owenrs. Like sadi before If they have a SL sticker or it's modded then I will wave
Old 07-23-2005, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I waved at this guy on the freeway at 2am or so driving from Sacramento to S.F. and we stopped to get gas off the freeway and we chatted about each other's xB's... Turns out his car was pretty sick, custom Leather interior, interior lighting, sound system, 19" rims. I don't really bump into too many Scions, but I guess that's just because I'm a Freeway driver. It's not like it's cutting an arm off or anything just to wave, so I'm going to keep waving. It's up to the driver, not like you'll go to jail...
Old 07-23-2005, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have waved with no responce so I stopped. Then I had 1 person in a XB wave as we crossed paths going into a shopping center. The other was a headlight flash leaving my dad's house out in the middle of retirement central in Beverly Hills, FL. Surprised me I couldn't move my hand to wave quick enough. TC er's don't at all I noticed. As for the peace sign, I worked at Epcot (Disney World) and that is what every young Japanese person did when I took their photograph. They were like an anamie (Sp?) cartoon with Mickey ears on. I asked one what it meant and they said "Ah peeese" I was like good I was afraid it meant you suck or something. So the V sign is very JDM!!!!