Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Anyone done a HID projector retro-fit yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:30 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I sold my S2k projectors . And by looking at your pic it probably would have been more difficult than I expected because the stock Xb2 projectors are much smaller than the S2ks. Eventually I'll do it (probably with TSX projectors), but for now I'll just run my HID kit.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what HID kit are you running?
Old 03-31-2008, 04:41 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

mobile HID h11 5000k
Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

you should have gone for it with the s2ks, they would have fit

most people just dont understand why plun-n-play hids in halogen projectors are crap,

u get crisp colorful cutoff, much better intensity, much wider beam and the chance to be creative with the headlights once their open
Old 05-01-2008, 11:22 PM
PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone here find out what size projectors we have on the 2G xB?

is it the same size as the tC?
Old 05-03-2008, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'll get some measurements for ours. I picked up a busted headlight to take apart for experimenting.

The hardest part is that the ring the projector is mounted to is part of the hi-beam reflector. Same as an S2000. So it's gonna take some work to mount another projector in it. It also limits how much room width wise there is. My buddy just finished a TSX retro fit in his tC. I'm gonna show him and see if he thinks the TSX projector will fit. TSX's are pretty wide, so if they'll fit, most will.

From the output pics I've seen on here, I think it's very possible to get good results from the stock projector. If you bend the "Squirrel Finder" on the shield down, it will get rid of the light above the cutoff line. And then adding a clear lense (ours are fresnel lenses) will make the cutoff much more sharp. Still not as good, and I'm not doing it, but it will be better than stock form.

Now that I got my wheels, I can start this project. Can't wait.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MikeInABox
I'll get some measurements for ours. I picked up a busted headlight to take apart for experimenting.

The hardest part is that the ring the projector is mounted to is part of the hi-beam reflector. Same as an S2000. So it's gonna take some work to mount another projector in it. It also limits how much room width wise there is. My buddy just finished a TSX retro fit in his tC. I'm gonna show him and see if he thinks the TSX projector will fit. TSX's are pretty wide, so if they'll fit, most will.

From the output pics I've seen on here, I think it's very possible to get good results from the stock projector. If you bend the "Squirrel Finder" on the shield down, it will get rid of the light above the cutoff line. And then adding a clear lense (ours are fresnel lenses) will make the cutoff much more sharp. Still not as good, and I'm not doing it, but it will be better than stock form.

Now that I got my wheels, I can start this project. Can't wait.
I did an S2K retro fit in my M3 (e36) and going from that; the beam in my XB looks like GARBAGE with HID's.

Can you give me some more info on the lense and finder?
Old 05-03-2008, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah that's why I said it's possible to get good results from the stock projector, with some modding. Even then it will still never be as good as the real thing, which is why I'm not doing it. However, over on HID planet someone altered the shield and lense on a tundra (think it was a tundra, might have been a camry) and it had damn good results for being in a halogen projector.

The "Squirrel Finder" is a little plate that sticks off the cutoff shield straight forward. It reflects light upwards which gives that square light pattern above the cuttoff line. Can't notice it a lot with halogens, but with HID's in there, it sticks out big time. If you bend that down, cut it off, or paint it black, it gets rid of the light above the cutoff line.

As for the lense, ours is the frensel type. If you look close it lookse like it has ripples/rings in it. This distorts the beam and makes it kind of fuzzy/soft. With a clear lense it's really sharp. Some people on HIDplanet have actually put frensel lenses in their projectors to lessen the drastic difference between the bright-cutoff-darkness.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:49 PM
PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I, too, am attempting a legit retrofit on the 2g xB. First retrofit ever.

Ordered a set of rx330 projectors; wish I had a messed up headlight to work with lol, please do share whatever info you find. I haven't seen one legit retrofit on an xB cus everyone thinks the halogen projectors are sufficient.

Not me, though. Right now, my projectors have the mobileHID kit in there, and when I initially had it on, it's definitely a lotta glare. My HID's are now angled down, and they still have light above the cutoff that lights up peoples faces in their cars (i can see it when im driving). Compared to the pix I've seen on HIDplanet, I'd say conversion kits are no good (wish I never got it).

In addition to that I have EMI interference whenever I have my FM radio on; weak.

I'll let ya know what I find out about the rx330's, i've posted on HIDplanet and this is what people recommended for a relatively cheaper approach to getting retrofitted HIDs.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love my glare it lets me see street signs lol
Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'll get some measurements of the projector tonight and some pics.

I've been looking at a lot of different projectors over on hidplanet. It's hard to explain without pics, but the holes on the projector that mount to the shroud portion are right behind the lense. Most projectors I've been looking at have the mounting sections pretty far back from the lense. S2K projectors look very similar to ours.

Obviously none will be a direct drop in. But the way the outer reflector housing/shroud is in our headlights, it kind of complicates how to mount a new projector. Because the projector can't be farther forward or backwards or else it won't work right with the hole that's in the shroud whe already have.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 PM
PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been looking at a lot of different projectors over on hidplanet. It's hard to explain without pics, but the holes on the projector that mount to the shroud portion are right behind the lense. Most projectors I've been looking at have the mounting sections pretty far back from the lense. S2K projectors look very similar to ours.

Obviously none will be a direct drop in. But the way the outer reflector housing/shroud is in our headlights, it kind of complicates how to mount a new projector. Because the projector can't be farther forward or backwards or else it won't work right with the hole that's in the shroud whe already have.
Yes Please do! this would help tons!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by PM

Yes Please do! this would help tons!
^^^x2. I've been lurking a couple Honda *gasp* forums where they've been doing retro fits. I'm sure there's numerous more how-to's and DIY's on strictly HID forums. Maybe I should sign up and learn me some...
Old 05-06-2008, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Alright guys. Here are some pics and measurements. I had to measure with a tape measure and I've done my best online to convert from inches to millimeter, since most measurements given on HID planet are mm.

Overall Lense Diameter: 2 5/8" - 66.67mm
Diameter where round part of Lense Starts: 2 3/8" - 60.32mm
Widest Part of the whole thing: 4" - 101.6mm
Height (From Bottom Mounting Hole to Top Mounting Hole): 3 5/8" - 92.07mm
Height of Projector Bowl: 3 1/8" - 79.37mm
Length: 5" - 127mm
Length (Seat of lense to mounting holes): 1.5" - 38.1mm
Length (Mounting Holes to Bulb Base): 3.5" - 88.9mm

Side:

Top:

Front:

Those measurements aren't the best, but they should help get a general idea of how much room is inside and all.

Oh and feel free to use that stuff over on HID planet.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No pics of the housing and all, sorry. I can get some tomorrow if you want. Knowing the projector dimensions is probably the best to go by though.

Inside our housing though, the projector mounts pretty high up, so there's not much room to get one that's any taller than ours. There's a little room to work with extra width, but not much. It's really cramped inside and there's really nothing to cut away without taking a chunk out of the rear headlight housing.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mike,

Dude! you are awesome thank you so much for guineapigging the dimensions... I have not seen ONE thread anywhere where someone takes out the projectors and gives good measurements... thank you very much.

im in the process of obtaining rx330's... not sure if it'll fit, but im gonna TRY to make it fit as much as I can... the rx330's have roughly the same diameter 2.5"... Yes, you are right. Space is definitely at a premium... Im also tryin to get my hands on a beat up 08 xb headlight ($$$ ouch) to just use as a preliminary mock up of what i want to do.

i'll post my findings as soon as I get what I need... i have a set of calipers too (enginerd).

One big question is... how clear is the lens... is it frensel (dimpelled/segmented/polkadotted) or is it perfectly clear? I ordered a set of BMW e30 lenses as well to use in my retrofit for a cleaner HID cut.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No problem man. I was lucky. That came out of the cracked light I bought off ebay for $50.

The lense on the stock projector is the frensel type. It has the ripple looking rings in it.

I was looking through the thread on HID planet that lists different projector dimensions a lot last night. The three biggest things we need to keep in mind aside from the lense diameter are: Height, Width, and the distance from the lense base to the mounting holes. Compared to a lot of the projectors listed, ours have a really short distance between the lense base and the mounting holes. And like I said earlier, there's a little room for more width and not much to get any taller.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:20 PM
PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI c/o hidplanet:

Lexus RX330 Low Beam (Non-AFS, w/Subaru Legacy Shield):

-Lens Diameter =~ 64mm / 2.50"
-Diameter = 77.10mm / 3.04"
-Height(with Shield) = 109.50mm / 4.31"
-Height Bowl = 96.70mm / 3.81"
-Width Bowl = 106.50mm / 4.19"
-Length = 139.20mm / 5.48"
-Length(seat of the lens to mounting holes) = 48.60mm / 1.91"
-Length(mounting holes to end of bulb) = 90.60mm / 3.57"
-Width(between top mounting holes) = 33.75mm / 1.33"
-Width(between bottom mounting holes) = 40.50mm / 1.59"
-Height(between mounting holes) = 98.80mm / 3.89"

======================================

This projector usually comes with a cut-off shield that has OEM mounting brackets integrated. Most would usually cut these off and make their own holes for mounting. Subaru Legacy Halogen projector is almost idnetical to this Xenon projector. We used cut-off shield from the Legacy projector as it is smaller and has mounting holes built-in. All measurements are to reflect shield replacement. Height and width measurements are also given for an actual Xenon reflective bowl.

compared to:

Overall Lense Diameter: 2 5/8" - 66.67mm
Diameter where round part of Lense Starts: 2 3/8" - 60.32mm
Widest Part of the whole thing: 4" - 101.6mm
Height (From Bottom Mounting Hole to Top Mounting Hole): 3 5/8" - 92.07mm
Height of Projector Bowl: 3 1/8" - 79.37mm
Length: 5" - 127mm
Length (Seat of lense to mounting holes): 1.5" - 38.1mm
Length (Mounting Holes to Bulb Base): 3.5" - 88.9mm
Old 05-07-2008, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah of all the ones listed in their Projector Dimensions thread, the rx330 looks to be the only one that will fit without much hassle.

I put the projector back in the housing to see how much room there is around it. There's actually less extra width room than I thought. On the inner side the bowl is less then a 1/4" from the housing. On the outer side it can't really stick out any more or the outer reflector housing/shroud won't sit all the way down. So any wider than the rx330 and it's gonna be a nightmare. Height wise there is more than I thought. Not at ton extra, but I'd say enough for the rx330.

It's funny that that's all the bigger the rx330 actually is. In pics it looks much bigger. But I guess the same could be said for many of them. I was really hoping I could stick an S2K or TSX in there, but even trimmed they're way too wide.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Just cause I'm looking around and wanting to actually do this...

http://www.geocities.com/jvxdriver/beam_comparison.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...spagenameZWDVW

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=904345

And more..

http://www.geocities.com/jvxdriver/s2k_shield_mod.htm

All in all, it looks like getting the actual RX330 projector for it's compactness, TSX clear lens', and making your own cut off shield. Hmmm...

Quick Reply: Anyone done a HID projector retro-fit yet?