Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Anyone installed (DIY) a fixed track roof rack ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Anyone installed (DIY) a fixed track roof rack ?

Looking to install a fixed track ( track would be permanently attached ) on my ride. Has anyone done this themselves ? I'm concerned about possibly drilling into the side curtain airbag system! The track will be centered on the outermost raised "rib" of the roof.
Yes, I know I could refrain from drilling into my roof by just getting the clamp on version, but I'm leaning towards the track style since it would allow me to transport longer items/materials.
The installation procedure doesn't require the headliner to be removed. It's a one way install. A "riv nut" is used to secure the track to the roof.
Thanks for your help!
Old 10-21-2008, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to install these types of racks for a living. We typically used the Thule rails (they come in all kinds of lengths and will accommodate either Yakima or Thule hardware). We had great success with them and once I got a Scion my boss really wanted to install one of these.

Make sure that you measure carefully...no going back once you start drilling holes, use a collar on the drill bit so you don't go too deep. use touch up paint around the holes (to prevent rust), and you use plenty of silicone between the flanges of the rivnut and the roof and in the hole as you are setting the screws.

We never had a rack come back and never had any issues with them. Take your time and enjoy!

Thanks
Old 10-21-2008, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey I'm from Montana too (just not there now)

I have been deliberating over doing that for about a year myself but since I am on a budget I kept watching craigslist and ebay for them and never found any cheap-

I love those tracks and how they work-they look so professional on either xb1s and xb2s and are so nice even without any towers or bars installed.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the input "bigskyscion"! Still wondering about possibly damaging the airbags/ wiring/sensors in the roof of my car though. Does anyone have a tech manual that shows how the air bags are situated in the roof structure ? Maybe you can post it ? Thank-you.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thin jcwhitney has one you "glue" on these pads, then install or remove the rack.

I have a yamika setup from my xa, it was nearly 400 bucks.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If there is a rack attack anywhere near you they will install it and have a really good rep.