Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Best Tint to match rear privacy glass ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It won't be that dark but it will be darker than just leaving it. I have 14% over stock and thats about 5% on the rear 3 windows. I do have some issues, wait thinking about it I don't have any when driving at night. I especially love when douches behind me flash their high beams in order for me to speed up or move out the lane as it doesn't effect me.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikemann
so I have a question, sorry if it's dumb...but if I wanted to do 30-35% all around on all 5 windows, will it make the rears darker as well? Does it essentially add up? If the rear is around 30% factory, does adding 30 over it essentially give you limo tint 5-0%?
Essentially yes... I added 20% to the rear of mine and it is a little darker than the 10% film done to the front two side windows. I am guessing that the 20% on the rears brought it to about 6 or 7%. 35% over the back factory tint wouldn't be THAT dark...again guessing, but maybe 10-12%?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fred, technically in MD, the xB is listed as an MPV so you can have it as dark as you want and 36% yes 36%... 35% is illegal. BUT, tint is a secondary offence an as such you have to be pulled over for another offence to get an RO. Just don't go into Rockville.

Out of courisority what did you think was wrong with D&L and what did it run?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by timmer357
Your box is looking sweet, but I agree with your attitude that the front should be a slight bit lighter if they aren't going to match. I personally feel 30% would be just about right and not create static with the man. Around here (Eugene, OR), the local traffic cops just got tint meters and are using them quite a bit. If you don't know from other posts, I work for the local PD so I kind of have it easier. Still, I got stopped the other night for my plate bulbs being too blue (LED super whites) and dark windows. On principle I want to "fight the power", but any more grief and I may go to 30% on my front windows. The back will be left @ 7% and they didn't even notice the windshield being done
Thanks. I agree that 30% film would be the sweet spot for matching the rear glass without much risk of getting a ticket. Since 3M-CS jumps from 20-35 I'd be happier with the 35% which would give me 28% VLT rather than the 15% I have now. Although 35%+ VLT is required in MD, I'm fairly certain that most cops would overlook 25%+ VLT in most cases but probably not 15%, JMO.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TuningIsLife
Fred, technically in MD, the xB is listed as an MPV so you can have it as dark as you want and 36% yes 36%... 35% is illegal. BUT, tint is a secondary offence an as such you have to be pulled over for another offence to get an RO. Just don't go into Rockville.

Out of courisority what did you think was wrong with D&L and what did it run?
Forgive me if I'm mistaken but AFAIK whether the XB is classified as an MPV, truck or car doesn't affect the VLT requirements for the front side windows. As I understand the MD law, I could paint all the rear windows black, providing that I have rear-view mirrors on both sides, but the front windows still must allow >35% VLT.

My main concern here is that, IMO, most cops under most circumstances would overlook 35% film (28% VLT) on the front windows but it's less likely that they would overlook 20% film (15% VLT). Kind of how most cops, under most circumstances, will overlook speeds of <10mph above the posted limit. Don't go back to Rockville?

As for D&L, I was put-off by the McDonald's drive-through atmosphere. They have a very nice facility and high-tech tools but I don't like to be so rushed or to see people working on my car in such a rush. They seemed much more concerned with getting lots of work in and out as fast as possible than the quality of their work. Not that their work is necessarily bad but it could definitely be better. I watched most of the installation and it appeared to me that 2 of the 4 installers were really good and the other 2 were still in OJT. Basically 2 guys did the windows and another 2 did the windshield strip. The guys who did the driver's side did great work but the guys who did the passenger side appeared to still be in OJT and struggled a bit. The final product reflects my installation observations.

D&L charges for 2 side windows:

$80 - house-brand tint
$100- Solargard
$130 - 3M Color Stable

Windshield strip:

$25 - basic
$40 - with matrix glass

I paid $178 total whicn seems high to me but the other highly-rated local shop (Winners) quoted me $219 just for the 2 front windows!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea my appologies, I didn't proof read. I ment to say you could have the back as dark as you want. When I had the front two windows done on my Gen1 It cost me like $70 i think and that was for a step up. I did 40% but wished I had gone Darker, I am looking at a BSP Gen2 so I am doing all my research in advance. I have seen HP Racings work, and D&L and a few other shops and just getting a feel for workmanship.

My rockville comment was because the cops down there suck i.e. I got pulled over twice within 30 mins for having a headlight out. (i carry a spare bulb for this reason now)
Old 09-03-2007, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem, I do the same thing all the time.

I may have been too critical of D&L. I've tinted a few cars myself but this is the first time I've had it done professionally. For all I know D&L might be as good as it gets. I don't have any major defects like bubbles, just some dirt and fibers trapped under the film in a few spots. You have to look for the imperfections to see them. Still, I imagine there are shops that could do as well as D&L for less money.

I was making reference to REM's song: "Don't go back to Rockville". Maybe Michael Stipe got pulled over there?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OFF TOPIC ALERT

Originally Posted by ScionFred

I was making reference to REM's song: "Don't go back to Rockville". Maybe Michael Stipe got pulled over there?
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
"(Don't Go Back To) Rockville" was the second and final single released by R.E.M. from their second studio album Reckoning. The song failed to chart on either the Billboard Hot 100 or the UK Singles Charts.

The song was written by Mike Mills as a plea to his then girlfriend, Ingrid Schorr, not to return to her hometown of Rockville, Maryland.
YOU MAY NOW RESUME TOPIC DISCUSSION
Old 09-16-2007, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Not the best pick, but I just got 35% all around.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Here is mine, i asked the tint shop to match the front to the back....

Old 09-22-2007, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wacktool
Here is mine, i asked the tint shop to match the front to the back....
I did the same thing. They did 35% on the front two windows. Looks good.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

got mine done on wed.
IIRC, fronts are 73% (factory)
rear are 27.5-28% (factory)

I got 35% up front so i should be at 25.5%(give or take a little). In terms of darkness its a pretty close match but i dont like the tint they used. when looking at something through the front and back you can see a difference in color. the tint looks like a very light blue..... its been annoying me since i got it
Old 11-10-2007, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also went through xlnt tint and they matched the bacjks with an 18% carbon film. Here is what I have noticed:
i) the fronts are definately darker from the inside looking out.
ii) the front is also slightly darker than the rears, but you have to really be looking hard at it to see.

In retrospect I would have preferred to go a little lighter up front, but oh well.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:33 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Noodles5666
I did 14% over stock all around with 35% on the windshield. It's dark but not too dark.
That is exactly what we did on our Tundra. I'm planning on doing the same for the xB.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If anyone still cares, I just changed my xB AGAIN. I have been stopped 3 times now for tint and it was getting old. Also tough to see with 5% over factory in back (with subs/amps illuminated) and 5% on front sides. I peeled everything off and went 30% in front. It is a perfect match in my world. I will borrow a police tint meter in a week or so and they should be within 1 or 2 % of the back. Will post pics later.