Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

eBay Spoiler. Yes, I bought it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default eBay Spoiler. Yes, I bought it.

So I'm waiting for my spoiler to come in from The Spoiler Store on eBay. I've heard good reviews about them and am excited to try it out. I definitely want the OEM spoiler from Toyota, but I'm in college and major in poverty, so it's not something that I want to spend that much money on.

When I receive it, I'm going to shoot some pictures and put it up here for us to see and show you through my grueling process of mounting it on my 08 xB.

I've never drilled a car (besides mudguards) or mounted a spoiler, so it should certainly be interesting.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no worries. it's not that hard. did you order it painted?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got mine from them too. paint is abit darker, but thats fine with me. couple of things, take off the foam tape and put 3m double sided body molding tape, that stuff works great. use 2 people, alot easier to mount.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought it from eBay to be painted Classic Silver (1F7 paint code), so hopefully it matches my xB well.

I'd like to have another person help me out, but I'd prefer to do this myself. But I will definitely invest interest in 3M mounting tape. Do the two bolts (I've heard it only has one for each side rather than two for each side for the OEM spoilers) hold it up well and is it sturdy?

Do you think I should wax the spoiler when it gets in, for extra protection? Supposedly it's primed, painted at least 2 times, and then two clear coats applied.

How hard was it to drill your car, physically and emotionally?
Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
I bought it from eBay to be painted Classic Silver (1F7 paint code), so hopefully it matches my xB well.

I'd like to have another person help me out, but I'd prefer to do this myself. But I will definitely invest interest in 3M mounting tape. Do the two bolts (I've heard it only has one for each side rather than two for each side for the OEM spoilers) hold it up well and is it sturdy?

Do you think I should wax the spoiler when it gets in, for extra protection? Supposedly it's primed, painted at least 2 times, and then two clear coats applied.

How hard was it to drill your car, physically and emotionally?
you need 2 people to do it, 1 to hold the spoiler, 1 to mark the holes. it does use only 1 screw, hence the double sticky tape for extra support. i waxed after it was on and wax it when you do the car. i didnt mind drilling the holes
Old 04-01-2009, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ooh, that's not good. I only have me to hold it up. As soon as I get it I can't wait to put it on, so I'll have to find a makeshift method of temporarily mounting it in order to mark the holes.

And so I wait...

The anticipation is killing me.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright! I received my spoiler in the mail yesterday and today, on a very bright, beautiful Saturday, I went ahead and mounted it on there. The below pictures detail the progress I made:

A shot of the equipment I received. Has t-strips, screws, and that's it. No instructions or anything:

So I have my hatch open here and have taken the plug out from the left side. I needed to tie back the wire harness and realized that I didn't have a zip tie! So what did I do?? I ghetto-tied it:

This is me taking an oreo cookie and holding it up to the car. No, it's the plug from the right side to detail just how easy it is to remove:

Taped off the area on the left side of the hatch with paint tape:

Here's the right side taped off. Pretty easy to take care of this. I just sized the spoiler against the car to get a decent estimation of where to drill the holes. Then laid out tape to prevent raw metal shards from sneaking into crevices:

A shot of the holes I drilled on the left side:

A shot of the right side. I laid down some clear coat primer with rust protection to prevent the holes from rusting:

And here's the finished product after mounting it and cleaning up!

All-in-all, it took me under two hours. Not too shabby. And the spoiler fits perfectly on the vehicle and looks great. The paint code is perfect and the spoiler is light weight, so there is no issues with the liftgate.

The last thing I have to do is wash my car to remove any other traces of metal I missed.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member

Did you leave the black foam? Mine I took off and used double side black tape, the one to use on vent visors. Look nice and clean, but the two holes on the left side damn!
How much for the spoiler? mine cost $125 shipped to Puerto Rico.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I left the black foam on there. It seemed pretty... protective, in my opinion. I should have picked up some double sided tape but I was in too much of a hurry. I'm sure it won't hurt it or anything.

As for the holes, it was all about positioning. I drilled the second one in there, but it turns out I put it too far up towards the top of the hatch, which pressed the spoiler against the body of the car whenever I put the door up.

I'm going to readjust it tomorrow so that it is closer towards the top, but without hitting or causing any issues with it. I think then that I might go ahead and pick up some double sided tape for it.

Oh yeah, mine was about $125 shipped. The can of primer clear coat was... $6.00 probably. Not bad at all for my first time modifying my car to this magnitude. It was a difficult, difficult thing for me to generate the courage to drill my car.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="pyroman131"]
And here's the finished product after mounting it and cleaning up!

quote]

why is the spoiler not alighned up against the top of the hatch? mine fits flush. im assuming its the foam tape.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member

That's right when I was measuring the spoiler with the foam, it touch the roof when opened the back door. That's because I had to removed to it fit properly .
Old 04-05-2009, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I'm thinking that might be the best option is to remove the foam. It forces me to move the spoiler down the hatch a little more in order to accommodate its fit. Tomorrow I will rework it to make it fit a little better, but I'm not sure if I want to invest nearly as much time as I did yesterday. But the corrected finish would be significantly better.

My agenda is to pick up 3M tape, remove the foam, reapply it to the surface, and align it correctly so as to eliminate any further gaps that hinder its visual appeal.

Beyond that, I think it looks amazing on my car. The spoiler certainly finishes the look and I am very impressed with my work.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update:

So I went ahead and removed the foam tape and sat the spoiler against the hatch using a thin layer of 3M bonding tape. I had to readjust the holes I drilled slightly in order to align it correctly and prevent it from scratching up against the car whenever I lift or close the hatch.

So it looks a lot better on there, but I'm thinking another good project for me to do is get some products to seal up any holes I have. What would you recommend to put in there in order to prevent water leaking into the hatch? I'm thinking some type of putty compound and then putting on layers of primer and clear coat, or perhaps something close to the paint code. I don't plan on removing the spoiler ever now that I have the OEM-like one on there.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:55 PM

FYI... I did a write up on how I installed the same spoiler but from spoilerexpress.com on clubxb.com here is the link if interested.

I removed the foam, and didn't use double sided tape and it's been solid since I installed a month ago.

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f16/diy...gen-27938.html
Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looking good keep it up
Old 05-02-2009, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad you like it. I think it turned out super awesome on my car. It totally makes it look a lot better, AND the eBay spoiler looks just like the OEM one. So for people who don't have the bones to blow $300+ on a spoiler plus install, this is a great option for you. My car looks so hot after the mods I did to it.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looking good.... makes me feel more comfortable ordering one for myself knowing others are satisfied..
Old 05-03-2009, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mdiesel64
Looking good.... makes me feel more comfortable ordering one for myself knowing others are satisfied..
I'd recommend buying from The Spoiler Store on eBay. This is the place I ordered mine from, and there have been innumerable positive reviews. The paint codes from them are identical to the color of the cars. There was no difference between the paint on my spoiler and that of my box. So I'd definitely recommend them and am very confident in their performance and reliability.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks for the write up! I will be installing the spoiler on my B today.